• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle-X, Eagle-L, and Teebird

I have three teebirds in my bag, i love them! but the eagle is a step up :D

I'm going to have to disagree, but I should try another Eagle. Now that I think about it, I've had seven or eight Eagles, but I've never bought one. Maybe I'd like it better if I broke it in myself.

I'm going to have to disagree, but I should try another Eagle. Now that I think about it, I've had seven or eight Eagles, but I've never bought one.
I had abandonned the Eagle early on, going with the Teebird/Leopard combo. But as my technique has improved, I'm trying them again. There is a reason alot of good players carry both. There are a couple holes here and there that I may be able to improve upon.

Maybe I'd like it better if I broke it in myself.
Like shoes? ;)

That doesn't sound like a hiccup to me. Beat in the X's. The extra fade you can get from them over the L will make for some really cool 'S' shots.

That's my plan. It's flying fairly straight for me so I may use it in place of the Teebird right now (I can't believe I just said that! :eek:) so it will get more frequent flyer miles.

The whole beating-in-of-discs concept had me a bit skeptical early on, but I'm intrigued by it now. There's a reason the pros do it.

When I was a new player, I didn't like my Eagle-X's that much at all. I just didn't have enough power to get the proper flight out of them, the disc just seemed too overstable. Back then I threw Teebirds with much success, but about 6 months ago I decided to try my Eagle-X again and it was love at first throw. Now that I have more snap and power, I get the beautiful flight that makes the eagles so popular. Thrown flat and nose down with a good amount of snap they track right just a hair then they straighten out for awhile and always fade nice at the end. I love my Star Eagle-X's!

When I was a new player, I didn't like my Eagle-X's that much at all. I just didn't have enough power to get the proper flight out of them, the disc just seemed too overstable. Back then I threw Teebirds with much success, but about 6 months ago I decided to try my Eagle-X again and it was love at first throw. Now that I have more snap and power, I get the beautiful flight that makes the eagles so popular. Thrown flat and nose down with a good amount of snap they track right just a hair then they straighten out for awhile and always fade nice at the end. I love my Star Eagle-X's!

Sounds like my story, exactly! Now I'm back to Eagles, seeing if I can get them to do what I want. Sounds like I should be able to, now that I know the difference between X's and L's.

Sounds like my story, exactly! Now I'm back to Eagles, seeing if I can get them to do what I want. Sounds like I should be able to, now that I know the difference between X's and L's.

Give them another shot for sure! Without enough snap they just like to fly straight then fade off early in flight, acting like a typical overstable driver. Once you can get them up to proper cruising speed, their true qualities come out. The Eagle-X has a nice slight right turn during it's high speed portion of flight that looks beautiful when executed. I can get some of my straightest drives with these, not to mention some beautiful S-turns when thrown with a slight anny release....it will always come back at the end.

If your Eagle's still aren't flying well for you, try dropping down in weight a bit. Most of my drivers are around 168-175g but actually like my Eagle-X's no heavier than 169g. My favorite one, and most beat up one is 167g. If yours is still too overstable, try dropping a few grams.

Does any one know where I could pick up a couple eagles in the X mold in champion plastic? Thanks.

I gotta throw my support behind my beloved Eagles here... I was lucky enough to have some guy over at Wal-Mart of all places turn me onto a CE Eagle (174 weight I think, this was YEARS back) and it was the start of a beautiful relationship.. I learned to FH on that disc, and learned to love it's flight... It was Overstable for me when throwing it backhand, until I started to seriously hone my RHBH craft, then it's understable nature was revealed (altho the disc should have been Well beat in by that point).. Now that's mostly how I throw it, to get nice long, straight distance RHBH.

Now I prefer much more overstable discs to throw FH (crntly a Star Xcal), but I can't elude the feeling that the touch I used to enjoy throwing my Eagle FH is beginning to escape me.. Or at least when I try a run-up and throw FH, I develop too much spin/torque and the disc dives left... But for a standing FH toss, my Eagle was money.. Now as my game has evolved it's a long straight (slight right lean initially) fairway driver for me..

So the old Eagles are considered Eagle-Xs now ?

Eagle-X's have the notch on the underside of the wind, where the Eagle-L's are smooth. Eagle-X's are da bomb, Eagle-L's are wack :)

Had mine out again last night, for some practice. Compared to my champ teebird, the DX X is flying basically straight with bigger fade, maybe a hint of turn. The L is making a small turn, and then fading back just about as big.

One thing I noticed is that my Champ Teebird wll hyzer, but it "falls" out a bit early. The Champ L would tend to stay in a gradual left turn (RHBH) and then fade, giving a bit more distance. Both discs are newish shape and 175. Of course, the Teebird will lock in on a straight line like nothing else does.

The Eagle seems to be the more "workable" disc, which is what others have been saying all along.