• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

European Masters 2014, live on national TV

cool. hoping there will be more video coverage than just the final round.

Jamie why don't you film all the rounds while you're over there? You flew all that way, might as well get as much footage as you can yeah?

Just because I'm not filming rounds doesn't mean I'm not getting footage. Trust me, I didn't just hop on a plane without a plan, that's not how we operate. ;)

I'm there with you. On a side note, if you are making bad life decisions and not filming all the rounds... is LCGM8, hassimuss, or one of the other European guys at least filming the rounds leading up to the final? Thanks for the work!

No, because this tournament is being run correctly. Media rights have been sold. The days where people can just roll up and film without permission are numbered.

No, because this tournament is being run correctly. Media rights have been sold. The days where people can just roll up and film without permission are numbered.

I definitely appreciate everything you do. However, I'm not really with you for the most part. Being in Sweden allows for a situation where the Media rights can be sold because it can actually be played on National Television. That's not applicable for 99% of tournaments. And the whole "because this tournament is being run correctly" also feels elitist and as if you're speaking down about every other event.
Plus, what good are media rights if no one is actually filming in the first place. No good.

I definitely appreciate everything you do. However, I'm not really with you for the most part. Being in Sweden allows for a situation where the Media rights can be sold because it can actually be played on National Television. That's not applicable for 99% of tournaments. And the whole "because this tournament is being run correctly" also feels elitist and as if you're speaking down about every other event.
Plus, what good are media rights if no one is actually filming in the first place. No good.

It is better than every other event in the world. Probably a tie between this and USDGC but the both excel in different parts. European open and European masters would get my vote though.

...and I appreciate your support of SpinTV and the DG filming community at large, but you have mainly speculation and few facts, which is what I'm trying to nip. The insinuation that "nobody is filming" is one of those problematic speculations I'm referencing.

Media rights can be sold at any event. Whether or not they are profitable is another (irrelevant) discussion entirely.

The powers that be, whom I have great respect for, have dictated that exclusive coverage is reserved for 2 national TV stations in two countries (for the live coverage) and for SpinTV (edited). That is correctly run. That's not an elitist opinion, it's how every other sport works. Fox doesn't scoop ESPN's football games, and ABC doesn't scoop NBC's coverage of the Masters. It shows respect for the people who work hard to bring (FREE!) coverage of the events to a wide audience. All tournaments should be run like this, it's how the world works.

Good Deal. Definitely appears to be one of the best run events in the world, and I certainly have to take Paul's word there. And I can then agree that Media Rights being utilized makes a lot of sense for this event, and consequently would make a ton of sense for most NTs, Majors, A Tiers, etc. My only concern would be for the situations where available footage is only available for a limited part of the event, when there would be others willing to potentially cover the earlier less desirable parts of the tournament. It seems that may not really be an issue in this case as I was assuming.

The audience that seeks these videos out, and shares them is currently a small one. Perhaps those like me who would like to see the entire event in the same format is even smaller still. (try and not read this as complaining, I understand the amount of work is large, the underappreciation is large, and the product is a great quality.)

Paul, kill it out there. I'm looking forward to watching you win. (And watch the UFC tomorrow night, should be playing at a good time for you. It's happening in Ireland.)

The audience that seeks these videos out, and shares them is currently a small one. Perhaps those like me who would like to see the entire event in the same format is even smaller still. (try and not read this as complaining, I understand the amount of work is large, the underappreciation is large, and the product is a great quality.)

I hear you on wanting more, and that's the best kind of problem to have! I appreciate the passionate fanbase that disc golf has generated. It makes it fun to deliver the videos and have feedback.

The audiences are growing, so unfortunately media access as it has been is going to change. To think that in 13 months SpinTV generated over 1 million views is insane. The way that I'm trying to think about things is still future-based for sure, but as viewership and popularity grows we all need to consider disc golf as a business.

So that's the big picture as I see it. I don't mean disdain for anybody that works hard to run events, create media, etc. I think it's just the growing pains we're all experiencing as the game we love grows and changes. :thmbup:

...and I appreciate your support of SpinTV and the DG filming community at large, but you have mainly speculation and few facts, which is what I'm trying to nip. The insinuation that "nobody is filming" is one of those problematic speculations I'm referencing.

Media rights can be sold at any event. Whether or not they are profitable is another (irrelevant) discussion entirely.

The powers that be, whom I have great respect for, have dictated that exclusive coverage is reserved for 2 national TV stations in two countries (for the live coverage) and for SpinTV (edited). That is correctly run. That's not an elitist opinion, it's how every other sport works. Fox doesn't scoop ESPN's football games, and ABC doesn't scoop NBC's coverage of the Masters. It shows respect for the people who work hard to bring (FREE!) coverage of the events to a wide audience. All tournaments should be run like this, it's how the world works.

Is there any demand for the media rights to any other tournaments outside of Europe? I am not sure why you say that profit is irrelevant. Why would someone buy the media rights if they didn't see the potential to make a profit?

I feel like this may go in the face of everyone saying grow the sport. Any coverage I can get, I take in. We have people that are more than willing to spend their their free time not getting paid and getting great footage out to us in a timely fashion(here is looking at you DgGuy, Mcfly, CCDG) but if tourney's are expecting to be paid for coverage, that is a step in the wrong direction. It already takes enough to get someone out with a camera and now they have to pay to cover it. Counter intuitive.

Is there any demand for the media rights to any other tournaments outside of Europe? I am not sure why you say that profit is irrelevant. Why would someone buy the media rights if they didn't see the potential to make a profit?

I was saying that profitability of media rights was another discussion which was irrelevant to the point at hand (whether rights COULD be sold or not). Sorry for the confusion. Profit is definitely not irrelevant.

I feel like this may go in the face of everyone saying grow the sport. Any coverage I can get, I take in. We have people that are more than willing to spend their their free time not getting paid and getting great footage out to us in a timely fashion(here is looking at you DgGuy, Mcfly, CCDG) but if tourney's are expecting to be paid for coverage, that is a step in the wrong direction. It already takes enough to get someone out with a camera and now they have to pay to cover it. Counter intuitive.

Ok, gonna have to get tough love on you. Sorry in advance.

Your mentality is the problem. You're freeloading on and taking advantage of the insanely cheap services and good will of people. The people you mentioned aren't making jack sh*t for money. They will either burn out or accept working multiple jobs, giving up their weekends turning cuts over at speeds that people get paid a decent living wage to, for an ungrateful audience who doesn't want the sport to grow because it means their free ride is over.

The worst part is, you've lied to yourself and said "it's good coverage". All of our round coverage is crap. I'm including myself in that, and I'm not firing shots. I'll be the first to critique my own work and point out its flaws. The equipment we use is garbage for image quality, and the execution is average at best. DGPlanet has better equipment than all of the rest of us combined, to give you an idea. What you mean to say is "it's good enough, because I get it for free".

How do we get DG to look good on camera? How do we get a better class of athlete populating the top tournaments? How do we get better looking courses that are also challenging as well as spectator-friendly? It's very simple, and all the same answer: We get rid of the freeloaders and cheapskates.

What I'm saying, from my experiences abroad with disc golf so far, is that it is already happening here, and will soon spread to the US. So prepare yourself.