• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Ace Pot Etiquette

chosenmatrix

Par Member
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was just curious as to if there is a standard protocol for splitting an ace fund when playing doubles? We had an ace in our random draw weekly doubles the other day.

Do most people split the pot down the middle with their partner? Keep it all for themselves if they hit the ace? My thought it you split it with the partner since you are a team, but just wanted to get an idea of what is considered the best move.

I've always split ace pots with my partner. Seems to be the standard procedure everywhere I've played. I don't see why you wouldn't. Either they put it close enough that you were able to run at the chains or you ran at the chains with the knowledge they could pick you up if you blew by the basket or were otherwise errant. They had a hand in the shot either way.

Ask your partner and do whatever you two decide.

Must be the season for "etiquette" threads. :\

i have hit 3 aces, got paid on all of them and split the pot with my partner every time. I can only hit aces in doubles apparently.

I don't like splitting the pot. In my experience team work does come into play with putting but does not have much of an affect on driving. Your average player isn't skilled enough for it to make a difference and everybody is generally just trying to throw the best drive they can.

I'm sure it happens, but I personally have never witnessed anyone hit on a designated "ace run" after their partner parked the hole. I say don't split the pot unless you have an agreement before the round/throw.

I have never made an ace in doubles but I have had a few partners hit them and I have always turned down the cash. I think if you hit it, you deserve it.

I've always split ace pots with my partner. Seems to be the standard procedure everywhere I've played. I don't see why you wouldn't. Either they put it close enough that you were able to run at the chains or you ran at the chains with the knowledge they could pick you up if you blew by the basket or were otherwise errant. They had a hand in the shot either way.

Agreed.

Maybe I'm just greedy, but I typically keep it ("typically" meaning the 2 times it's happened). If my partner goes first and parks the hole and leaves me open for an ace run on a hole I otherwise wouldn't run, I'd probably split it. But if I just get lucky and the disc happens to go in, I plan on keeping it, especially if I'm first on the tee.

i don't think there is a yes or no answer for this. i haven't hit an ace during doubles but if i did i think i'd give my partner some $$$ but probably not half.

if the event is for charity i would donate the full amount to the charity.

It's probably a regional etiquette. I don't think I've seen anyone around here split it. I've seen partners get a couple bucks. I've even seen partners pay the acing partner for metal mania and be out an extra $5.

I split the ace pot because it's just a nice thing to do, not because I feel my partner helped in any way. We're playing as a team might as well celebrate as a team. I tend to run aces whenever I feel like it, not just when my partner is parked on a hole. Most of the aces I got were actually not when I was trying to run an ace.

If it was doubles with friends I'd probably split the pot in half. If it was random dubs I'd probably give 15%-20% of the pot just as a nice gesture. I've only hit one ace in 8 years..... so not much to worry about here ;)

I have split the ace pot before when I called it before teeing off. I was just feeling it. If its a first throw then no I would never split it. Second shot. It all depends. If the partner is running it and ends up parking it no. If he or she throws it for a good layup for the 2 then I might be inclined to split the pot if we are out of the running for placing. It all depends on the mood

We have always agreed on something before the round. For example, ace pot is $300. We agree to give $50 to the partner before the round.

When ace pots get big around here, some guys make deals with other players and usually decide that they will take or give $50 depending on who hits the ace. It's a bit collusion-like, but nobody cares because the next week there is usually a couple cases or more of good beer that everyone shares. I won $180 my last ace and I bought $70 worth of IPA's. I put one of each of the four types in my fridge before I went to the course, tho. :thmbup:

Usually if my doubles partner parks a hole, I will tell them if I hit the ace I will split it with them, but I usually just give them $20 if I don't work out a deal with them beforehand.

Surprised by the amount of people who don't split it.

I run a weekly doubles and everyone splits - it's not required but around here if you don't split it is perceived as a bit of a dck move. I think it has evolved this way because we attract a very wide range of players, and you may draw a 1000 rated player or an absolute beginner, and it would be in very poor taste to adjust your decision based on your partner.

There are also a few holes that are set up such that it makes sense for the first person to try to get close so the second can run at it - one hole in particular is very short with an OB ditch right behind the basket, so virtually every team's plan is "first guy lays up/second guy runs at it"

I have also played with cards where all four of us were pretty decent and the ace pot was large and someone suggested a four-way split if any of us hit one, and I will agree to that although I would never suggest it myself.

In three years playing in that league I have hit four aces and had two partners hit them so I will chalk that up to the good karma that comes with splitting it. The only exception was last year when I had a partner (some 14 year old kid who could barely throw 100') who didn't pay into the ace pot because he knew he was never going to hit one himself.... he has always paid into it since then.

I mean, sure it is "your ace", but if you happen to be the winning doubles team do you split your prize based on how many of your throws the team used?

Latest posts