• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Storm

adamschneider

Eagle Member
I recently placed an on-line order for some discs, and was mistakenly sent an X Storm (instead of a Stratus). They told me to just keep the Storm, so I took it out to the park and tossed it alongside my Z Buzzz a few times. This may be the STRAIGHTEST-flying disc I've ever seen, for 250' throws. It had less fade than the Buzz, and it went a little farther with the same power.

So, why was the Storm discontinued? It seems like a great disc to me.

adamschneider said:
This may be the STRAIGHTEST-flying disc I've ever seen, for 250' throws. It had less fade than the Buzz, and it went a little farther with the same power.
x2. But like Dave said it's a tweener. I found I only used it for long straight tunnels, and because of that I didn't throw it often enough throw it reliably.

I've heard a lot of people missing the Storm. I once learned to drive with it, and would like to give it a try again if it came back in production (My guess is it will be back sooner or later, maybe in Esp. It's too good to be gone forever). Until then my smooth top Core fills the same spot in the bag.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Just like the Buzzz is no replacement for the MRV, the Impact is no replacement for the Storm.

But, hardly anybody threw the storm, so it didn't sell well. I wouldn't be surprised if Discraft sold more Impacts due to new disc hype than they had sold Storms in the last 5 years.

It's a great disc, though. If you throw it with a hyzer or an anhyzer it'll hold that line all the way to the ground. Like freakily so. I put myself WAY off in the rough a few times with a Z storm expecting it to come out of the anhyzer or flip up from the hyzer...

I always thought they were great discs for one disc rounds, as with enough height you can bomb them, while still approaching and putting with a neutral stability disc.

They also were handy for navigating lines through trees where you need finesse and glide. Without much snap, you could make them S a bit and hit gaps predictably.

SkaBob said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Just like the Buzzz is no replacement for the MRV, the Impact is no replacement for the Storm.

But, hardly anybody threw the storm, so it didn't sell well. I wouldn't be surprised if Discraft sold more Impacts due to new disc hype than they had sold Storms in the last 5 years.

It's a great disc, though. If you throw it with a hyzer or an anhyzer it'll hold that line all the way to the ground. Like freakily so. I put myself WAY off in the rough a few times with a Z storm expecting it to come out of the anhyzer or flip up from the hyzer...

I miss the MRV

Frank Delicious said:
I miss the MRV

I've still got a stack of about 50 of 'em, if you don't mind waiting a while for me to be able to get to the post office to ship 'em! :wink:

Yeah, my first thought was that the Impact or Meteor probably doomed the Storm, but I think the Impact and Meteor both have more driver-like (S-curve) flights than the Storm does.

try a meteor if you want something that will go straighter, longer and have less fade then the buzzz, but be cautioned that it is very easy to turn over, the only reason i prefer the buzzz to it is because of the consistency of the buzzz

the invisible tree said:
Isn't the Squall almost identical to the Storm?
The Squall isn't as stable. It's pretty close to the Storm though, same speed. The Storm, Squall, and Stratus are all very similar in terms of shape and feel, and stability goes in that order.

Latest posts