• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Falling putt clarification.

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Are you allowed to side step after you putt in a staggered stance? If I have my dominant foot behind the marker as usual, my back foot behind it, and I let the momentum of my putt carry my back foot out to the side (and no closer to the basket) while keeping my dominant foot behind the marker is that legal? Kind of like starting the putt staggered and ending in straddle.

803.04 - C:

"Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole."

Sounds like you did everything in accordance with the rule to be a legal putt.

It's the "full control of balance" that worried me, but if I'm not advancing towards the hole while side stepping I should be good.

It's the "full control of balance" that worried me, but if I'm not advancing towards the hole while side stepping I should be good.

Yep, you got it.If you don't advance past your marker disc, there is no requirement to show balance. You can perform most any gyration physically possible; flips, cartwheels, planking, etc -- if you so desire. For the less talented ----- falling down or a well-timed grand mal seizure comes to mind.

But, at less than 10meters it is easy to blur the line between stepping to the side and stepping forward. Be thou careful dear brother.

Ron

Yep, you got it.If you don't advance past your marker disc, there is no requirement to show balance. You can perform most any gyration physically possible; flips, cartwheels, planking, etc -- if you so desire. For the less talented ----- falling down or a well-timed grand mal seizure comes to mind.

But, at less than 10meters it is easy to blur the line between stepping to the side and stepping forward. Be thou careful dear brother.

Ron

I must disagree ever-so-slightly with part of what you said. If your lie is within the 10m circle, then it is a putt and the thrower MUST demonstrate full control and balance, but that balance is no closer than the marker disc to the basket. The term "falling putt" is somewhat misleading because you can legally fall sideways or backwards or even at a backwards/ sideways angle -- just not closer to the basket than the marker. But if you do, then you must demonstrate balance AFTER that and before you advance toward the basket if you hole out.

So whether falling, having the seizure, or dancing with the stars behind the marker you must still demonstrate balance at some point before you advance.

I know it's a technicality, but I wanted to voice what I think the interpretation is.

well, maybe i should start enforcing this in league. i know some people with horrible falling putts, even within 15 feet. they will pull a dave feldberg jump putt from 5 meters...

I must disagree ever-so-slightly with part of what you said. If your lie is within the 10m circle, then it is a putt and the thrower MUST demonstrate full control and balance, but that balance is no closer than the marker disc to the basket. The term "falling putt" is somewhat misleading because you can legally fall sideways or backwards or even at a backwards/ sideways angle -- just not closer to the basket than the marker. But if you do, then you must demonstrate balance AFTER that and before you advance toward the basket if you hole out.

So whether falling, having the seizure, or dancing with the stars behind the marker you must still demonstrate balance at some point before you advance.

I know it's a technicality, but I wanted to voice what I think the interpretation is.

Yes, tis so true --- If you advance towards the basket you have to show balance before doing so (inside 10m). But, my point was simply that you are not required to show balance if you don't advance towards the hole. Anything you do behind the marker just adds to the entertainment.

You seem to be making the case that eventually one would have to make their way towards to target in order to retrieve their completed putt or to continue their next putt --- at at THAT time you are required to show balance. In the case of the latter (which could be after other players throw, etc) it seems unlikely that anyone would care. The rules don't support any penalty here.

And in the case of the former hopefully if you made your putt and are laying on the ground recovering from a goofy fall or a moment of physical comedy --- who knows? Maybe someone else would be kind enough to clear the target of your disc. IMO, You holed out when you made the putt. (803.13) And you didn't advance. Three seconds is over. No falling putt. No requirement to do anything.

But, back to the scenario of the OP. I see way to many stances in which the foot that isn't behind the marker is creeepiing forward. On the first observance I usually respond with a "Billy watch that opposite foot, it's creeping up a bit". It tends to get the other players involved so that I get a second when I have to call it later.

I am concerned that the OP's "sideways" movement might sometimes actually be a bit forward. The reality is that it happens so fast that it might be hard to tell if advancement was made or not. Guess we would have to see it.

Ron

If someone was laying on their back or side- with no advancement (bodypart) beyond the back of the marker - I would consider the prone position "balanced".
Gonna have to work on fade- away, fall- down backwards, stradle putts.

If I'm outside of the 10m circle,I can take a sort of walk past my lie as long as I have a supporting contact behind it,and I release before the foot past my lie touches the ground?