• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Plastics

It's interesting to me that multiple people say Z and Big Z fly different. I'm by no means a Discraft expert, but I thought they were the same plastic just with different stamps. Apparently not?

Big Z feels and flat a little less "champy" IMO. It feels as much like star as ESP does and every mold I had in both plastics the Big Z was less stable out of the box. Again all of this is just my experience.

First, I believe Big Z is actually Z and ESP mixed together, not Ti. The 2017 Tour series discs had Ti mixed with Z.

I'm curious what newer Big Z is like now that they have a new ESP blend.

As for Z FLX, it depends on the mold. Some get more OS, others more US.

Also, nobody has mentioned CryZtal. That can add some serious overstability to a disc due to the way it cools. See the 2018 Ledgestone CryZtal Mantis.

I found a brand new Big Z Nuke to be flippier than a 7/10 Z Nuke. But, that's a very small sample size. The Big Z does feel and look great.

First, I believe Big Z is actually Z and ESP mixed together, not Ti. The 2017 Tour series discs had Ti mixed with Z.

I'm curious what newer Big Z is like now that they have a new ESP blend.

As for Z FLX, it depends on the mold. Some get more OS, others more US.

Also, nobody has mentioned CryZtal. That can add some serious overstability to a disc due to the way it cools. See the 2018 Ledgestone CryZtal Mantis.

I think the reason is because that it is OOP and it is not on their website. Maybe they are in limited runs but I havent seen one in a good while.

I think the reason is because that it is OOP and it is not on their website. Maybe they are in limited runs but I havent seen one in a good while.

CryZtal has usually been used for special runs. It as well as Glo Z tend to be more stable than the same disc in Z.

Since I've started throwing Buzzz's a few years ago, I've found that the Crystal Zs are money (very stable - straight).
The Big Z seemed to be a bit flippy, as does Jawbreaker.

Old Ti was definitely more stable in most molds than the new bright Ti. Dull Ti also would take ages to beat in. New Ti beats faster.

All my "old" Ti is the most OS in that mould. . .new Ti is often in the middle but has good glide

Zflx is odd. . .my challenger is the most US by far. . but the Zone in Zflx is my most OS ( and the Cryztal )
Undertaker in Zflx are a hair more US than Z . . .Crank in Zflx has really good glide and similar to Z in stability

Like to combine Discraft moulds i different plastics. . . Ti and BigZ Vulture is a good combo . . .so in Zflx and Ti Undertaker. . .old Ti Buzzz and Z works fine as a pair

So the more people post in this thread, the more it sounds like there is significant variance from mold to mold, run to run (old Ti vs new Ti, etc), and even disc to disc. You can have a general idea based on plastic, but it can vary.

This makes me want to buy my discraft in person and look at all the PLHs.

So the more people post in this thread, the more it sounds like there is significant variance from mold to mold, run to run (old Ti vs new Ti, etc), and even disc to disc. You can have a general idea based on plastic, but it can vary.

This makes me want to buy my discraft in person and look at all the PLHs.

It is always about PLH. Every manufacturer has different plastics that cause mold variance. The list I ran down was jus my experience in a year of throwing exclusively Discraft plastics. I didn't throw every single mold obviously but I believe that I provided a pretty comprehensive list that would serve one well. There will always be variance and different opinions. but definitely get yourself some Discraft plastic.

Hey everyone I was wondering how the Discraft plastics are different compared to flight stability like OS vs under-stable.

The purple are the most overstable. Green is probably next. The most understable are lighter colors like pink and yellow.

But this doesn't hold true for the new Pro D plastic in the newer molds like the MRV, XL, and XPress.