• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disqualified after the round...

money 21 said:
come up to the gorge the players are much cooler. i won't play south of the portland area except in tourney any more because of the cry baby crap from the eugene guys. Dexter is the worst but peir can be bad on the weekend also.

Dexter sounds bad. I'm very happy that my local crew truly believes in Steady Ed's philosophy: most fun wins.

Pier Park had a lot of weird stuff going on last time I played there...the group ahead of us was damaging the baskets (stepping up and jumping on the basket rims, bending them). When I confronted them, their girlfriend got in my face saying I should "just chill out and get into the vibe like everybody else" and "dude, what is your problem, why are you harassing us" and that I was just "trying to start a fight." I was shocked, but my brother (Portland local) tells me that this is typical for Portland...maybe there are too many "Trust-afarians" in that town. If they had been doing that on my home course, I can assure you that there would be blood.

I've played with a lot of super-nice Oregon golfers, and can't recall seeing any poor behavior first-hand. But, that said... something about the vibe down there has kept me away from tourneys the past few years. More serious? More competitive?

JHern said:
... and that I was just "trying to start a fight." ...

If we saw someone do that at our course I am not sure there would be any trying. Guess there could be a use for those steelrimmed katanas we have been joking about on some holes. :)

Man, I got seriously pissed just reading that...

i only play pier for the big tourneys now, rose city and the NAAC. Head east tree top in The Dalles and north bonnie they are sweet and have cool dude and chics playing. if the jumping on the basket shit happened out here we would put that to an end real quick. In oregon the courses with locals to avoid are pier and dexter most of the rest don't have that vibe.

money 21 said:
i only play pier for the big tourneys now, rose city and the NAAC. Head east tree top in The Dalles and north bonnie they are sweet and have cool dude and chics playing. if the jumping on the basket shit happened out here we would put that to an end real quick. In oregon the courses with locals to avoid are pier and dexter most of the rest don't have that vibe.

Exactly. I've been in Eugene for years and I've played Adair, Bryant Park, Milo, and many other courses more than I've played Dexter(even though it's 15 miles from my house.) Cottage Grove has been pretty fun for a course close to Eugene. Sladden park in Eugene is the real hidden gem though. 8)

From his Facebook Page:
Robert Ryan
its official... i am suspended from pdga for one year..i could give a fuck pdga...they expect ME to publicly apologize to that piece of shit, before im allowed back....that will never happen..lol...

EDIT: Glad he'll never apologize, without that apology = no reinstatement.. He is so bad for the sport.

PDGA said:
Suspension:
A player who is placed on suspension by the PDGA shall forfeit all rights and privileges granted to members of the organization
for the length of term specified. These forfeited rights include, but are not limited to:
• Playing in any PDGA sanctioned events.
• Officiating in any PDGA sanctioned events.
• Directing any PDGA sanctioned events.
• Voting in PDGA elections.
• Holding any PDGA offices.
If a player is found to have violated the terms of the suspension, that player risks permanent loss of their PDGA membership.

I assume no PDGA Sanctioned tournaments and or events.

I noticed that the suspension says they lose membership rights and priveleges, including the right to compete in pdga sanctioned events. But non-members are able to compete in non-majors if the TD allows it. In contrast, members have the right to compete, which means that the TD cannot refuse them entry if the tournament is not filled. So they give up the "right" to compete that membership conveys, but that's not necessarily the same thing as saying that a TD will be sanctioned for allowing a suspended member to compete in their B tier or C tier event. Is there another rule that specifically addresses that issue?

The suspended player isn't a non-member, they are a suspended member. Meaning they cannot play a PDGA sanctioned event. If the TD lets them play, the TD runs the risk of getting non-sanctioned.
That would piss off a lot of players. When you sanction a tournament the PDGA sends you a list of suspended players and players on probation, so the TD couldn't claim they didn't know.

Is that what you mean?

I think the question is if the pdga member is suspended, what if they dropped their membership and tried to enter as a non-pdga member? would the suspension still be in effect if that person was no longer a pdga member?

Fritz said:
The suspended player isn't a non-member, they are a suspended member. Meaning they cannot play a PDGA sanctioned event. If the TD lets them play, the TD runs the risk of getting non-sanctioned.
That would piss off a lot of players. When you sanction a tournament the PDGA sends you a list of suspended players and players on probation, so the TD couldn't claim they didn't know.

Is that what you mean?

yeah that's what I meant. I don't know about anyone else.

Still, there are a lot of non-PDGA sanctioned tournaments...

Fritz said:

Is that what you mean?

Where in the sanctioning agreement does it say that the TD agrees to refuse entry to suspended members? I expect there must be something somewhere, but all I've seen that the TDs are obligated to do is not refuse entry to members, send the pdga $10 for every non-member who competes in a B or C-tier, refuse entry to non-members in A-tiers, majors, and NTs, enforce the PDGA rules of play, and get the results in by the end of the year.

I guess it's just the lawyer in me, but on it's face, the rule doesn't say that the suspended member can't compete in any tournaments. It says he loses the rights and privileges of PDGA membership. So that would seem to mean that he stands on the same footing as any non-member.

Fritz said:
PDGA said:
Suspension:
A player who is placed on suspension by the PDGA shall forfeit all rights and privileges granted to members of the organization
for the length of term specified. These forfeited rights include, but are not limited to:
• Playing in any PDGA sanctioned events.
• Officiating in any PDGA sanctioned events.
• Directing any PDGA sanctioned events.
• Voting in PDGA elections.
• Holding any PDGA offices.
If a player is found to have violated the terms of the suspension, that player risks permanent loss of their PDGA membership.

I assume no PDGA Sanctioned tournaments and or events.
I'm no lawyer. But that first bullet says it all. It does say all rights an privileges but goes on to spell out 5 of the rights. If you as a lawyer would want to argue the privileges that are not listed I would be glad to hear the case. But the quote above is clear as can be if you ask me. Loss of rights to include but not limited to playing any Pdga sanctioned event.

If its not that simple its No wondrer nobody understands law

I think they permaban you if you play a pDGA event while suspended.