• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Double Dragon Can Can Power Pocket Excellent Explanation

On new Double Dragon lessons learned:

Like many drills I found that this one has become even more useful as I've developed more.

A lot of people talk about getting loose and finding the "whip." But then a lot of them also talk about getting into the pocket, and like many players, early on I acquired a strong arm/elbow hinge mechanic that has been horribly difficult to undo. After I got rid of the conscious swing thought, unconscious habits persisted, and I never fully developed a weight & shoulder-led whip. I think this is one of the more pernicious issues out there in certain DG coaching resources, and now I notice it in other players all the time. There's a safety issue too - SW22 has made my lower body so much more efficient that when I'm in my best swing positions, I can feel tremendous speed/force coming up the chain. But arm tension and a bad shoulder/arm/disc path is bad news for that vulnerable shoulder joint and pec/shoulder/bicep muscle. So now I have to slow down just to keep from blowing it out & take the time to fix the mechanics.

SW22 helped by getting me to windmill the arm with my weight, and advised me to "think Feldberg" in the swing. Yesterday, I also realized that Double Dragon, if done properly, really is the best drill I've encountered so far to obtain a full-body whip starting at maximum extension. It trains your whole body to be two crossing whips from the hand/disc to opposite foot, and it helps you get wide & long in the swing. You can feel the flow of force across the whips when you get the rhythm and balance. As you speed up, you'll naturally find whip coil in the arms. If your arm is loose and shoulder is leading correctly, the feedback is instant - if you hit your chest or get pulled off balance by the arm/disc, you can quickly adjust.

The deep idea in an actual throw is that the whip should start wide and coil/uncoil dynamically with your bodyweight and the right posture leading the arm/disc unit. As you speed up for a throw, more speed causes the appropriate amount of coil if the body & balance are right. The pocket is just part of the coiling/uncoiling employed through our joint system, and the forward elbow is just part of an efficient system of high-leverage whipping.

As I understand it, Feldberg had a shoulder injury and found a way to make do (understatement) with a much less coiled arm. But starting by using his swing as an example of one extreme of a swing thought and then learning how to whip into the coil with Double Dragon and similar drills is yet another thing on the list of things I wish I'd started with! If I had, I'd have acquired less hard-to-kill habits from the months before coming here.

Also, getting the arm nice and loose with your weight leading with drills like a weighted vertical windmill/perpetual pendulum is a great warmup for Double Dragon and pretty much every other drill. I windmilled several times in a round today just to get the system loose and primed and it worked wonders. Permanent part of drill and round warmup routine.

Been double dragoning it up for a couple month now and my results have been fantastic. Couple things I've consistently screwed up:

Over rotating on the kick back - if your a chronic rounder/strong armer like me, you will want to rotate your lower body more than you need to in the backswing. Keeping your hand on the inside of the thigh really helps with this.

Focusing too much on screwing/unscrewing/upper body in general - I like the power pocket explanation, but I find when I focus on anything active with the arm my results are worse. If you orient your grip correctly and rotate your shoulder correctly in the backswing( like tossing an axe back when your a chopping down a tree), the forward swing takes care of itself. My best throws are when I land on my front foot and my body just smoothly throws the disc and I'm like "whoa, how did I do that." It's not something I can try to do, it just happens

The Rotational Step Back drill for Hip Shoulder Separation starting at 2:11 reminded me of the Double Dragon and Can Can drill.

If you are in a standstill, simply lifting the front foot off the ground will start to bring you targetward as your mass is ahead of your rear foot pressure point and gravity pulls you targetward. Pitchers are swinging the front leg backward while driving forward on rear leg. The front leg will eventually catch back up with the CoG and pull you off the rear foot. It's very much like walking or running.

In an x-step you already have forward momentum before being on the rear foot, so half the battle is just not screwing up that momentum and slowing it down on the rear foot. Long x-steps put your rear foot/pressure too far in front of your mass which will slow you down and kind of defeats the purpose of the x-step.

This comment was so good it deserved to be posted again.