• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] ESP v. ESP FLX?

Groover

I wanted to see people's thoughts on the FLX plastic vs. the regular old (melts in south Texas) ESP.

Lets hear those opinions; I know everyone has one...:confused:

I much prefer regular ESP, but that's simply because I don't like overly flexible discs. They feel odd in my hand.

Normaly I use esp, but I have one flex buzzz, it does what the buzzz SS promises, only much better.

i had an esp and flx buzzz in the bag at the same time and the flx was a lot more overstable. my flx buzzz almost flew waspish whereas the esp flew somewhat flippy. weights were the same on both discs and both were very flat.

i haven't thrown a ton of flx plastic but i noticed it was more low speed overstable as well.

the parting line height on my flx buzz is significantly higher than any other ones, glo included.

Depends, the saying goes around here "Welcome to Rochester, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes". Cold/wet conditions, FLX is awesome, hot/dry conditions, ESP is much better.

i prefer flx for my buzzz and drone but would imagine if i threw discraft drivers i would choose esp. esp buzzz seem a little slick in my hand. never got used to them.

I have a FLX Buzzz and it's just gotten flippier the more it gets worn in. Like most discs, of course. But I think the difference is the durability of the plastic makes it wear in smoother than, say, Pro-D or DX where you can get nicks or bends that make it fly unpredictably. I have a newer Cryztal Buzzz as well, and that always flies more stable for me. I'm not a huge fan of the FLX plastic, but I got it for my Buzzz when I started playing wooded courses because I expected a lot of tree beatings.

depends on the mold, what i want it to do, and how floppy a particular FLX disc is. after carrying a few molds in that plastic, i've been shying away from the FLX plastic for a bit now.

i love my FLX Buzz. smooth lines and sticks where it lands. also doesnt kick off trees very far. i have 2 ESP Buzzz's and one is kind of stiff while the other is almost as flexible as the FLX. i dont like the slickness of the ESP sometimes though.

My only experience with the FLX plastic has been with an XL and that experience has been good. I like the positive grip and it is a great disc in the woods.

IMO FLX plastic doesn't fly right. What I mean by that is if you compare the molds that Discraft makes in all their plastics (Challenger, Buzzz, XL, Pred, Avenger SS, etc), the FLX version always flies least like the others. The discs almost feel as if they resist spin, and the spin dies fast as soon as they slow down. Sometimes FLX discs even look as if they stop spinning completely before hitting the ground.

I admit that in the winter FLX discs look and fly more like ESP discs do in the summer, so I understand why cold weather players would like them.

I've taco'd almost every FLX disc I own. Another one-hit-and-done plastic from discraft if you have any kind of arm. IMHO the stuff is junk.

EDIT: guess I should take that drone out of my sig considering it too was recently taco'd beyond it's usefulness to me.

I have a FLX Buzzz and it's just gotten flippier the more it gets worn in. Like most discs, of course. But I think the difference is the durability of the plastic makes it wear in smoother than, say, Pro-D or DX where you can get nicks or bends that make it fly unpredictably. I have a newer Cryztal Buzzz as well, and that always flies more stable for me. I'm not a huge fan of the FLX plastic, but I got it for my Buzzz when I started playing wooded courses because I expected a lot of tree beatings.

I love the FLX for the Buzzz. Used mine for nearly two years with tons of abuse and still flies like the day I got it. Not flippy in the least bit.

I like both esp and flx, along with cryztal Z, from September thru April. It's those warmer days where my Z/champion plastic holds up and flies the best.

I have an FLX Predator and I love it during the fall winter and spring, but not friendly in the Tennessee hot and humid summer. They plastic holds up well and its great if you play in wooded courses. It abosrbs impacts well so if you knick a tree it will tend to stay close to the fairway instead of kicking off like esp or z. When i got my first set of discraft discs, I bought three flx disc. Predator, Buzzz, Challenger. Later I added the FLX Drone.....those are the only 4 discs I really need. My friend bought the avenger ss, xl, surge, and surge ss in Flx...they are great discs love the girp in the cold, but they do seem to fly a lil bit diffrent than the z counterparts.