• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Eagle vs. Teebird

A mix of the two = Icon Rival. It has the slight turn of the Eagle and the fade of the Teebird. Pinnacle Rival is going to probably be more like the Teebird. Great disc!

The Rival will also penetrate a lower better than either disc. Good for low ceiling shots.

Edit: Between the OP's selection, I would go with the Eagle. You can cover Teebird shots with the Eagle but can't necessarily vice-versa.

Last edited:
^With all due respect an EX fades harder than a Teebird...it just turns more initially.

I'll cosign that Rivals [Teebird clone] are an awesome mold.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; the Stag is the best Teebird/Eagle type disc out there if you want some turn, but not too flippy, and serious glide.

I'll agree that the Stags have insane glide, but for me they weren't any where near as predictable as an Eagle or Teebird. Could of just been the run that I had though.

As to the topic, Get a DX Eagle and a DX Teebird! A seasoned DX Teebird is an amazing disc, it's the only teebird I bag (when I bag one). Otherwise it's DX Eagles (x2) and Max weight Star,(all the X-Mold). And I pair them with DX Gazelles.

I'll agree that the Stags have insane glide, but for me they weren't any where near as predictable as an Eagle or Teebird. Could of just been the run that I had though.

As to the topic, Get a DX Eagle and a DX Teebird! A seasoned DX Teebird is an amazing disc, it's the only teebird I bag (when I bag one). Otherwise it's DX Eagles (x2) and Max weight Star,(all the X-Mold). And I pair them with DX Gazelles.

There are flippy ones, and then there are the beautiful ones that throw just like an Eagle with the glide all the way up.

If you want good straight flights, with enough finish to be trusty but not dumpy, then look at Star/Champ TL or S/C-FD, IMO. The Teebird is better in wind than these discs, but these discs are definitely not unpredictable in a breeze. I think they are more enjoyable to throw for 300' arms than a Teebird unless you have a worn in Star or Gstar on the mellow end. If you have a beefier Teebird, it will be significantly shorter flying than either of those discs.

That's the second time someone has mentioned the FD, and I have to say, I really like those flight numbers! With a little work on my bachand drives I should be able to drive that one at least 300 feet, maybe even further! I'm thinking I'll go with it for straighter fairway shots, and then get a teebird or an eagle for my overstable fairway shots.

Yeah that's a great pairing. Go with an S-FD so it is on the more neutral end, to pair with the Teebird or Eagle. I do prefer the Teebird, I haven't tried many Eagles but I have thrown one or two that had a very dumpy/glideless flight. It's been a while though, and there must be better ones out there since Eagle throwers love them, even though Teebirds seem to vastly outnumber them.

Try a Q JLS or a Mantis of any type. Both have some fade new, but are real workable. If you get a Crystal Z Mantis you have your Teebird like disc, regular Z is a real workable, and X can be great for turnovers.

^With all due respect an EX fades harder than a Teebird...it just turns more initially.

True, however I've had some seasoned star EXs hold a straight line similar to a Teebird. Let me clarify: the EX in different plastics, stages of wear, and with the appropriate throwing angles can cover the Teebird shot while the Teebird in different plastics and stages of wear won't cover the Eagle shot. The reason is due to the slight turn and stronger fade of the EX.

If you want good straight flights, with enough finish to be trusty but not dumpy, then look at Star/Champ TL or S/C-FD, IMO. The Teebird is better in wind than these discs, but these discs are definitely not unpredictable in a breeze. I think they are more enjoyable to throw for 300' arms than a Teebird unless you have a worn in Star or Gstar on the mellow end. If you have a beefier Teebird, it will be significantly shorter flying than either of those discs.

^^^ This. The only $0.02 I'll add is that the TL is just a bit more stable than the FD (especially the Champ TL). The FD turns just a bit for me, while the TL doesn't turn quite as much and fades more reliably. I tend to throw TLs in tight tunnel situations, whereas I'll throw the FD if I have some room on the right to handle the turn (RHBH throw).

To the OP question, a DX Teebird will season in to a TL-"ish" flight...

Drove with a beat-in 175g DX Teebird most of my drives today in a tournament: Laserbeam straight, tiny fade at the end, fine long annies, no flipovers -- such a great disc in this condition! My 175g Champion Teebird served for the overstable drives. I wished I had my 158g Star Teebird (TL-like) with me for straight drives with a bit more dependable fade at the end than the DX.

My Q JLS stayed in the bag and the Star Valkyrie too saw few action (I would have better used the Teebird in these cases as well).

DX Teebirds for the world! :)