• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Does anyone actually putt with G* putters?

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I found a 166 G* Aviar on the course today in perfect condition. On a whim I decided to give it a few throws and putts on various holes. Surprisingly, I really ended up liking it. G* is probably the last plastic I'd ever choose for putting, but this G* Aviar worked well.

Despite it being over 90 degrees today, the plastic wasn't overly soft/gummy and held its shape just fine. I drilled all the putts I tried with the G* Aviar.

I also felt like the G* Aviar had nice flight characteristics on full power shots. Very neutral with decent glide and distance.

I'm not saying I'm going to drop my current putter (McPro Aviar) to putt with a G* Aviar or anything, but the G* was better than I was expecting.

They are really straight. I use a 168 XT for when my Wizard has too much fade. I like this Eagle L G* I have.

I used to putt with a Gstar Aviar also. I phased into using Wardens, but if it works for you stick with it. Don't worry too much about if others do it if it is smashing chains.

G* Aviar Driver for putts & shorter approaches. Ironically for long shots I usually grab a Classic Aviar instead.

I got one of those recently. I was liking it fir longer throws, but the edge seems to be getting chewed up pretty quick.

Despite it being over 90 degrees today, the plastic wasn't overly soft/gummy and held its shape just fine. I drilled all the putts I tried with the G* Aviar.

Pretty soon you'll realize all the people saying G* is soft in the heat have never thrown G* in the heat.

I can't imagine putting with anything other than baseline plastic. Then again most days my putting leaves something to be desired....

I can't imagine putting with anything other than baseline plastic. Then again most days my putting leaves something to be desired....

I've putted with champ/star type plastics and constantly get spit outs. Nothing worse than making the putt only to have slide right through the chains, back out the other side! I also prefer a variation of baseline. R-pro/BT etc.

But I do know plenty of people who are actually good that use champ. Maybe Gstar would be a nice tweener :\

Pretty soon you'll realize all the people saying G* is soft in the heat have never thrown G* in the heat.

I don't find it particularly soft in the heat, but I definitely find it way too tacky for my tastes. The chances of me getting a clean release in one of those southeastern summer 90 degrees right before/after a storm rounds is pretty much 0% with GStar.

G* Aviar

So, I decided to take the G* Aviar (166g) back out to the course today and play a putter-only round with it. I did this concurrently with a round using my normal discs. I ended up with -2 using the Aviar, and -8 using my normal discs.

I had 2 bogeys with the Aviar, and 4 birdies. Most of the trouble I had with the disc was simply because I wasn't familiar with it. A few lousy/inaccurate tee shots. The G* Aviar covers ground way more effectively than I thought it would. On a couple 400' slightly downhill holes I was able to get it to the pin off the tee using a high, anny release.

My putting with the G* Aviar was average. I missed a few very makeable birdies.

This is the first time I've ever tried using a putter for an entire round. It really didn't go too badly, IMO.

i used to drive/approach with a gstarrr bb aviar when they first came out

recently i bought a gstarrr aviar to approach and putt with but it overlapped with my beloved beat plaz ion so i put it back on the shelf

honestly i dont get the whole baseline>premium thing it seems like rigid old school thinking

i used to drive/approach with a gstarrr bb aviar when they first came out

recently i bought a gstarrr aviar to approach and putt with but it overlapped with my beloved beat plaz ion so i put it back on the shelf

honestly i dont get the whole baseline>premium thing it seems like rigid old school thinking

I'm not super huge on baseline plastic for putters either. The stuff gets worn out too fast, and starts to deform after a while. I don't want to put with some misshapen, ugly ass, poor flying putter.

I know McPro plastic isn't the most durable stuff on earth, but I like it a lot better than regular DX.

I don't want to put with some misshapen, ugly ass, poor flying putter.

You sound like me four years ago.

Now I actually prefer my trusty old beat to heck putters. Something comforting about putting a disc you've putted hundreds of times regardless of how it looks.

As for the original topic, G-star putters are some of my favorite throwing putters and I will tap them in occasionally but still prefer the feel of the base plastics for normal putting duties.

You sound like me four years ago.

Now I actually prefer my trusty old beat to heck putters. Something comforting about putting a disc you've putted hundreds of times regardless of how it looks.

As for the original topic, G-star putters are some of my favorite throwing putters and I will tap them in occasionally but still prefer the feel of the base plastics for normal putting duties.

Yeah, the G* Aviar throws really well. In fact, I think it throws better than it putts. By the end of my round today I had it fairly dialed in. It holds a straight line without being flippy. I was putting 100% effort into some tee shots, and the disc responded favorably.

I putted OK with it, but I don't have enough reps on it to consider it a trusted putter yet.

I found a 166 G* Aviar on the course today in perfect condition. On a whim I decided to give it a few throws and putts on various holes. Surprisingly, I really ended up liking it. G* is probably the last plastic I'd ever choose for putting, but this G* Aviar worked well.

I also felt like the G* Aviar had nice flight characteristics on full power shots. Very neutral with decent glide and distance.

I'm not saying I'm going to drop my current putter (McPro Aviar) to putt with a G* Aviar or anything, but the G* was better than I was expecting.

I putt with a G* Aviar all the time. Just happened to be the first putter I bought when I started playing a few years ago and just got used to putting with it. The good thing is that the extra durability of the plastic means you don't need to really change it out much if ever.

I'm going to try a Gstar Aviar whenever they come in stock again. Didn't realize Gstar putters were a thing. I dig that plastic for fairways and drivers. Certainly try a putter.