• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Fairway hyzerflip to straight with no fade

_.-Dut-._

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I throw a shryke (star 167g) 370' on a hyzer release, flips up nice and flat and fades off fairly hard at the end of flight for an idea of my power level. I need a disc that's further than a DX roc and will finish straight, I assume that's a fairway but am open to a faster mid. I've tried a pro leopard and an 400g f5, the f5 especially is close but they both fade off at the end too much. I tried a DX cheetah which is beautiful, but it turns over if I'm not gentle with it. Suggestions? Was considering a warship, tl, dealing with the leopard till it's eventually fadeless from use or even maybe a DX teebird and trying to beat it in

Lately I am liking a beat DX Teebird or a DX Viking for this shot. I recently lost my most beat Teebird and the Viking has taken over its hyzerflip duties until the next Teebird is beat in. My 170g DX Viking has real nice forward fade on it. Beat DX Teebirds are quite fun to throw, can't wait to get one back to where my other was.

Discs I have thrown that are close to straight to (almost) no fade. (All disc fade if thrown high enough.

Z Comet, heavy
Neutron Relay, heavy
Neutron Crave, 150 class.

That's the whole of the list faster than a putter.

Z Heat is an honable mention.

Caveat: All of the above discs need clean form

Last edited:
Atomic Piwakawaka could work. Not much faastwr than the Roc but very little turn or fade.

A mildly beat Recycled Stag is a very overlooked disc here too.

Flies further than a Roc in your experience? I had assumed they were equals in distance

I can throw a Comet farther than a Roc. I throw very clean with almost zero OAT on mids, but I tend not to try to overpower them. Just a steady 85% pull out to ~300.

Maybe this is not true for true power throwers, but that's not me.

Discs I have thrown that are close to straight to (almost) no fade. (All disc fade if thrown high enough.

Z Comet, heavy
Neutron Relay, heavy
Neutron Crave, 150 class.

That's the whole of the list faster than a putter.

Z Heat is an honable mention.

Caveat: All of the above discs need clean form

I was going to say heat also. I've also had a pro leopard and an opto river that did this but it depends on plastic/weight/wear as always.

Flies further than a Roc in your experience? I had assumed they were equals in distance

I agree with Wolfmandragon. Comets fly further for me, too. Not hugely further, just a little bit. Comets don't replace fairway drivers for me.

To answer the original question you asked, here are the ones that have worked for me:
DX Gazelle
DX Teebird
Pro Leopard
TL
Discraft XL
Discraft Mantis? I don't have a ton of experience with this one but it seems like it might fit

I think your original hunch is very good. Fadeless discs are tough to find unless you are willing to beat in a disc that begins with little fade. The problem is that these discs will usually begin to turn like your Cheetah and you said you don't like that. The go-to answer to your question is DX Teebird. That's been the standard choice for this shot since 1999.

Icon Patriot and Z Stalker are both laser straight discs for me if they are beaten in a little bit. Fresh ones will have a decent amount of fade, but they'll lose it over time. Anything faster will generally have more turn or more fade.

Once upon a time I had a beat S-PD that would finish straight, but I've never been able to re-create it. A slightly beat S-CD2 can get there, but I've found that they don't stay in that sweet spot of stability for very long.

I agree with Wolfmandragon. Comets fly further for me, too. Not hugely further, just a little bit. Comets don't replace fairway drivers for me.

To answer the original question you asked, here are the ones that have worked for me:
DX Gazelle
DX Teebird
Pro Leopard
TL
Discraft XL
Discraft Mantis? I don't have a ton of experience with this one but it seems like it might fit

I think your original hunch is very good. Fadeless discs are tough to find unless you are willing to beat in a disc that begins with little fade. The problem is that these discs will usually begin to turn like your Cheetah and you said you don't like that. The go-to answer to your question is DX Teebird. That's been the standard choice for this shot since 1999.
I kind of assumed this was true but was looking for a lazier way to get there. Might snatch a DX teebird, that will be a great disc even new and hopefully beat into what I'm looking for.

A 175g ESP Meteor will bomb on a laser from a hyzer flip. Just figure out the right angle & snap. Its a mid but goes really far.

Warship you mentioned is sneaky long. My most beloved one finally got untrustworthy though and would occasionally turn over on me if I wasn't really careful.

These days I'd throw an FD for that type of shot or maybe an MD3.

I kind of assumed this was true but was looking for a lazier way to get there. Might snatch a DX teebird, that will be a great disc even new and hopefully beat into what I'm looking for.

Get a couple of them.
Also get one in the mid 160's, it will get there faster.

Another option;
Millennium Polaris or JLS

I was thinking a Z Heat when I read the title, but also agree with the recommendation of an FD - I would consider the P-Line if you're looking to start it on a hyzer flip.

A Fuzion Escape might also work for this application.

Latest posts