• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Your bag looks pretty solid! I had luck with DX TeeBirds my first couple years. How far do you throw? Champions are alot more overstable and would compliment the River nicely. I'd get rid of the Rat and keep the Harp.

Your bag looks pretty solid! I had luck with DX TeeBirds my first couple years. How far do you throw? Champions are alot more overstable and would compliment the River nicely. I'd get rid of the Rat and keep the Harp.

Thanks. I actually got a Champ Teebird before I bought the DX, I think the Campion one is too overstable for me right now. I also just got the Harp, I'm thinking it might kick out the Rat and the Bard. I'm throwing my drivers about 290-320 and mids about 250-275. Measurements are courtesy of Udisc.

Hey I like that Tursas in the bag.. I'm a TP Tursas guy myself. How's that River flying for you compared to the DX Teebird? Can you get it to turn over for anhyzers alright?

I didn't have the love for the opto River like what I read on here I went to a 167 star Roadrunner personally but I think they're real similar.

*also personally I'm taking this week off from discing down.. Insanity, Inertias, ended up throwing the Volt in the bag and my Axis so I can gauge my progress and I've got enough ooomph to make them work again.

Last edited:
Hey I like that Tursas in the bag.. I'm a TP Tursas guy myself. How's that River flying for you compared to the DX Teebird? Can you get it to turn over for anhyzers alright?

I didn't have the love for the opto River like what I read on here I went to a 167 star Roadrunner personally but I think they're real similar.

*also personally I'm taking this week off from discing down.. Insanity, Inertias, ended up throwing the Volt in the bag and my Axis so I can gauge my progress and I've got enough ooomph to make them work again.

The Tursas is my favorite mid. And I love my River. I use it for hyzer flips and long turnovers. It's great at finishing long and right (RHBH). Flies great. The DX Teebird is still pretty stable, long straight flight with a predictable fade. I'm hoping that by discing down, I can get more consistent accuracy. I can throw my longest drivers about 375 but they end up just sprayed all over the fairway/rough.

Thanks. I actually got a Champ Teebird before I bought the DX, I think the Campion one is too overstable for me right now. I also just got the Harp, I'm thinking it might kick out the Rat and the Bard. I'm throwing my drivers about 290-320 and mids about 250-275. Measurements are courtesy of Udisc.

The Discmania FD is a good premium plastic fairway for the DX Teebird style flight. DX Teebirds are amazing, but if you want something that doesn't beat in then these are somewhat close...DX Teebirds do have incredible glide though.

Make sure you throw neutral putters too, don't lean on the Harp too much if you don't have to if you're wanting to really learn from discing down.

Make sure you throw neutral putters too, don't lean on the Harp too much if you don't have to if you're wanting to really learn from discing down.

I was gonna say this earlier but I was on my phone. Even an Envy is likely more beef than would be instructive. Something like a Proxy, Magic, Magnet, etc would be excellent for getting that buttery smooth down.

I can get behind that!!!

I was thinking about this thread... I disced down through the fall and winter.. Fell off the wagon a month back. Tournament is coming...

So I improved my form significantly :). I can get my putters out past 200 now let's say 220' ish I haven't measured closely. I can get a Comet to fly 260ish but it turns out I'm old or something I'm down to a solid 300 on flat ground. Thing is my putters and mids are killer this year and I get great distance from my fairway drivers.. With a height advantage of say 5' I can thump a 320 drive with 10ft I can easily get 370.

I think a Gstar Teebird is a great disc between a DX Teebird and a Champion Teebird. More durable then the dx but not as stable as the champ.

I picked up a few mids and putters in the offseason and was wondering which ones would you guys recommend for working on my form. My mids are the Elite Z Buzzz, the VIP Warship, Star Roc, Star Mako, Elite Z BuzzzOS, Lucid Verdict and my putters are Lucid Warden, Champion Aviar, Zero Hard Daggers, and the Luna.

I went overboard and now I'm not sure what would benefit me most. I'm only getting my putters out to 180ft. and my mids maybe 215ft or so.

I picked up a few mids and putters in the offseason and was wondering which ones would you guys recommend for working on my form. My mids are the Elite Z Buzzz, the VIP Warship, Star Roc, Star Mako, Elite Z BuzzzOS, Lucid Verdict and my putters are Lucid Warden, Champion Aviar, Zero Hard Daggers, and the Luna.

I went overboard and now I'm not sure what would benefit me most. I'm only getting my putters out to 180ft. and my mids maybe 215ft or so.

All of those putters should be fine, I have never thrown a Dagger but I'm sure they are pretty neutral too.

For mids the Mako and Warship should be the most neutral...the Buzzz as well but some of them are pretty firm on the initial stability. While the Verdict is a great disc on the course and a perfect complement to the Buzzz/Mako, it is a bit too overstable to be able to smooth out there when working on form, and it will correct poor angles because of its stability. The BuzzzOS is very overstable and I would not use it for practicing form, it likes being thrown very hard. I have never thrown a Star Roc, it's likely a good choice...just if it fades as hard as the Verdict or BuzzzOS for you then again it wouldn't be the best for form work.

Basically if you need to throw a disc as hard as possible to make it go straight, it's not the best for form work. And if it has a ton of fade, then it will also fly basically the same no matter what you do unless you add a lot more velocity. You want discs that hold the release angle that you put on them, and that will still fly well at only 70% effort. You just don't want to have to think "I need to crush this to keep it going straight".

Cough. Cough. Has someone made the inevitable "Comet" suggestion yet? Considered the ultimate disc for diagnosing form and good for throwing.

I already have a Buzzz and thought the Comet was close enough number wise to it that it would be pretty much the same thing. It looks like I better include one in my disc order, I have also had a Buzzz SS but I lost that in a pond 2 years ago and never got it back.

Could a Comet cover all the same shots a Buzzz can? It sounds like a stupid question but I seriously have never threw a Comet.

I already have a Buzzz and thought the Comet was close enough number wise to it that it would be pretty much the same thing. It looks like I better include one in my disc order, I have also had a Buzzz SS but I lost that in a pond 2 years ago and never got it back.

Could a Comet cover all the same shots a Buzzz can? It sounds like a stupid question but I seriously have never threw a Comet.

Well bud are you in for a treat! I used to be a big Buzzz guy.. Then I got a Comet and then my form got better and then I went from 2 Buzzz to 1.. And now im a gyro elitist.. Except for the Comet.or two, or the six backups..

Seriously though Buzzz / Comet is a solid pairing.. Comet isn't great for FH.. But there is nothing quite like it.. It's one of those discs people are always comparing other discs to.

They are different. I like all 3 of those discs. Comet is fantastic for practicing form as well.

Buzzz and BuzzzSS are same family....line drive mids, fly anywhere from 5/4/0/1.5 for a fresh Buzzz to 5/5/-1/1ish for a BuzzzSS. And Buzzzes can get beat in to take the place of a BuzzzSS. Personally I love the flight of the BuzzzSS, easy to get hyzer flips for straight shots, but not as consistent in wind and at high power as the Buzzz. These are great for line drive shots, tunnels, holding angles when thrown hard, and getting out there far for a midrange.

The Comet is more in the 4/5/-1/0 style flight. Basically they can have anywhere from 0/1 stability when new to -1/0. But the key is they are slower, have tons of glide, and hold lines until the end of flight. They do better on high lines to let them glide until the ground, and can power down very well so they are easier to throw shorter shots with.

The Comet is more similar to throwing your putter for what lines it likes, but with the midrange disc glide and distance. The Buzzz is more like throwing your fairway driver, punch it out there hard, but it goes shorter and doesn't hit the ground as fast so it's more controlled than a fairway. I like having both styles of mids in the bag, some courses or shots work much better with one than the other.

back in the day, (1987 or so), I used to use a Discraft Hawk but they are now hard to find in anything but pro D plastic so I moved to the Buzzz, I'll give the Comet a try and let you know how I like it, I see it's available in a lot of different plastics.

Try the X-Comet first! I think the X is best for anyone's first Comet.

Yes but... if durability is an issue look for a flatter top ESP.. I play on rockpiles that eat the new "X" plastic, also probably less than -174g as a starting point.

(I kinda miss Keller the Yeller picture, but Ackkkkkk!)

Yes but... if durability is an issue look for a flatter top ESP.. I play on rockpiles that eat the new "X" plastic, also probably less than -174g as a starting point.

(I kinda miss Keller the Yeller picture, but Ackkkkkk!)

Back for a limited time !!!:p

Still go with X-Comets, they only get better the more beat up they get. But I guess if you throw in the rocks, makes sense to go with a more durable plastic.

Latest posts