• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving the non-throwing shoulder forward

ReDisculous

Eagle Member
Does anyone care to talk about the timing and function of this? It is very obvious in some peoples throw that they are using thier left shoulder to move thier right shoulder. Look at Dan Beto, Brad Walker, Avery Jenkins, they all do it. Dan's is a little more obvious, it looks like he isn't just keeping his left arm close to his body, but throwing it forward so it yanks his shoulder forward. Brad and Avery look kind of like they are reaching back with the left arm but the result is the same, the left shoulder is driven forward.

I was messing around with this in practice yesterday, to help punch my elbow forward (it seems easiest to feel some results from doing this while the upper arm is still somewhat reaching back) and I was throwing my mids a good 20 feet further than normal. Am I just imagining this?

hmm I have wondered the same thing but have yet to try it, interesting topic.

that is weight transfer, if you seen good results from what you have tried then your are now correctly transferring your weight.

if it is a bad result, it could also be more apparent with me in older videos that i am hunched over going through my bad motions back then.

I was out messing around with this again today trying to get the timing down. I am for sure getting my weight forward now, but at the same time I feel like I am getting my body rotating in a much different way than I used to. Is that what weight transfer is for? I think I read a thread a while ago (search function ftw) where it was stated that all the rotating and pivoting will take care of itself if you just focus on getting your weight moving forward.

I just want to know if I am on to something or if I am learning something I'll just have to unlearn later.

If anyone wants to try this (it works much better with a disc in your hand) I am just reaching back, and causing my upper body to rotate 90 deg. by swinging my left arm forward (Keep it down and close to your body). When I do this It takes me through the whole throwing motion automaticaly. The shoulders fire the elbow forward, the disc comes across the chest, the elbow seems to stop in just the right place and causes the wrist to bend etc

Redisculous said:
Does anyone care to talk about the timing and function of this? It is very obvious in some peoples throw that they are using thier left shoulder to move thier right shoulder. Look at Dan Beto, Brad Walker, Avery Jenkins, they all do it. Dan's is a little more obvious, it looks like he isn't just keeping his left arm close to his body, but throwing it forward so it yanks his shoulder forward. Brad and Avery look kind of like they are reaching back with the left arm but the result is the same, the left shoulder is driven forward.

I was messing around with this in practice yesterday, to help punch my elbow forward (it seems easiest to feel some results from doing this while the upper arm is still somewhat reaching back) and I was throwing my mids a good 20 feet further than normal. Am I just imagining this?

No imagination included. Extra muscles powering the throw driving a lever is basic physics.

I feel like this might be the inverse of what I have been focusing on lately, but with ultimately the same result. I have been trying to focus on really pulling with the back of my forward shoulder, which correlates with driving the rear shoulder forward. I have felt the reason this is giving me more distance is because it is taking my focus off of my arm completely, letting it act more as a whip and preventing the strong-arm.

bringing the off-shoulder does aid in the throw...

however, most people rush their upper body rotation and if that is the case, that is bad, regardless of whether or not there is an active assistance by the off shoulder.

basically, you don't need to force the left shoulder through to go 450'. however, if you can go 450' without it, you can likely go 470' with it.

if your average controlled drive is under 400', i wouldn't really place much emphasis on this as there is a tendency to rush the upper body if you try to force it.

shoulders after release
beto1.jpg

if this answers anyones questions

I think what I am taking away from this is that I have been forcing my shoulders around with the shoulder muscles, instead of letting the shoulder rotation be "incidental" (as I read in the maxing out at 300' thread). I think driving them around with the opposite am took my shoulder muscles out of the equation, allowing me to get a much more relaxed whip with my arm.

If you look at Steve Brinster's shoulders, it looks like his shoulders collapse together (like a figure skater spinning) right before the the pull and then after the hit and follow through his shoulders are stretched out completely creating a massive whip. His first shot in this vid was sick, close to 600'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrbzu-7dO_g

sorry, but which guy is steve?
i never seen a picture of him

excuse my ignorance, he's never been to our weekly, and i have no clue who he is :)

Brinster = the 4th guy.

him and Walter Haney have the best form in DG. watch how much he accelerates, it is just a massive explosion.

hard to see at that angle but his slow motion replay at the hit is just as fast as everyone else's regular accelerated hit heh, pretty much.

Order: Moser, Jenkins, Locastro, Brinster, Pitts Then Moser, Brinster, jenkins, Locastro, Pitt

You can see the guys with the big arms taking the hyzer route on the 2nd hole.

Watch these things:

1) How long the back foot stays planted.
2) How close Brinster keeps the disc into the right pec vs Jenkins
3) How late Moser pulls. It's really evident in the slow motion.

Just some interesting things.

In almost all of those drives, you can tell they are using the left arm/shoulder to drive the right arm/shoulder around.

It is interesting that Brinster's form doesn't get cited more often here on DGR. He even has the same form for upshots and drives (Blake approved!). Brinster and Moser are probably the pros for whom I've seen the most footage due to watching way too much disc golf monthly.

Yeah, whenever I am talking about "bent elbow" throwing to someone who would recognise his name, i bring up Brinster. I forgot what episode of DMG it was, but I think it was Cubby who said Brinster was one of the biggest arms in disc golf.

I know this thread has kind of died out, but it seems to me that the driving of the non-throwing shoulder seems really pronounced during Will Schusterick's throws as well.

Swedes from Skellefteå area take the prize in that area. I've never seen anyone turn their shoulders as quickly as Daniel Strandberg. Linus Åström is no slouch either.