• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putter

ChampionMonarch

Par Member
I'm getting a slew of new discs for Xmas, and one thing I wanted is a new driving putter. Something nicely stable without being a beefcake, and in a nice plastic.

Originally I had a gummy yummy pro-D Focus for this slot, but I'm not happy with how quickly the plastic breaks in.

I'm leaning toward trying to make an all Discraft bag (for the sake of supporting my home state), but am open to all suggestions.

How does the X Focus compare to pro-D? How does the Challenger in any/all plastics compare to the Focus?
These are the two discs I'm mainly looking at, but am considering an Evo Wizard as well.

I know it's a pretty vague thread, but I'm not so familiar with the wide world of putters. I'm just trying to see what people use for their driving putters.

if you want to stick with discraft then the focus or ringer are your best bet. if not other suggestion the have not been said classic roc, xd, and voodoo.

I've tried them all, and the Wizard is consistently the best and has the best plastic. It is nice and perfectly stable, it really holds a line a long ways.

If you go with the Challenger, some are money but you'll also find a huge amount of inconsistently from one run to the next, and enormous variations in plastic quality.

A fellow player the other day was throwing a Pure, which was flying somewhat under stable on approaches (i.e., it turns over at higher speeds). Maybe this is a nice option if you are looking for something that will flip more easily.

This is a loaded question because the preferences weren't stated in enough detail. If long distance for a putter ain't an issue and only low throws are needed and the OP can throw 400' with drivers a Star Rhyno would work. Even better if there is a need to finish left on higher lines. For higher powered players and more need for a left finish a Pig and a VP or even more of a meathook an ESP Zone. Haven't thrown D Zones so can't comment on how they break in. If ultimate putter D is needed from a line drive or mild anny flexing back to fade Ringers are it. FR Ringer is too slick for me YMMV.

Lesser power requirement and a straighter finish with tremendous HSS= Ridge. Ridge is like a little more LSS than E Wizard and new soft X Focus with around the same D. With less than 400' power it will fade more than those two and it prefers lower lines thanks to that fraction more LSS. It tackles winds much much better than those two and the Focus ain't a slouch in soft X. To me the Ridge is better than a KC Pro Aviar which is between E Wiz and x Focus and the Ridge. For me the Ridge wins out those because none of them are the longest discs and the Ridge is the most reliable. For less HSS than any of those and better D with almost Ringer D with lesser power requirement and straight flight is Discmania P2. D-Line will turn more on max power and fly farther in rear winds and S-Line will tackle winds better with just a smidge more HSS and LSS and the nearly the same D still outdistancing everything but the Spike and the Ringer. The Ringer needs to be broken in or get an optimal throw for a 400' thrower to outdistance Spikes which are super finicky at that power. Ions compete closely with the P2s but P2s have a more universally palatable grip and fade more on high lines. Ions are Jekyll and Hyde. If you can't grip them perfectly you're SOL -no good for small hands and short fingers and those with with dragging issues with Rocs and BB Aviars.

Try the S Wiz just to see what all the cult is about.
Also get a regular Ridge, which is a touch more hss and touch less glide than a Wiz, but grips OK in cool/damp MI and still is the same disc after 50 tree bashes.

As others suggest, Challengers are hard to find in grip/durable/stiff plastic.
I currently just embrace the Wasp, even though the feel a a Pure can not be beat in winter (and I have chalky proto Wiz too)

JHBlader86 said:
Medium Wizard. End of discussion.
+1

the hard wizards are pretty excellent for driving as well. but they put a mean ass callous on the side of my middle finger if i throw too many in one day.

JHern said:
I've tried them all, and the Wizard is consistently the best and has the best plastic. It is nice and perfectly stable, it really holds a line a long ways.

If you go with the Challenger, some are money but you'll also find a huge amount of inconsistently from one run to the next, and enormous variations in plastic quality.

CMON MAN

You CANNOT come in here bashing inconsistent DC plastics without doing the same to Gateway.

best driving putter ive ever found is the challenger far and away. with that said i dont carry one cause they are to glideless with their putts. wizards are a close second. As far as the D plastic ive felt, yeah the durability may vary quite a bit but stabilitly wise ive found challengers to be similar from run to run. Cryztal Z challengers are a different matter entirely though. old ones are the best premium driving putter hands down new ones are teh suck

I've tried them all, and I drive with my putters a lot. Currently my favorites are KC Aviars and Ringers.

To me, they all fly about the same and you really cant go wrong with any of them. Just pick one that has the best feel in your hand. I really like the way the 12x KC's feel. And I like the Ringer because its stable and low profile, so its good for grenade shots or cold ass hands. Or anyone who has grip issues driving with deeper frisbees.

Jeronimo said:
Pure, duh obvi.

Well... I've thrown the pure a few times and it IS sweet. The grip is great, the feel is great, it's easy to throw clean, it has a nice controllable flight, awesome for straight shots with no fade. But, that being said, it's not very stable. For comparison: I often throw DX Aviar P&As off the tee on shorter holes (out to 330' or so) and I found the the pure to be slightly less stable than my worn Aviars! The one day I got to play a little with a pure I was really "on" and getting them out to 340' or so consistently. I thought the pure had a lot more turn than the beat Aviars. I would love to throw it for some approach shots. But, for driving ... It's a sweet disc, like I said. But, especially in a little head wind, I don't think it's the most predictable putter to bomb.

Of course, I wouldn't promote the Aviar P&A as the ultimate driving putter (for the same reason). I'm thinking of trying out some Wizards to work some lines that my Aviars aren't as good at.

The problem with Discraft's driving putters that I've had in the past is durability. Pro D putter plastic gets really chewed up. I don't mind my putters breaking in, but I don't like them to feel like someone went crazy on them with a cheese grater. Maybe the newer Pro D blends will be different.

The best driving putter of all, of course, is the Ion.