• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Anyone Not have a Firebird in their bag,

Jesse B 707 said:
BLURR said:
I don't carry a FB anymore.

And I want to echo what somebody else stated. The XXX is money for thumbers.
No BS the XXX has added about 50 feet of D to my overhands (especially tommies) ive been able to push it out to 370ish pretty reliably

right after i wrote this i went out and Aced a hole with a gentle (250 or so) thumber with my XXX :mrgreen: (and i am terrible at thumbers :oops: )

Jesse B 707 said:
Jesse B 707 said:
BLURR said:

No BS the XXX has added about 50 feet of D to my overhands (especially tommies) ive been able to push it out to 370ish pretty reliably

right after i wrote this i went out and Aced a hole with a gentle (250 or so) thumber with my XXX :mrgreen: (and i am terrible at thumbers :oops: )
does that make it your first ace?!?!?

CONGRATS!!!

maks said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Jesse B 707 said:
BLURR said:

does that make it your first ace?!?!?

CONGRATS!!!
nah, it's the third. but thanks :mrgreen:

nice ace jesse, i hit a thumber from about 250 feet out recently with a xxx thumber as well..

I don't have a Firebird in my 150 bag... yet. I have the Banshee right now. I think I might audition the two against each other.

Too bad Discraft doesn't make a 150 Z Pred.

I throw an 11X KC Champ Firebird for thumbers only. So consistent...it does the same thing every time! I love it. For headwinds and big hyzer drives it's an XCaliber, for me.

honestly I throw a predator and banshee longer on a thumber than a firebird....so no use for a firebird in my bag.

i usually don't

but i don't really see the need for it at the courses i play

but also i'm not sure i understand the purpose of the FB/Pred/XXX type disc

i own an 11x champ FB a DX FB and a Z Pred (no Frank_Delicious you can't have this one too) and a Z Xtra

so please guys educate me on the need for these low glide meat hooks, please tell me what type of holes/shots/situations these bad boys are for......i'm not being sarcastic i'm genuinely curious because i'm thinking i may be missing something mega important from my game

much love

kel

keltik said:
i usually don't

but i don't really see the need for it at the courses i play

but also i'm not sure i understand the purpose of the FB/Pred/XXX type disc

i own an 11x champ FB a DX FB and a Z Pred (no Frank_Delicious you can't have this one too) and a Z Xtra

so please guys educate me on the need for these low glide meat hooks, please tell me what type of holes/shots/situations these bad boys are for......i'm not being sarcastic i'm genuinely curious because i'm thinking i may be missing something mega important from my game

much love

kel

a good example of why you need them is 1 @ middle creek. It was super windy on Sunday with a good 15 mph headwind coming in to the tee, I threw a nice easy Z pred out over the road and let it come back into play and had a 30 ft putt (that I pigjammed). The other guys try to throw an orc and a beat teebird and both got beat around in the wind.

You need a disc that can do that, even around here. The shot just isn't used as much since we have so many tight wooded courses.

I use a Predator(distance) and Banshee for thumbers. Jesse B how is the XXX adding 50 feet to your thumbers? What is the disc flight like? Throwing the Predator around 350 has a long slow turn.

you know what frank_d i immediately thought of #18 at muddy creek after i posted and you are right and i also thought of #12 @ the big Z (Zebulon)......but that's two or three holes at muddy creek and maybe 4-5 holes at Zebulon......i guess i haven't faced enough wind since i've played mostly in the winter during my short time playing this sport

aside from wind fighting.....what else are these hogs good for?

keltik said:
you know what frank_d i immediately thought of #18 at muddy creek after i posted and you are right and i also thought of #12 @ the big Z (Zebulon)......but that's two or three holes at muddy creek and maybe 4-5 holes at Zebulon......i guess i haven't faced enough wind since i've played mostly in the winter during my short time playing this sport

aside from wind fighting.....what else are these hogs good for?

predictability and confidence. As everyone else is holding their breath, hoping their disc comes back left. You can know yours will.

I throw Preds.

great for shots that have to finish left (rhbh) and fight the wind. While I have other discs that can do this with a hyzer release, it is nice to have that dependability. I have found sharp turning skip shots are great with these "meathooks".

Firebirds are many peoples' disc of choice for thumbers. Also you can throw a Firebird in pretty much any condition and you know it will hold a straight or hyzer line. That kind of reliability can't be underestimated.

i guess i lack the power to utilize such discs properly......a teebird does this for me (straight to reliable fade) just farther.......but maybe without the wind resistance......and as far as over hand shots.....i use just about anything for those

this is why i'm asking if i'm doing something wrong.....or if i just don't throw far/hard enough

sth1oo6 said:
I use a Predator(distance) and Banshee for thumbers. Jesse B how is the XXX adding 50 feet to your thumbers? What is the disc flight like? Throwing the Predator around 350 has a long slow turn.
if i throw my pred (tommy) it will just never turn over for some reason and just hit the ground at around the same angle i threw it at, firebirds do about the same thing for me :? so up until recently i was throwing tommies with my champ roadrunner and getting a nice slow turn and respectable distance (330ish) with the XXX i get a WAY more gradual turn and better foreword penetration. the XXX does take a bit more altitude to fly a complete pattern but with it my average tommy is in the 360 range with some stretching out around 375. As far as thumbers go i was never able to get a clean release with my preds (alot of flutter) so i never really used thumbers but with the XXX its super easy for me to get a clean release, its been the first disc that i can get any kind of respectable thumber out of (bout 300). if the banshee works well for you there may be no point but i wouldnt be shocked if you could pick up some extra d with a XXX

BrettWare said:
Seriously, the most used disc in my bag,

cant imagine not having like 4+ in my bag.

and then the FL comes to me like a miracle from heaven and i can get rid of 2-3 more molds laying in my bag with less consistency.

In my opinion the best disc innova has made.

I would put with it if i could

Long story short- to answer your question, yes, a veritable assload of folks do not carry a firebird, myself included.

I do share the love for discs that fill that slot, though. I cannot imagine playing a round without some sort of overstable pig in the quiver.

victorb said:
honestly I throw a predator and banshee longer on a thumber than a firebird....so no use for a firebird in my bag.

The best D depends on power and spin. Banshee and Flick are my longest tommy discs at this point in development.

Latest posts