• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Drift

It's just a video of a disc floating, not too thrilling.

But I don't really get the point of floaters. If it's in the middle of a pond, I still can't get it whether it's on the surface or 20 feet under.

qft.

Make a disc that naturally works its way to the edge of the water and you'll have a customer.

I intend to throw zero discs in to the middle of the water, which is how many discs I will buy for that purpose.

I will probably throw a bunch in the pond at our family farm on the course I'm building there- and have a dingy with a fish net in it- so this is right up my alley

I just keep thinking that this whole idea is strange. I mean, a few molds that float (like the Wahoo or Dragon) makes sense because it will appeal to some people but it's not ever going to be a top priority for most players. But the fact that it's an entire plastic line makes me wonder if they've stumbled onto something different. Is it possible that they will be able to produce max-weight, low density discs that will retain the stability of their Lucid counterparts but also float? Because that seems unlikely. And if it isn't that, why not just market a few Lucid Air molds as floaters (a la Blizzard)?

But the fact that it's an entire plastic line makes me wonder if they've stumbled onto something different. Is it possible that they will be able to produce max-weight, low density discs that will retain the stability of their Lucid counterparts but also float? Because that seems unlikely.

I'm no scientist, but an air channel in the rim combined with greater urethane content would allow for properly proportioned max weight discs with low enough density.

Or maybe drift will be molded using wood, ducks or witches. All three of those float.

Either way, I'm guessing these will be pricey.

Is it possible that they will be able to produce max-weight, low density discs that will retain the stability of their Lucid counterparts but also float? Because that seems unlikely.
If an object weighs more than same volume of water, it will sink no matter what is the weight distribution. Simple as that.

I'm a bit dissapointed with Trilogy's huge focus on starter plastic. Sure it sells the best and will help the company grow and finance future molds and sponsor players, but they still have gaps in their lineup they could fill in first.

They have very recently come up with a lot of starter molds, starter plastics (the Prime is only sold as kits in Europe) and now the floating plastic that is definitely not aimed at the more advanced players.

Still looking for the Trilogy PD... :(

YAY just what all the trilogy players wanted. Cant wait to see an Emac ITB with him testing out some "drift" plastic :|

Innova floaters seem like very successful molds so these should be a hit!

It's just a video of a disc floating, not too thrilling.

But I don't really get the point of floaters. If it's in the middle of a pond, I still can't get it whether it's on the surface or 20 feet under.

A fishing pole with the right hooks and bobbers can help pull it to shore. I've done it several times with a floating blizzard disc.

If an object weighs more than same volume of water, it will sink no matter what is the weight distribution. Simple as that.

Unless I misunderstand what you're trying to say... that's quite false. Weight is irrelevant. A grain of sand sinks in a lake. A tree does not... cause density. And there are plenty of low-density polymers out there, but it's a matter of finding one that retains proper flight characteristics.

Also, yes, a disc made of ducks, witches, and very small rocks. I'm all for that.

Unless I misunderstand what you're trying to say... that's quite false. Weight is irrelevant. A grain of sand sinks in a lake. A tree does not... cause density. And there are plenty of low-density polymers out there, but it's a matter of finding one that retains proper flight characteristics.
Ummm, no. :D

If you have a ball that weighs 1kg, it doesn't matter whether it is filled or hollow. As long as the size and weight are same, they will also float/sink the same.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the low density polymer you talk about means low weight version of the same mold. Sure there are overstable Blizzard molds, but that is not really what we are talking about here. You can not make the same mold in same weight where one floats and the other sinks.

Also, yes, a disc made of ducks, witches, and very small rocks. I'm all for that.

Key words that he used in there is same volume- weight/volume is density.

the dragon is a go-to driver for beginners that i play with because it's so understable. i bet that mold sells like gangbusters.

i live in a town where stores only stock innova discs, and as someone who'd love to go to physically feel up some swedish plastic before purchasing it (i get what i get from online vendors), releasing the drift and prime plastics seem like prudent moves that will get trilogy discs into more people's hands.

I'm a bit dissapointed with Trilogy's huge focus on starter plastic. Sure it sells the best and will help the company grow and finance future molds and sponsor players, but they still have gaps in their lineup they could fill in first.

You pretty much answered your own question.

Key words that he used in there is same volume- weight/volume is density.

That is exactly what I was missing -> same mold = same volume
Then weight means everything.

But then why call this a new line of plastic? Isn't it just Lucid Air?

It isn't that hard to figure out what weight a mould must be under for it to have a low enough density to float. Water has a density of 1 g/ml (or dm3), so long as you can make plastic that has a lower density than that it will float, to be safe probably around 0.95 or less should be good.

I.e.
1. Measure amount of water to high degree of accuracy ie 1000.00ml for example
2. Submerge a disc of the mould you are interested in making float to see its volume + vol of water. i.e. 1160.00ml (numbers totally made up)
3. Volume of disc is 160ml(cm3)
4. Weigh disc. 170g
5. 170g/160cm3=1.0625g/cm3 or density of 1.0625 if this was the case you have to shave off some grams by moulding the disc in a much lower density polymer or injecting many more bubbles into it.

From what I understand flexible urethane has a density of about 1.05g/cm3, not sure what the actual plastic type they use is but it has to come under that 1g/cm figure to float.