• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elbow pain

BlarneyStoner

A friend suggested I alter my forehand grip so that the disc is resting at almost a 90 degree angle to the rest of my hand. After trying it for a round, I had to agree that it added at least 30-40 ft to my sidearm drives. That night I felt some pain on the inside of my elbow. It doesn't hurt constantly, but when I extend my arm to locked, or at the end of a sidearm throw, there is a little bit of pain. It's nothing too terrible, but I don't want to ignore something serious that'll bite me in the ass later. It seems to feel better for a little bit after I stretch out my forearm. Does this sound like tendonitis/golfer's elbow? Could I have hyper extended my elbow without significant pain?

yeah it sounds like golfer's elbow, or medial epicondylitis. i have lateral epicondylitis (from backhand throwing, among other things) and it kind of sucks how long it's hung around -- over a year in my case. it doesn't help that i'm in my mid-40s and didn't try to take care of it at all for several months. do what you can now to take care of it (ice, rest), so that what's an irritation now doesn't turn into scar tissue long-term.

it sounds like you aren't getting your elbow "through" early enough, which often happens if your elbow is wide off your body when the disc comes through.

focus on coming through tight and punching outwards at the END of the throw and this should relieve elbow stress.

but yah, from the sound of it, the motion of your elbow with your current form will likely lead to joint damage.

FH throwing and medial joint stress go hand in hand. A simple provocation test fro ME would be to outstretch your arm at shoulder level, forearm supinated( palm up), and fingers extended. Take your other free hand and apply pressure down on your hand as if you were trying to push your fingers down towards the floor. Resist this motion with your outstretched arm as to "meet" the force being applied by the non affected arm.

If it hurts, then ME is more likely.

If it doesnt, probably not! You can also palpate the medial epicondyle itself and feel for tenderness and heat on the bony prominence. If nothing, you may have yourself a lil ligamentous strain.

Definitely do not let this cascade into a problem. Stay pain free, know your limits, reduce the inflammation.

Thanks guys. For a sport without any contact, I've sure been hurting myself a lot. I've taken a couple of days off. Been icing it a couple of times a day. Feels a lot better today. I'm going to try and keep my elbow closer in to my body, and work on a better follow through. Does anyone think that one of the forearm straps that ball golfer's use would help take some stress off the joint?

Are backhand shots "safer" in regards to this type of injury (tendon I think??) or is it just part of getting a good snapping release?

BlarneyStoner said:
Thanks guys. For a sport without any contact, I've sure been hurting myself a lot. I've taken a couple of days off. Been icing it a couple of times a day. Feels a lot better today. I'm going to try and keep my elbow closer in to my body, and work on a better follow through. Does anyone think that one of the forearm straps that ball golfer's use would help take some stress off the joint?

those straps can sort of work in some cases but it's better to deal with the inflammation directly, and to fix your form so the strap isn't needed.

Are backhand shots "safer" in regards to this type of injury (tendon I think??) or is it just part of getting a good snapping release?

yes, backhand shots are safer in regards to this.

long-term throwing with sidearm requires very good technique to not develop joint/tendon problems.

every year i meet 3-4 people who converted to backhand from sidearm due to elbow injury.

a lot of people teach not to keep the elbow close with sidearm throwing, but getting it too far out increases the chance of injury.

BlarneyStoner said:
Thanks guys. For a sport without any contact, I've sure been hurting myself a lot.

I'm not so sure this is the case. Have you seen water surge into an empty hose at high pressure? That's why there are two strong guys putting out fires holding on for dear life to the hose. Similar snaking action and recoiling happens while throwing. You're trying to shake muscles, tendons and joints off of bones like you're being bounced around in an earthquake.