• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Focus

prodfocusblu.jpg

I never would have thought of the focus as .5 stability while a challenger is 1. Am I the only one who thought the focus was more over stable then a challenger?

gator said:
prodfocusblu.jpg

I never would have thought of the focus as .5 stability while a challenger is 1. Am I the only one who thought the focus was more over stable then a challenger?

IMO the Focus is has more HSS and less LSS than the Challenger. When Challengers slow down they completely poop out (especially the softs). I played some catch with a soft on the beach and it was a pig. The only way to throw it straight at all was to flex it. If you threw it past its cruising speed though it turned into a roller almost immediately. On putts, if you put a touch of hyzer on a new Challenger it actually moves left during the flight, where the Focus holds the hyzer but flies straighter. I think the Focus glides much better.

So in general I think its way more complicated comparing their stabilities than Discraft's ultra-over simplified one number ranking system.

felt some of the elite x softs this week... not a fan. I was hoping the soft would have been similar to a soft mag or challenger.

It's pretty slick, feels kind of like flx to me... Not a great plastic for a putter IMO

Wow....they actually DID make a lot of black ones!

Anyone played with the new run in proD yet? If so, how is the plastic?

I just got a team sample of two soft, two reg, and a Nuke. Softs are def going for sale and the regs are a little softer than what I want. Sure wish they would make this disc is some stiff plastic like my Mags.............might actually use the thing.

I'd like to order my Foci in the JK-Aviar-X plastic please...lol. The light blue JK's feel fantastic! I do like the Focus, I just prefer my putters to be firm yet tacky...like a firm Gateway SS.

Going back to the stability post near the top of the page, I feel sort of the same way as both gator and discspeed. Parts of the flight of a Focus seem much more overstable than a Challenger (softx vs. softx). I also haven't had the chance to throw the Focus on many high lines yet, so the glide comparison is hard for me to make. I would add that the Focus gives me the impression that it is faster than a Challenger. It always seems to be about 20 feet further than I thought it would be. I knew when I purchased the Focus that I wouldn't like them for putting, just not a fan of big beads, a la Wizard. I do feel like they will make good driving putters in all stages of wear though. Would really like to get some more and see how they fly once seasoned. I have never gotten a Challenger, even a light one, to behave how I wanted it to for some shots. Anyways, I like the new disc, and am excited about throwing it some more. I also like the plastic, which sounds like I am in the minority. Haven't thrown the Pro-D yet either.
KP

Without a doubt a good disc and the proD plastic does get nicked and nocked but I don't really care. Seems to me a lot like a Wizard and a decent alternative to one at a lower price and in more color options.

That being said, I had a good run with the Focus but went back to my Voodoos this week due to liking the grip better for a cleaner release. Just a personal preference thing, no knock on the Focus.

Man, we had some great times! < insert hazy cinematic scenes of some kick-ass putts we made together ... >

I got a chance to touch one of the production versions yesterday at the store and I liked the feel of the plastic. Sort of between the feel of a Soft Magnet and regular Magnet. I'd say similar to the SS Wizard feel. I like the feel of the plastic better than the Ace Race version I've got but the disc itself feels like it has a bit more dome to it. It felt bigger in hand to me, where the AR version felt a bit lower profile.

I like the feel of the Wizards better though and they've been a good disc for me so I'm sticking with them.

I still like the Magnet best out of the Discraft putter lineup.

I have been messing around with these and I will say that they have the same hss as a wizard but less lss. I like that reliable fade on a disc so I will probably end up going back to the wiz kids.

Just got done with my weekly putting league using the Pro D Focus for all rounds and it has officially replaced the Magnet in my bag. This thing bangs.

People around here hate the focus. There is close to a dozen sitting in the used bin at a local store here. :lol:

I was surprised by the .5 stability rating as well. I think the Focus (and the wizard for that matter) are more overstable than a Challenger. Does anyone else have one of the ESP ace race ones? I have 1 ESP and 1 D ace race Focus. The D one is basically interchangeable with my wizards. The ESP one is a PIG. Like almost competing with the VP. If I throw my ESP with a fairly stiff anny angle, it will fight its way back to stable and do a full S in like 250 feet. Ridiculous.

How do the production ProDs beat in? I have the Ace Race one and really like the feel of it and like throwing it off the tee. It got banged up pretty quick but I didn't notice that the flight characteristics changed much after the quick initial beat phase.

Leave t to me to bring back an old discuession but I finally picked up a focus the other day.

I normally putt with soft X challangers so I figured I'd give a soft X focus a shot. For me the focus was straighter and hardly had any fade at th end. Just seemed a bit less overtable then my beat softX challangers.

Great putter for me. I'll need to pick up a couple more as it looks like it will be replacing my challangers.

Gremlin,
I throw challengers right now and I am getting very fed up with the lack of glide when I putt with them. As soon as it starts to slow down it just drops.
Does the Focus have more glide than a challenger?

colombo117 said:
Gremlin,
I throw challengers right now and I am getting very fed up with the lack of glide when I putt with them. As soon as it starts to slow down it just drops.

Yes, but I believe they are a hair less stable, go right at the chains confidently!

colombo117 said:
Gremlin,

Can't really say for sure. I've only had one round with it so far(will have a couple more tomorrow) but to me it does seem like it has about t same glide as my challengers. I could be way off on that but for the round I played with it it just seemed like challenger with less fade at the end

i wouldnt compare them to a challenger, more so a wizard but when i started throwing the focus it was pretty disapointing since i was hoping it would be as stable as an old mold wizard, but instead it flys like an APX with more fade.