• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does it count?

Bikinimower

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I was out Disc Golfing with my cousin today and he is fairly new to the game. He had a drive that landed on top of the basket and stuck.

I've never seen or heard of anything like it, have any of you?

I know the offical rulebook would almost certainly say thats not an ace but I told him to count it. He took the classy route and marked it as a 2 but I was able to eventually talk him into "an ace with an asterix"

does not count. mark it directly underneath and take your next shot. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. Never seen somebody do it on a tee shot though (that is pretty rare IMO). Your cousin was correct in taking the classy route

It is actually a penalty stroke and possible DQ, if during tournament, for damaging course equipment. At a long distance a disc hitting the top of the basket could cause significant damage. So...

1: Initial Throw
2: Drop Under Basket
3: Make Putt
4: Add Additional Penalty Stroke

So this would be a 4.

This is helpful for other "Does It Count" questions.
holesout.jpg

Last edited:
How does a plastic disc (that has had to have expended most of its energy and is slowing down), going to damage a steel target? Just dont sound right

Nonsense. No penalty for accidentally damaging course property. Highly unlikely to cause damage, anyway.

No stroke for the drop, either. Disc that comes to rest above the ground, marked directly below it with no penalty. (Unless over 2 meters high, with the 2-meter rule in effect for the entire course, which almost certainly doesn't apply in this case).

Nonsense. No penalty for accidentally damaging course property. Highly unlikely to cause damage, anyway.

No stroke for the drop, either. Disc that comes to rest above the ground, marked directly below it with no penalty. (Unless over 2 meters high, with the 2-meter rule in effect for the entire course, which almost certainly doesn't apply in this case).

Was he not aiming for the basket? I would call that intentional damage!

But yes the only serious part about my post was the picture. The OP question had already been answer so I figured... why not. :D

I know the rule says it doesn't count but...wouldn't directly below it with no penalty be in the basket? I don't like this rule. I think it should count

^^^
Well, thinking like that... If a disc was 5ft up in a tree, then directly below it could mean the big branch right below it. Now you must climb up 4 feet and stand on that branch to take your shot. It's like when a basket ball gets stuck between the rim and the backboard. No good.

It's marked directly below on the playing surface. The basket isn't a playing surface. What if the disc landed in a tree above the basket. Would you still think it should be marked in the basket?

Absolutely it counts... as a stroke. :p

It is actually a penalty stroke and possible DQ, if during tournament, for damaging course equipment. At a long distance a disc hitting the top of the basket could cause significant damage.
:confused:

Last edited:
It's time to bust out the MSPaint skillz again...

attachment.php

Baskets were designed to match the height requirements of an object course. On the object, one had to hit between the lines for a putt to count. On a basket those "lines" are the bottom of the top assembly and the upper rim of the basket.

Attachments

• object vs basket.JPG
    object vs basket.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 83
Sounds like you're trying to get out of paying your friend 5 bucks, by convincing him he hit an ace.

It's parked, it's not an ace.

Last edited:
But yes the only serious part about my post was the picture. The OP question had already been answer so I figured... why not. :D

Apologies---I took it as serious. Hard for me to tell sometimes. It's hard to write something in these forums preposterous enough to be clearly scarcasm, because the bar has been set so high by preposterous statements that were serious.

I know the offical rulebook would almost certainly say thats not an ace but I told him to count it. He took the classy route and marked it as a 2 but I was able to eventually talk him into "an ace with an asterix"

The rulebook is very clear on it. It does not count, it has to be in the basket.

Also, dont try to talk newbies into breaking the rules. Sounds like he knows the rules better than you do.