• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY: From Xmas tree to DG basket

Very nice, looks really professional for such a diy job! Do the brackets that make up the lower basket cut up the disc when you putt?

Very nice! A couple weeks ago a guy posted a diy up who was a machinist of some sort and he had all of the metal he needed to do the job, I believe it was as a gift for a friend. Obviously his was probably a little more sturdy than yours but you definitely beat him in terms of looks, which is impressive for not having all of the needed materials. I wouldn't worry about the extra $10 or however much it was that you spent, I'd rather spend some extra money and do it myself. I'd get more satisfaction out of looking at my final product then buying a cheap instep.

Thanks very much guys! Appreciated for sure :) I really tried to find the best mix to keep the weight and price down, without sacrificing how sturdy or realistic it would be. I def. came across that 'wilson' basket in my searches for design tips. Cool basket!

Very nice, looks really professional for such a diy job! Do the brackets that make up the lower basket cut up the disc when you putt?

Thx! The brackets that make the basket sides are painted (came that way) and the edges are kinda rounded so there isn't really an issue. I even capped off the tips of the bolts with some plastic screw anchors for drywall that I cut down to size!

Sexi :D. Very cool looking basket if you had just posted a picture of the final result I would have had no idea what it was made out of.

Love the death basket picture :D.
269840_2191084666175_1518890866_2358595_7251801_n.jpg

Yeah, chains were half the damn cost, but I def wanted a realistic number and size. To be honest I'd be stoked if I could get 2-3 more made just like this. My brothers and I have a cabin near deep creek lake MD with some nice wooded lakeside property.would love to have a few holes set up throughout! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, chains were half the damn cost, but I def wanted a realistic number and size. To be honest I'd be stoked if I could get 2-3 more made just like this. My brothers and I have a cabin near deep creek lake MD with some nice wooded lakeside property.would love to have a few holes set up throughout! :D

Get it done and I will bring up 4 portables and we can have a 7 hole course :)

I've said it before but tire chains are nearly ideal. You can often find them for less than $5 a set particularly at this time of year and they are often unused. Just takes a hammer, cold chisel and a cutting surface like an anvil or piece of RR track, and a little muscle. Or you can use a pair of bolt cutters.

Wow, well done. I can tell you did your research on DIY baskets. You def incorporated some great ideas. i really like the hose to complete the basket look.

Thanks again guys. Prob my favorite part right now is the outer chain mounts. I bent each to mimic the "sliding" ability that is incorporated in most baskets I've seen. I was originally just thinking of using eye hooks but this design is great for high/slightly hard shots. Gives the disc a chance to drop in. I'm def gonna be keeping my eyes out at yard sales and flea markets for cheap umbrella/stands, xmas trees, etc.

Nice work! :clap: I'm big fan of DIY baskets. Especially those that are made of recycled or re-purposed materials. If your looking for other options for bases, might I suggest using an office chair base for your stand. That's what I used on mine and I love it. I can roll it around the garage if need be or when I need to remove the wheels, I can have them off in less then a minute without tools.

RestAreaFairway.jpg

tire chains huh... chains are the thing holding me back from completing the rest of my baskets... they cost so damn much. where the hell do you buy tire chains at?

You will want to wrap the L brackets with tape as well. I didn't want to wrap mine on my home made basket, but I've got a bunch on nicked up discs that made me do it. Pic below is before adding tape.

And to all the haters "for what it costs why don't you just go buy one?" ITS ABOUT THE FUN OF MAKING IT! Try it. You'll have fun doing it, and its a good project to involve a son, nephew, or annoying friend. No matter how you slice it you're gonna spend around 75-125 bucks.
IMG00154-20101125-0848.jpg

Latest posts