• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do the most, with the least

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
I'm looking to build a bag that will let me do the most, with the least amount of discs. I want to keep a minimum of three discs (putter, mid, driver), but no more than five. If you had to choose 3-5 of the most versatile/reliable discs possible, what would they be, and why?

My three would be:
Ridge
Buzzz/Roc
TeeBird

and maybe add in a Predator and a Leopard to make 5.

Probably Esp Cyclone, Z Surge and Grip Spike (I know, there's no mid there, but Cyclone works well at slow speed and Spike almost reach mid-like distance)

My bag is pretty much set up this way.

Cyclone X and ESP Cover all my driver shots. Great distance even with my limited power.
Buzzz Z and X cover my midrange shots pretty well. Sometimes I want a comet back.
Wizard Putting and short drives.

I have seen better scores and more consistancy since going to a limited set up. Once I push the cyclone well over 300 on a consitant basis I will look into a distance driver. I pulled the distance drivers out and my frustration level has dropped. I also carry a Eagle X for windy days.

those three look good to me. I'd add some longer stuff and push it to 5. Max D/wind+ shaping potential=wraith, destroyer. Down wind D/big turns= SL, sidewinder.

Even a small bag will hold 10 discs and 10 discs do not weigh very much. At a recent tournament a friend of mine had a caddy. He only carries a small bag and it looked odd as heck. It made no sense to me.

Are you hoping to use fewer discs so you can carry more beer?

Going down to 3 or 5 discs seems like an artificial restriction. Why would you want to do this? How can you not carry a back up for your primary straight, hyzer and anhyzer drivers? I lost a disc last week in the top of a 50 foot tree and one 10 feet off the fairway (I saw it land and spent 20 minutes looking for it, how do they hide so well?) This summer has been so rainy the rough has been swallowing up discs regularly.

I don't use midrange discs very often but still need at least two and carry three. I have gone to throwing Nukes and am fascinated with the glide and distance but still can't dial them back to control them for shorter shots. So I have traded out a few Z Flashes for Nukes. But I still need the Flash for its control. The battle to make the starting line-up keeps getting tougher. Fringe discs are getting put on the sidelines.

I struggle to keep my bag down to 18 discs. If it were bigger I would carry more, so I purposely don't want a bigger bag, just to avoid the weight. In a summertime tournament with back up discs and lots of water my bag weighs a ton. Thank God for dual straps and a camping chair. If I had a strong enough caddy I would carry 40 discs.

Funny, my bag blew up to 10 (of a usual 8) for one round this weekend, and I had 4 in mind before I got out of bed today...

S Omega
Z Wasp (small stamp, flat)
Timberwolf
S PD

PS- always an even number for me so the count is easy to confirm I did not leave one behind

I answered based on molds. I carry 2 of each disc or plastic type that I throw. I would hate to be in the middle of a round and lose my driver and then be stuck.

3-5 discs total.

Why?

Mainly, I don't like carrying a bag. Even small bags I find cumbersome. The Spider Money I have now is a great bag, but more often than not I leave it at home. It's not the weight, either. It's just the fact that I have to set my bag down, get my disc out, throw, pick up my bag, walk to the disc, set the bag down again, take out another disc/mini, take my second shot, put the first disc/mini in the bag, pick up the bag, reapeat as necessary. The courses I play are not very long, nor do they have long walks between holes. I don't carry a lot of stuff - I don't need a stool, I don't play in the rain, and I rarely need a beverage during a round. My Spider Monkey stands up nicely so I guess this point is moot, but most other small bags flop over when you set them down, spill your discs out, and get all dirty. Then when you put the bag over your shoulder, you get all dirty, too.

I don't play very often, either. I'll play maybe once or twice a week, and usually only a round or two each time. This dosen't really afford me the opportunity to learn a bunch of different discs, nor does it really make sense to me to carry a specialty disc that might only get thrown once a month. I play when it's nice out - I don't need to change my line-up for rain, snow, cold, or wind. I need a handful of discs I can really count on. Basically, every disc needs to be my "go-to" disc for that purpose.

I don't want to spend a lot of cash. I've already gone a little overboard buying out all sorts of new discs to try, and even more to collect. 3-5 discs with a few backups for each is acceptable - not 10 different molds in multiple plastics in various stages of wear with backups for each.

My reasoning for this extreme minimalism is a personal choice, and it's not for everyone. I'm not saying that it's wrong to use different molds, or carry a bag full of 30 discs. But the fact remains, I have more fun and actually play better with three discs in my hand and a towel in my pocket than I ever have with an entire bag.

Mad Scientist said:
I'm looking to build a bag that will let me do the most, with the least amount of discs. I want to keep a minimum of three discs (putter, mid, driver), but no more than five. If you had to choose 3-5 of the most versatile/reliable discs possible, what would they be, and why?

My three would be:
Ridge
Buzzz/Roc
TeeBird

and maybe add in a Predator and a Leopard to make 5.
If you are paring it down that far you could open up a lot more lines with an EagleX instead of a Teebird. Similar discs, but since an Eagle can be turned at high speeds it is far more versatile. Also Roc>Buzzz if you are only going to carry one midrange mold. Again due to a greater range of potential lines.

5 discs: wizard (any weight you like), 177+ roc, comet (any weight), Champ EL (170ish), Champ EX (175).

Timko said:
Wizard, Roc, EX.

This if you have a good forehand. If you don't I would kick the roc out and put the comet in for turnover shots and power down on the EX for any hyzer/wind shots the comet would have trouble with.

I've actually played a decent amount of 3 discs rounds with wizard, comet, eagle and it covers a ton of shots.

Id go with wizard/striker/predator. The wizard can handle putting and midrange duties, the striker for everything longer than 250 straight/turnover, and the predator for anything needing a strong hyzer finish/sidearm/and thumbers.

Ive played my local course pretty well with a firebird, middle of the line roc, and wizard. Nothing here is too long though, and on the longer holes which I can't reach more than 2/10 of the time, I've actually had easier pars due to knowing that my firebird wasn't going to reach and in turn picking a solid landing spot for an easy upshot and par.