• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Farthest flying non wide wing driver?

discmonkey42

Eagle Member
Not a fan of the wide wing discs. I just can't seem to get consistent snap with them. I've tried the Nuke, DD, Quasar, etc.

My longest disc is a nicely seasoned 150g SOLF.

On a good throw, I can get an ESP Nuke a good bit further than the SOLF, but there's just no consistency with that. I'm wondering if there's something out there with a narrow rim that would give the distance of the wide winged drivers without the wide wing.

Valkyrie, the world record holder prior to blizzard technology...

The answer depends on what the definition of a wide wing is. Not terribly wide wing and longish are Sidewinder and Beast. King is the least wide of the wide wings that goes almost to top level distance but still it is large indeed. Valks and PDs are shorter than winders and Beasts.

It's gonna be different for each of us, but I would venture to say:

Speed 10 - Beast
Speed 9 - Valk
Speed 7 - DX Teebird

Depending on how wide is too wide, my 167 Champ Beast bombs. If that's still considered too wide, my beat 175 DX Teebird will match just about any of my other distance drivers if given enough room to work with.

I have the same problem with wide-rimmed discs because of tiny hands (although I'm recently finding some control issues are caused by having thumb too close to edge of disc). I play mostly wooded courses, and find I can throw the longest controlled shots with P-PDs. Valks, Beasts and Flows seem to need more room to move to reach the same distance. Sidewinder, Beast and Flow all have slightly larger rims than PDs and Valks.

I can throw a Dx Teebird farther than I can throw a Valk. The lack of durability made me go to a Star Tl for that slot though. With a slight helping wind, I throw a Dx Beast almost as far as a Destroyer.

Thanks for all the input. The PD is turning out to be the same as the OLF for me so far, just with a bit more fade and slightly better into a headwind (although the 1.2s are beefy enough for this role). I'm not finding any reasons to carry both, although I keep trying. Distance isn't it. My MOLS and SOLS are the same distance as valks for me.

I will have to try a wraith and a beast (I think I've got one of each in the garage somewhere). Sidewinder was the first disc I could get to flex into a distance line when I started playing, haven't had one of those in the bag for years, that's another one to try. I've also never thrown a Tbird for distance. When it was in my bag, it was a powered down control driver only. I know I've got one of those around here to try too.

Appreciate all of the feedback.

Eagle L is the easiest of the slower and not so long discs in that family but the TL is longer and the River and Sidewinder even more so and none pf those are massively winged discs. The best Eagle L is not made by Innova but Daredevil Discs and the Canadian disc is longer.

Slightly domed Dx Teebird.
The original Infernos were very long but even field work would break them in quick.

PMantle said:
I forgot to add, if a decent wind from behind, Starlight Roadrunner, and lightweight Archangel go really, really far.

Thy are terribly understable at any power though. There is one bum run of DX Archangels at leasts and those start out like Banshees so short and hard left finishing.

JR said:
PMantle said:
I forgot to add, if a decent wind from behind, Starlight Roadrunner, and lightweight Archangel go really, really far.

Thy are terribly understable at any power though.
Which is why I said if a decent wind from behind. I've gone out to a field with a much more powerful thrower than me, and we both end up with the same results down wind. His are longer throws, but same discs win. Those lower speed understable discs win out down wind.