• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast overstable slot.

Anyone have experience with max weight C DD's or Champ Wraiths in this slot? My max D in favorable conditions is 380' or maybe a little more, and I'm wondering if I can find a headwind driver that will carry a little further than my C PD's that doesn't require a 400'+ arm.

Fightingthetide said:
Anyone have experience with max weight C DD's or Champ Wraiths in this slot? My max D in favorable conditions is 380' or maybe a little more, and I'm wondering if I can find a headwind driver that will carry a little further than my C PD's that doesn't require a 400'+ arm.

The Wraith isn't the best choice for a headwind fighter. Even though I'd feel comfortable throwing one <400' in a moderate headwind, it's not really an overstable disc, and it will turn quite a bit in strong headwinds. You're kind of at the power level where you can't trust the Wraith. If you had 50'+ more power, you could trust it to flip a little and fly slightly turned over for a large part of the flight. If you had a bit less power you could probably rely on the Wraith even in pretty strong winds. As it stands, it may or may not turn over for you, depending on how good of a rip you gave it and what the wind is doing, and that's not a situation you're really looking for.

I've seen Mark Ellis really talking up the Crush on here. He might chime in about how that is the disc you are looking for! I use the Teebird, Pred, and Force for my headwind duties. FWIW I can throw champ Teebirds significantly farther than beefy C-PDs with great precision, even in strong headwinds. An S-PD would also make sense as a compliment to the C-PD...

CatPredator said:
Fightingthetide said:

The Wraith isn't the best choice for a headwind fighter. Even though I'd feel comfortable throwing one <400' in a moderate headwind, it's not really an overstable disc, and it will turn quite a bit in strong headwinds. You're kind of at the power level where you can't trust the Wraith. If you had 50'+ more power, you could trust it to flip a little and fly slightly turned over for a large part of the flight. If you had a bit less power you could probably rely on the Wraith even in pretty strong winds. As it stands, it may or may not turn over for you, depending on how good of a rip you gave it and what the wind is doing, and that's not a situation you're really looking for.

I've seen Mark Ellis really talking up the Crush on here. He might chime in about how that is the disc you are looking for! I use the Teebird, Pred, and Force for my headwind duties. FWIW I can throw champ Teebirds significantly farther than beefy C-PDs with great precision, even in strong headwinds. An S-PD would also make sense as a compliment to the C-PD...

Then I might just stick with PD's into the wind or now. They work exceptionally well.

I'm already going to pick up a non-flat 175 S or C PD to add to the lineup, and I have a fresh 168 S PD that shows a tiny bit of turn right now. So I feel set there. Thanks for the tip.

CatPredator said:

The crush and the flash both fall under (for me) great drivers that mold up wildly inconsistently.

Dookville said:
If you want to go faster and maintain the stability, why wouldn't a Champ Boss or a C-DD2 be a consideration?

Because they are both warp speed and need a bigger arm than I have. Also, not sure I would trust a C DD2 into the wind. PD's should suffice for me until D increases.

latitude said:
....... interested in replacing it since the current one I carry together with the last three I had broke in weirdly fast. Using it when throwing forehand as well as headwind backhand/bombs. Discs such as ]Force, Xcaliber, Quasar, Pulse etc comes to mind, convince me which overstable fast driver is superior please :)
Looks like some warp speed plastic is what he might be asking for to me. In which case it not hard to find a Boss that is fast and mucho stable. As far as the DD2 goes, as long as its in C line, it gonna be stable enough, even into the wind.