• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do the most, with the least

I have gone out a handful of times with just a mildly beat z buzzz, broken in teebird and a ridge. Perfect!!!

3 discs, threw the most consistent and safe rounds. Not my best scores ever but defiantely the cleanest game and smoothly satisfying like a good cold beer. Drives were pure, approaches direct and putts close in...... I wish i had the discipline;] to carry just those three all the time.
But it is fun to try other discs, really launch some out there big D, and try new things.

Eric O said:
Mad Scientist said:
I'm looking to build a bag that will let me do the most, with the least amount of discs. I want to keep a minimum of three discs (putter, mid, driver), but no more than five. If you had to choose 3-5 of the most versatile/reliable discs possible, what would they be, and why?

My three would be:
Ridge
Buzzz/Roc
TeeBird

and maybe add in a Predator and a Leopard to make 5.
If you are paring it down that far you could open up a lot more lines with an EagleX instead of a Teebird. Similar discs, but since an Eagle can be turned at high speeds it is far more versatile. Also Roc>Buzzz if you are only going to carry one midrange mold. Again due to a greater range of potential lines.

I agree with the EX for the Teebird as the latter is not really that versatile. I completely disagree about the Roc/Buzzz though...Maybe if you're talking multiple stages of wear, but imo a single Buzzz is a more versatile disc than a single Roc in any stage of wear. I would also add that for a putter to really be versatile (most lines) you would need one that is less stable than a Ridge, which I found to get zero turn over 300'. This would limit you to hyzer shots, straight shots from a completely flat release, and forced turnovers. Something like an Ion or beat Wizard would be capable of a lot more lines from one disc.

My everyday carry bag looks like :

Champion Orc
Champion Eagle
Surge SS FLX

Z Buzz
Z Comet
Esp Wasp

JK Pro Avair

If it had to be 3 -5

Orc
buzz
avair

4 Orc
surge ss
buzz
avair

Orc
Surge SS
buzz
wasp
avair

5 discs: wizard (any weight you like), 177+ roc, comet (any weight), Champ EL (170ish), Champ EX (175).

I actually like this quite a bit. I prefer less stable putters and might put in a magic instead of a wizard, but I've never really thrown a wizard, so I am typing from a position of ignorance. I actually putt with a Rattler because it goes straight, and being a simple man, throwing staight at the basket makes sense to me.

I've been taking a similar approach, because I enjoy playing this way. It's fun seeing what I can make a Buzz do, as opposed to carrying a drone / buzz / comet combo, though I can see the advantage of that. I've settled on:

Magic - Most accurate putting putter for me
Wizard - Favorite approach disc and short range driver
Buzz - Versatile mid, heavy Z Glo Buzz fights moderate headwinds when released with hyzer, can be put on anhyzer and straight lines easily too
Stalker - Very controllable fairway driver, that like the Buzz can be put on both anny and hyzer lines effectively. Great BH roller too.
QOLF - Used when a stronger fade is needed than the Stalker, more distance is needed or I want more of an S shaped flight.

If it was really windy you could trade the Magic for a Predator, but it's rare I find myself needing something that overstable where I live. If you wanted to simplify it down even more, you could go Wizard / Buzz / QOLF. That's the least number of molds I'd want to play a long course with.