• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

The FD is one of the few fairway drivers I've thrown that I can always throw full power without repercussion. While they do power down great and can definitely be worked on finesse lines, they do just fine when you get on them too. Keep in mind though, I'm talking about throwing with clean form and avoiding OAT due to overthrowing. They're pretty much point and shoot discs (with the flat C's being more overstable), so rolling your wrist over or really torquing them out can definitely cause them to flip or become unreliable, but overall they can handle a good bit of clean power and still do what you ask of them.

^^^ Yep

The S-FD is the most reliable driver in my bag. At my distance (~330' max) S-FDs in the mid-160s are just dead straight, never turning unless I throw anny. I do have one used 165 that I traded for, and it is starting to develop a very slight turn. I will be interested to see how the flight changes over time.

True. I've got three in the bag - flat C, domey C, domey S.

My flat C lines aren't too overstable if kept at a reasonable height. They are great for beat-Teebird-esque shots. My domey C line is a 1st run and it's great for point-and-shoot in calm conditions because the turn and fade usually cancel each other out. And my beat S line is my roller and low-power disc. For reference, I throw these from 325-375+.

I have yet to find domey C-line FDs anywhere. Were they a one-time thing, or are they regularly available somewhere?

I have yet to find domey C-line FDs anywhere. Were they a one-time thing, or are they regularly available somewhere?

I think they were just the first run? Someone else might be able to answer this. I just got one in a trade and didn't know it was a first run until someone told me. I love it for what it is - totally different disc than the flat C's. It's like a domey S in flight, but it doesn't change as quick as it wears in.

There's been 3 if I'm not mistaken. First had some done pretty straight. Second is flatter somewhat pearly and stiff as hell like the new firebirds. And the third is the signature disc for that good discmania player (I can't remember his name and too lazy to google it). The third has a mild dome, I remember seeing a YouTube video where this player talked about them.

From InnovaStore Finland Facebook-page:

The characteristics breakdown of different versions of the C-FD:

1st Run
Least stable of the three. Substantially glidey thanks to somewhat large dome. Also the slowest of the three, offering very midrange-like controllability. Most sensitive to power, but thanks to great glide can be a very long disc. Popular among people as the next step from D/S-FD and also pretty comparable to Champion Leopard, only a touch more stable and a bit more glidey.

2nd Run
Most stable of the three. Handles power the best of the three. Has a great forward-penetrating glide. Provides very straight lines for players that can reach 80m and up with it. Works as a more stable than truly straight driver for those who throw under 80m. Flattest of the three. Features extremely durable plastic material that has been lightened by adding blizzard bubbles. Could be described as a straighter and a touch longer TeeBird.

3rd Run (Jolly Launcher)
Stability sits between the 1st and the 2nd, but leans a touch more towards the 2nd. Dome-wise sits also between 1st & 2nd. Plastic is grippier and in many cases pretty clear. Also comparable to TeeBird, but this time with maybe a touch more turn and a more neutral finish. Very nice, effortless glide. This has lately been the popular pick.

This breakdown has been written by a player that reaches 100-110m with fairway drivers as range may affect the perception of flight characteristics. Based on field testing and reviews from forums etc.

I personally throw only the 1st run C-FD now. Stable enough for me, dont feel the need for a more stable FD, if I feel the need for more beef, then I disc up to a AJ Teebird or PD.

When the FD originally came out, I snagged a few FR S-FDs and loved them out of the box. Such straight lines, such crazy glide.... for some reason (beating in maybe) they got squirrelly for me this season, could never really rely on them to hit the tunnels I needed them to hit, as they would flip too often. (probably overpowering was a part of the problem, but when you screw up a shot often enough with a certain disc, whether it is your fault or the disc, you do develop a mistrust for that disc, which results in even more bad shots...) So I dropped them.

C-lines on the other hand I can pound with almost 100% and not worry about them doing anything I don't want them to. I have a medium arm, so the C-lines actually do want a pretty strong drive to stay straight, too little power and the fade kicks in too early for me.

1st Run C-Lines are tough to find here in the States (at least in the Charlotte area). They definitely fly the closest to the S-Lines. I think each run of the C-Line is awesome though. The 1st Run C-Lines are basically more durable s-lines, the 2nd Runs (flat/stiff/pearly) fly like mini Eagle Xs, and the 3rd Runs (mild dome/slight pearl) fall in between the 1st and 2nd Runs.

Broken in S-FD glides very well. And when you give it just the right amount of hyzer, it's just "pew pew lasers" like Kodachrome said. At the local course which is heavily wooded I released my S-FD a bit earlier than I meant to and it went stick straight all the way passing trees and extremely tight gaps. Straightest shot I've ever seen. Other day I was practicing in my backyard and hyzer flipped it for about 300' laser shot.

With too little hyzer/some OAT it just turned hard right and there ya are in middle of the forest. Acquiescent shot back to the fairway or a rage eyes-closed-smash to the next tree. Afterwards I think that those bad shots were just a result of my crappy technic with lots of OAT.

For me the S-FD wasn't a wind fighter either. I can't say if it was the disc or my technic again but few times I had some really crazy turns and burns against some headwind. Tail wind is a different story.. ;)

2nd run C-FD. Wow, completely a different disc. Resisted my OAT like a boss and flew a lot better in the wind too. Faster than the S-line and much more stable. It was more stable than a pretty new Star Teebird. For me it was also pretty nose angle sensitive.. Nose up throw and it didn't fly very far before fading strongly. But nose-down it flew straight with a tiny amount of turn and healthy fade at the end.

3rd run C-FD was almost the same as the 2nd run, just a hair less stable even though it was 7 grams heavier. It had also a slight dome while the 2nd run was pretty flat. Though I'm not 100% sure if it was 3rd run, but while being almost as stable as the 2nd run with no air bubbles I believe so.

I have no experiences about the 1st run C-FD but I believe I would like it the most of the four. D-FD might be a good beginner driver but base plastic discs aren't an option for me.

Last edited:
Picked a factory second FD from the Innova site and it has to be the flattest one I have seen! Already want to order another!

When Innova first announced the GStar line of discs, Dave Dunipace mentioned the FD being one that will be produced. Seems like the SG-line is returning to Discmania.

That will be interesting, I'm sure I'll pick one up (at least). Now I may actually have to go read the gstar thread

Picked a factory second FD from the Innova site and it has to be the flattest one I have seen! Already want to order another!

This is officially my first post, after spending a while lurking.

Anyhow...I'm a HUGE FD fan, just picked up the sport again about 6 months ago after several years away. Out of many discs I've tried, none has clicked with me as quickly and has been as versatile for me as the FD (2nd run).

I actually just ordered a few off the Innova site, but they were all 3rd run domey. What color did you order DThunder?

This is officially my first post, after spending a while lurking.

Anyhow...I'm a HUGE FD fan, just picked up the sport again about 6 months ago after several years away. Out of many discs I've tried, none has clicked with me as quickly and has been as versatile for me as the FD (2nd run).

I actually just ordered a few off the Innova site, but they were all 3rd run domey. What color did you order DThunder?

I wasn't able to choose my color but I ordered my C-line FD in the 165-169 range and it turned up as a 169 grams in greenish yellow. The x-outs i have seen at my local shop have all been domey. Maybe I was just lucky with this one? I ordered a second in the same weight range this week and will confirm if I have the same luck.

I have a couple questions for those who have 3rd run/factory second C-FD's.

Could someone post a profile pic (perhaps next to a 2nd run, or maybe even a 1st)?

Is it JL champ plastic, or stiffer champ plastic like the 1st and 2nd run were?

And, unrelated, I sure wish P-FD's were a thing!

I have a couple questions for those who have 3rd run/factory second C-FD's.

Could someone post a profile pic (perhaps next to a 2nd run, or maybe even a 1st)?

Is it JL champ plastic, or stiffer champ plastic like the 1st and 2nd run were?

And, unrelated, I sure wish P-FD's were a thing!

Here's 2nd and 3rd run C-Line FD's:

2nd run left, 3rd run on the right
WP_000149.jpg

My 3rd run is JL.

Here's 2nd and 3rd run C-Line FD's:

2nd run left, 3rd run on the right

My 3rd run is JL.

Woah, that's not a subtle difference at all. Thanks for the pic! I know the FD is meant to be a domey glidey mold, but the 2nd run are so good - one of Innova's happiest molding accidents. I hope the ones I have last me, I've lost two already.. I don't think any other disc has inspried so many hoarding-instinct impulse buys as these CFD's. I have 6 total, should be 8 but 2 from my early orders turned out to be 1st runs.

What does 2nd run cFD fly like? They say more stable so does that mean like a tl?