• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

My Fuse weighs 177, which is the same weight as my Vector and Axis, give or take a gram. I can't imagine throwing the Fuse at any weight lighter than that... something about it seems.... off. Either way, I prefer the Fuse to a Comet because I use the fuse almost exclusively for holding long annys with it. Never thrown a Mako before.

I don't know why they're being compared. One is a slow, neutral mid, the other is a fast, understable mid. They're in different classes.

Either way I played a disced down round today and had fun. Nothing faster than a JLS and I brought out a 2nd run Ion, 164g Ion and Fuse to mess around with. Might put the Fuse back in my bag, I had fun with it today. 164g Ion going back in for sure. Flirted with the idea of putting with my 2nd run Ion because the concaved flight plate is really comfy and I like the lack of fade but I think I'll stick with my 171 3rd run.

I did a putter round today and did really well. Scored a 56.

All I took out was two ions and my soft summit. I threw the summit twice I think. Either way, I can't wait to get back out and beat that score. Feeling hot.

Just wanted to brag that after switching to using midranges for most shots from not using them at all a month ago, I just banged out an ace with my DX Roc. Can you say, convinced?

2 rounds today. First one was solo and pretty much all Fuse and Swan. Shot clean and straight with few mistakes. Second round I got greedy in the woods, threw a driver a few times, and paid the price with bogies. Shoulda stuck to the Fuse and mids. Live and learn I guess.

My bag for the foreseeable future will consist of just four discs, understable and overstable Ions, axis, and vector.
This includes all rounds both casual and tournament.
Accuracy issues have plagued me and its time to address them :)
*subject to change upon release of an mvp driver

I wish I could just go all putter in tournaments, or at least all putter and mid, but there are just so many holes around here that I can't reach in three or even four with a putter or mid. If I could throw a mid 300 feet, I'd go for it, but I struggle to get that far with my leopard, so I at least have to take fairway drivers, like leopard, teebird, banshee, etc. I find myself not using mids very much, because there's so little gap between my putters and fairways. I'm getting 225 with putters and 275 with fairways, so the fairways are basically my mids, I guess. I tried adding distance drivers in for a while, but I just can't control them, so I'm back to putter and fairway drivers for now.

I wish I could just go all putter in tournaments, or at least all putter and mid, but there are just so many holes around here that I can't reach in three or even four with a putter or mid. If I could throw a mid 300 feet, I'd go for it, but I struggle to get that far with my leopard, so I at least have to take fairway drivers, like leopard, teebird, banshee, etc. I find myself not using mids very much, because there's so little gap between my putters and fairways. I'm getting 225 with putters and 275 with fairways, so the fairways are basically my mids, I guess. I tried adding distance drivers in for a while, but I just can't control them, so I'm back to putter and fairway drivers for now.

Control is better than distance anyway :)
I'm going to run into plenty of holes I won't be able to reach with my new setup, but I figure its better to come up short and accurate then it is to throw 400' in the wrong direction :p

I don't know why they're being compared. One is a slow, neutral mid, the other is a fast, understable mid. They're in different classes.
Really, the comparison in this context comes from the fact that you can't throw either like a torque monkey and get away with it.
It sounds to me like throwing mids and putters more often is the cure for what ails yah. Three Putt said something the other day that made a lot of sense. Before all the drivers got wide rimmed and faster, everybody naturally developed their throw so that they got good height under their discs, b/c with the slower discs you need height to get the distance. Now, everyone's throwing low line drives b/c people go straight to the distance drivers when they start out and that basic fundamental of putting height under a throw is being lost.

You might just have to bite the bullet and shelve your drivers for awhile b/c if you're not getting much distance difference between your putters and drivers it's very likely that you're suffering from this same malady and need to learn or relearn it. :\

Dunno if I posted about it in this thread before but I've been applying the discing down philosophy to forehand to help me improve my form and distance.

I played another forehand only putter round today. I was really happy with my drives on #4 and #6, they were each about 250' long and very controlled...no turnover or anything I didn't want to happen. Had some other not so great drives too but it's a learning process :) Only need a little more than 100' more D to catch up with my backhand putter throws :rolleyes: wish me luck on that one I'll need it.

You either have a lot of time, dedication or natural ability. Or a combination of the three. If you hit 350' FH with a putter with decent control, you have made game. Congratulations on 250' though. That's a sweet shot to have.

Fuse is like a less touchy element. At low speeds it glides better, and at high speed it doesn't turn as sharply, but they do cover a lot of the same lines.

Discing down is the best thing that I have ever done for my game. I consider myself to be more of a disc minimalist to begin with but taking all the discs out of my bag except my wizards and buzz helped me in multiple ways. First and foremost I got to know those discs better because I used for every shot I had. It didn't matter if it was a 250' hole in the woods or a 500' wide open hole I would throw a wizard or a buzzz. Discing down also helped me push the limits of my shorter discs more controllable discs. I can drive my wizard consistently around 275' and the buzzz 315'. I learned to throw the shortest disc I had to for the hole that way I would have the most control over the disc at the end of its flight with less skip or fade or whatever.

Discing down also helped me with my putting as well. Once I took the longer discs out of my bag my drives were obviously shorter at first which gave me more opportunities to work on my putts outside the circle.

I would recommend discing down to anyone that is fresh into the sport, having driving problems, disc control problems, problems with their form, or trouble with upshots and approaches. This is by far the best learning technique for the sport.

Just had a 4 player single disc, buzz only disc run at an 18 hole course. (3 buzz, 1 buzz ss)

I don't know what distance you "should" get on a buzz, but was getting 250-300' depending on effort.
Throwing hyzer, it never flipped past flat, and then faded back.

Is that sufficient? Wasn't sure what I was looking for.. besides wobble or immediate turning right and nailing the ground from wrist roll.

300' on a Buzzz is good. There are players that can throw them farther, but 300' is a decent benchmark. If you can consistently hit 300' then you should be able to get a workable fairway driver somewhere from 325'-350'. But the drivers can be a little more nose angle sensitive compared to your Buzzz. How are you doing with putters?

Haven't tested them much.. but did dart at BRP #4 and got it pretty good down the lane, it didn't flip over right, just straight.
Got a dart, xd, and a polecat to throw... no aviar =p

Straight with a putter is good. If I come up with a case of the OATsies I flip the crap out my Pures.

I don't know what distance you "should" get on a buzz, but was getting 250-300' depending on effort.
Throwing hyzer, it never flipped past flat, and then faded back.

Is that sufficient? Wasn't sure what I was looking for..

You're primarily looking for good control on a variety of lines. The "useful range" of any disc is disputable, but a Buzzz is a decent choice for shots as short as 150' or as long as 400', and the sweet spot for nice controlled flights of all types is more like 250'-325'.

If the disc is going where you want it to, then you're doing alright. If you want more detailed feedback, you can always post a video of your throw for critique.