• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyed Disc = Lost Disc?

P5ychoRaz

They're constantly disappearing yet I still se so many people using them, I have to ask: why do you use tye-dyed discs? Do you disc golf in open areas and losing them isn't a problem? Or is it the color that has been my problem? (Champion Beast, I'm referring to you)

lol, welcome to the site, and yea idk man people throw what they think is pretty, even if they have lost a few allready and know its no good, just like how i smoke cigarettes, and know its horrible for me but keep choking them down ( newports, im referring to u)

but yea ik think its cuz people think they are cool looking

one of my best looking dyes is the color of Fall leaves... /meh

i just rarely throw that one. in hind sight i would have held out for a neon yellow disc like the rest of my inventory.

Yeah, the fly-dye discs that Innova produces have a tendancy to enter the twilight zone on a regular basis.
A buddy of mine has 1 (a Champ Beast I believe) that he loves to throw, but we seem to constantly have to hunt it down. I have threatened to stick my knife thru it several times...;)

Also, dyed discs tend not to come back to you. I haven't lost one of my dyes in awhile, but that's due more to skill improvements than anything. Back when I first started I would lose discs and only ever get called back on the ones that weren't dyed. Now that I play regularly with the bulk of the local hardcore DGers, I've had a couple friends notice casuals on courses throwing my plastic and they took it back for me. But I still always ask for a spotter when I'm throwing something that may blend in way too easily if I throw errant. It's the price we pay to be unique. Plus, if you're any good, it's fun to surprise people. At least in my area, I've noticed the majority mentality is if you throw a lot of crazy dyed plastic, you're not very good.

lol, welcome to the site, and yea idk man people throw what they think is pretty, even if they have lost a few allready and know its no good, just like how i smoke cigarettes, and know its horrible for me but keep choking them down ( newports, im referring to u)

but yea ik think its cuz people think they are cool looking

Yep. I recently lost a tie-dyed Surge SS at Central park(off the mtn near #8), in Cumming, GA. I bought it cuz it was pretty and I wanted a tie-dye. It was one of my favorite drivers, and it hurt to give up the hunt after about an hour. I also partake of the finest menthol cigarettes. thought about doing a Newport dye to see if they'd send me a free carton.

tye-dye discs are only for hippies or people that like to lose discs :p if you buy it because 'it looks cool,' leave it on the wall at home.

i get tired of helping the same people look for the same damn tye dye discs every time i play with them.

Yep. I recently lost a tie-dyed Surge SS at Central park(off the mtn near #8), in Cumming, GA. I bought it cuz it was pretty and I wanted a tie-dye. It was one of my favorite drivers, and it hurt to give up the hunt after about an hour. I also partake of the finest menthol cigarettes. thought about doing a Newport dye to see if they'd send me a free carton.

+1 to losing Surge SS's and +1 to Newports. :hfive:

I have a couple Tie dye discs that I very rarely throw.......... mainly bought with future dyes in mind.

As for throw discs I have dyed.......... If it enters the land of the lost, I still have the original prints to make another stencil and do it again.

Dyed disc does not equal lost disc! Tie dye can camo a disc but one of the rules here is too not camo your disc. That said here's a little list

Lost, won't be returned 'cuz its lost in the cedars behind my house. Failed in the rule mentioned above and had it longer than I expected.
greennukessDSC_6415.jpg

Lost and returned
redcubesnukessDSC_6710.jpg

Lost and returned today by a kid who found it in the park in my hometown that is (hopefully!!) going to be the location of a new course. Kid called me and said he had found what "kinda looks like a frisbee" with my # on it, he was thrilled with his $5 reward!
dontpanicssDSC_6308.jpg

The last two I think I succeeded in the rule, no more difficult to find than if it wasn't dyed. I personally think that you have a better chance getting a call if its a nice dye and you have your name on it.

I have told all the locals at my home course if they return one of my discs I will dye them a disc for free. I usually get my lost discs back.

Well, a good tie-dye probably won't contain green or brown; but in general, yes, I agree with you ... they tend to run off very quickly. I threw a brand new Dyed 5x Champ Valk on a hole a couple of weeks ago - of course, it hit a tree and was nowhere to be found. I went back the next morning and, miraculously, found it. Seems like any disc that is worth something (OOP, dyed, good) tends to disappear quickly.

They're constantly disappearing yet I still se so many people using them, I have to ask: why do you use tye-dyed discs? Do you disc golf in open areas and losing them isn't a problem? Or is it the color that has been my problem? (Champion Beast, I'm referring to you)

I have looked at some of my dye jobs and thought "Well thats gonna get lost as soon as I throw it" (Celtic dyed fox and wolf I'm thinking of you!) I try to not do so busy looking dyes anymore or try to do them on bright discs. Something along those lines.

I found a tie-dyed wraith yesterday, in the exact same spot that I've found two other discs. I guess that's the Kharma of losing my Surge SS and having my phone cut off. I'm going to start putting my website on discs instead of name or number.

I've only had one tie dye refuse to be found. I tend toward more garish colors in solid plastic and I love them so because they're pretty. Throwing discs + cool looking discs = doubleplus good.
My friend and usual throwing pardner, on the other hand, buys red/yellow combos in clear plastic and they like to hide.

Want to get a dye done of outline of my avatar(w/ fedora) sometime, prob on my new pink NukeSS.

How about dyeing your name & number?

I'm actually thinking of dyeing my name & number on my discs on the underside of the disc. For an opaque disc that i dye i would put it under the dyed area. For a clear disc i would put it on the rim if possible. This would be fairly time consuming & probably have to be done with a spoon so as to not get dye on other areas...but dye does not come out & would be permanent! Ink or Sharpie can pretty much be taken out! Has anyone done this?

Amen.... My fav anny disc is a beat in (uh hem Well Seasoned) Leopard tye dye on a clear champion plastic. I throw her flat and she just keeps turning. I have lost this disc 3 times and each time she has returned. But I pretty much call her my Camo disc. I can not retire her until my new champ lep is beat in just the same.

The 2 tye dyes I've found were both wraith's. The colors on both were what I would consider "Anti-Camouflage", they really popped out. I returned one of them, and the other didn't have a number. I assumed that both of the owners just gave up searching in a short period of time.

The idea of dyeing your name and number on the disc is not a bad one, as I can relate to sharpie or magic marker fading off of discs rather quickly.

the only tye dye disc i have is a champion sidewinder, and i got it probably three months ago. of all the times i've played since then, i've thrown it on probably 20 holes. i love this disc a ton, but i refuse to lose the only champion disc i have.

the only champions were tye dye where i had a gift card to haha

Latest posts