• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing without heat, using a mask

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Without getting my new dye setup installed in the new home garage, I'm still wanting to get a couple dyes done(if you're a dyer, you probably hate throwing "blank" plastic as much as I do).

Anyone have any success dyeing with a vinyl mask without heat? I've tried using acetone, but it instantly peeled away the mask at the edges. I still want to achieve the rich, deep colors that heated dip dyeing can provide, but don't know how to achieve without heated dip dyeing.

Pointers would be great, examples, tips, anything! :clap:

I rarely heat my dye for vinyl/stencil dyes. Just leave the disc in longer from my experience. I've left discs in dye for 2+ hours before and nothing bad has happened.

Bennett, I'm pretty sure heat isn't necessary. It just speeds the absorption of the dye. Otherwise painting with detergent wouldn't work. Time is the only thing that changes. When I paint with dye I go from 30 minutes to 8+ hours depending on the shade I'm going for, and the plastic I'm dying.

I never dye with heat. I mix shaving cream with the room temp dye until I get consistency doesn't fall off a straw (from the marbling with shaving cream threads). Then I let sit for 1-2 days. I get decent results (most of my posts are dyes). If I'm not pleased, I just mix another batch, or use my leftovers and let the disc sit again. Maybe my blacks could be blacker, but they turn out decent for what I do. Idye definitely is more vibrant and quicker then the RIT. I have messed with the pectin method as well. That works as well, but I find you need to dye several times as the dye dries up quickly.

I'm with Eky8 on this. If I had to do it I would probably go ghdisc's route, do a RT dip for a couple of hours. You're using good vinyl so it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're in a hurry :D.

64b64472-3d0e-4050-92d8-6b70bd2e7c0c.jpg

I've used this with good results. But it takes multiple applications to get the colors rich/dark. Does allow for finding the right shade, just not quick process.
This was my first attempt at dyeing. Sorry for not posting the pic in last post, but had to figure out how.:wall:

Attachments

• 64b64472-3d0e-4050-92d8-6b70bd2e7c0c.jpg
    64b64472-3d0e-4050-92d8-6b70bd2e7c0c.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Try this again:
IMG_2013032747705.jpg
Sorry guys but I'm trying to figure the whole post pics thing out. Thank you for you patience. :doh:

Don't forget to put the wet painted disc in something airtight. I use a large tupper ware tub with lid and a damp paper towel underneath the disc. Keeping the dye wet can make a big difference.

If you don't have large tupper ware, put the disc in your 9 " cake pan with a garbage bag around the whole thing.

Thanks guys. Got some vinyl cut last night, will try to get something done tonight.

bigmanbailye, I have done exactly that, and should've remembered.

The black was done with heat, but the red splatter was just as described above -- dripped on in a big tupperware container, then lidded with some wet paper towels thrown in to keep up the humidity.
7817350568_b8b6bc07ce_z.jpg