• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fall Flight Chart Update

went out and re-rated the Ion as well as new ratings for the sole and ibex.

The Ion was a 2/0/+2/1. Seems like it shortened up by about 10% since they went to the translucent plastic though.

Sole: 2 / 0 / +1.5 / 1

Ibex: 3 / -1 / +1.5 / 2

Blake_T said:
went out and re-rated the Ion as well as new ratings for the sole and ibex.

The Ion was a 2/0/+2/1. Seems like it shortened up by about 10% since they went to the translucent plastic though.

FYI the Ions are the same plastic, just a different coloring effect. I've noticed no real distance difference between the plastics, let alone 10%...That is the difference between different speed classes of discs and I'm using the clear Ions on all the holes I used to use the opaques and throwing them the same distances.

This ^^
I'm just back from a putter round w multiple ions, no difference in distance or flight between new and old, except for the beaten ones being a bit straighter.

The new clear ones have a bit more HSS and LSS, if anything this has given me more confidence to rip them and they're going longer.

FYI the Ions are the same plastic, just a different coloring effect. I've noticed no real distance difference between the plastics, let alone 10%...That is the difference between different speed classes of discs and I'm using the clear Ions on all the holes I used to use the opaques and throwing them the same distances.

Then these runs are "beefier" on the shoulder and thicker in the flight plates than the earlier soft and medium runs. If you know how some wizards get that way, you know what I'm talking about. Another comparison would be a KC Aviar vs. a Star Aviar Driver.

The new clear ones have a bit more HSS and LSS, if anything this has given me more confidence to rip them and they're going longer.

Both Dan and I throw putters ~350' (although he can go more like 400'). They just fell faster and had less push during the low speed portion of the flight (keep in mind these were new, but new compared to new is what we were comparing).

Blake_T said:
TeeDevil
5.5 / -1.5 / +3 / 6

Sword
5 / -1.5 / +3 / 5

Bolt
5.5 / -2 / +3 / 5

Rampage
5.5 / -0.5 / +3.5 / 6

I must admit im surprised as well that the sword is rated less than the TeeDevil/Destroyer. i was getting similar distance with the two ive thrown as the destrulcans with less effort.

which were tested? first runs or standard run? every Bolt ive thrown has almost no return fade.

and what color Rampages were used? ive only thrown a dark blue one and that thing had absolutely no turn on it. heck even my buddy who can throw 500+' can really only get it to flip flat.

Smyith said:
and what color Rampages were used? ive only thrown a dark blue one and that thing had absolutely no turn on it. heck even my buddy who can throw 500+' can really only get it to flip flat.
If he can get it to flip flat, he can get it to turn over from flat. A -0.5 turn at power requirement 6 is very little turn indeed.

jubuttib said:

For me the difference between Clear Ions and non clears is day and night in HSS. I can't drive with the non clear ones, because the mediums flex in my grip and wobble in the throw and flip 20 degrees. At pulled power mostly to 287' +- a couple of feet on two dozen throws clear Ion did not flip one degree for me YMMv.

discspeed said:
I was referring to the PDGA Approved Discs and Targets specifications. Both the Sword and Destroyer have rim widths of 2.2cm and have pretty similar specs all around.
Any of you guys ever hold the Sword wing to wing with some Innova drivers? Mine is (despite the PDGA measurements) clearly in Innova speed 11 rim dimensions. If I hold it up to a Destroyer (tried multiple) my VIP Sword is a touch smaller. It mates up evenly with Wraiths and Archons. Useless info, just found it interesting.

NoLifeLeft said:
discspeed said:
I was referring to the PDGA Approved Discs and Targets specifications. Both the Sword and Destroyer have rim widths of 2.2cm and have pretty similar specs all around.
Any of you guys ever hold the Sword wing to wing with some Innova drivers? Mine is (despite the PDGA measurements) clearly in Innova speed 11 rim dimensions. If I hold it up to a Destroyer (tried multiple) my VIP Sword is a touch smaller. It mates up evenly with Wraiths and Archons. Useless info, just found it interesting.

I haven't done a side by side, but that does make some sense as I find the Sword more comfy and little less nose angle sensitive than Destroyers. I believe the Sword is still a bit faster than the Wraith ( I don't have enough Archon experience to comment) as it goes farther on a lower line. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that the Sword is much close to Wraiths/Archons/Destroyers than it is to the Orcs/Starfires that Blake placed them on the chart next to with the 5 range instead of 5.5. I'm just curious, is there anyone on here other than Blake that would put the Sword closer to the Orc than the Wraith/Destroyer?

for me it fell between. the sword vip (only one i hae thrown) is longer then my star sl (i don't currently have an orc) and shorter then my pdd. with that said at 400' my pdd is about 15' longer then my star sl so i don't see a huge differnce IMO.

blake what did you think of the rip putters/ have you got to try a skyquest medusa yet? I am from oregon and am just wonderinghow my state is representing.

NoLifeLeft said:
discspeed said:
My calipers would agree with you. 21.3mm for my VIP Sword, 22.3mm for my yellow E* Destroyer.

And on the distance subject, I'd definitely put the Sword in the Wraith/Destroyer category, and I can definitely throw it farther than Wraiths. It's equal to Destroyers for me in distance.

i think the rng of 5 on the trak is high, i would put it more in the class with leos.

Latest posts