• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do Black Discs Burn You When It's Hot?

Moonshine

Double Eagle Member
Does this happen to anybody? I bought a couple of black putters today and I'm hesitant to use them in a round for fear of giving myself a second degree burn if I miss a putt and have to wait to pick one up. I left them in the sun for a few minutes and they got extremely hot. Does this bother anybody else? Am I just sensitive?

I use light colored putters in the summer. Dark for most of the rest of the time. Never can say I was hurt by a hot disc but yeah it gets uncomfortable if you leave it in the sun. I sometimes like using black in hot weather if I want the plastic to be soft and grippy. Other than that I stay away from black discs mostly.

I don't think they will be in the sun long enough for them to burn you especially if you keep them in your bag when your not using them. I have a black putter & it may get a little hotter than my white one but not enough to burn me.

images

I throw a black Stratus frequently.
They get warm but burns have never been even close to a problem.

I have a midnight Buzzz, never ever had this problem. I don't leave it on the dashboard of my car or anything either though............

I'd imagine the plastic would melt if it got hot enough to actually burn you, especially if we're talking second degree burns. I have one black driver that I use on occasion (try not to use it in the woods or on unfamiliar holes) and it's sat out in the sun for a few minutes multiple times while my group made our way down the fairway. Never had it be too hot to touch or even pick up and throw again on the next shot.

I've gotten a pretty bad burn from a black disc.

I drove with a putter, parked it under the basket. I was in a group of four. Since I was first it was a few minutes before I got to it, roasting in the sun. When I grabbed it my hand blistered into an eleventy degree burn. Did not finish the round.;)

LOL, I guess my second degree burn comment did not come off as sarcastically as I intended. Thanks for the input though, I'll only be using these babies to putt so it seems like I should be OK.

Nooo! I just ordered 3 Black Zero line Pures that I love!

Fortunately, I live where the temperature rarely gets over 80, and it is typically in my bag, not in the Sun.. I'm not taking to my visit my step-mother's house near Sacramento in the Summer though. I'll take a light Blue Judge instead. I bent a bunch of discs the last time I went there.

Yeah, they will get warm on you, and I would hate to see a floppy black vibram putter in 104 degree heat. Switch to the firm putters in the summer...........

If you pick it up and its hot, drop it. Of course, you might incur a "that was a toss and thus a stroke" penalty from a rule nazi, but thems the breaks...er, burns.

Otherwise, I'm with NumSkul on this. And, obviously, you know nothing about moonshine. For instance, it doesn't turn its imbibers into pantywaists who complain about something they bought to make themselves look "cool"...er, hot. Usually it increases the bone mass in their heads, which facilitates punchouts and a general lack of coherent thought.

Last edited:
And, obviously, you know nothing about moonshine. For instance, it doesn't turn its imbibers into pantywaists who complain about something they bought to make themselves look "cool"...er, hot. Usually it increases the bone mass in their heads, which facilitates punchouts and a general lack of coherent thought.

I'm pretty sure looking cool is out of the question when you are playing disc golf, so no worries there. Seems like you have plenty of experience with the 'shine.:D

Speaking of hot black discs , anyone have any idea where to obtain some black Kc pro aviars for non ridiculous prices? :D

I have a buttload of black wizards. Never had a burn, but I can tell you they do get softer way quicker than a lighter colored disc. Keep that in mind, especially with putters where we all tend to use a more basic plastic blend

Latest posts