• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FD/Fairway Disc/Dark Rebel/Hawkeye

Interesting that he's saying it's slightly faster even though they still give its speed rating a 7. The original FD's rim was already on the larger side for a 7 speed, measuring in at 17.8mm.

Last edited:
Well this is all needlessly confusing. I have lotsa FDs, reckon I'll just keep throwing them.

FD-L
FD-X

Should we spin off a new thread for the Hawkeye? I have no idea what's going on (cue Towlie).

It does sound like they're making an "Innova Factory Store" line of discs given the approval shifts shown in a previous post.

But, yeah, this is a little confusing.

Last edited:
It sounds like the Hawkeye is just a Halo Star version of the FD but with a new name for marketing purposes (or for confusion).

Dave says "Actually it's a new disc. It's not actually an fd." I'm wondering why that's not enough for you :confused:

Almost wonder if it got the "3" treatment.

Maybe they'll say it's an FD3 to really confuse folks.

Almost wonder if it got the "3" treatment.

Maybe they'll say it's an FD3 to really confuse folks.

Definitely no on the "3" top got my two halos In yesterday and they have more dome then my dark rebels.

Last edited:
From a marketing perspective, I'd think saying it's an FD is a better sale than a new mold. Hard to see his motive for claiming it's something else, unless it is. I personally would not have ordered it if I'd know it wasn't an FD.

I guess there are others who get their feelings hurt that he'd produce a mold that used to be exclusive to discmania, so maybe he'd hide it. That being said I could also see them claiming some minor tweak makes it a new mold.

I'm sure it will fly nice

Alright, my halo hawkeyes came in today. I don't see any difference between these and the dark rebels. I can't imagine what would make these a new mold. Here are some comparison pictures. Blue is halo hawkeye, pink in dark rebel, orange is s-line from 2 years ago, and teal is a night strike 2. As for dome. All 3 Hawkeyes that I got have the same dome as the dark rebel. The older FDs are flatter

Attachments

• 20220307_120824.jpg
    20220307_120824.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220307_120746.jpg
    20220307_120746.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220307_120728.jpg
    20220307_120728.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Got my Hawkeye today and it looks exactly like my Dark Rebels, same wing shape and dome, the flight plate is much softer then the dark rebels. I tried throwing them today but we have 18+ mph winds so its difficult to get a true idea of flight.

Also just weighed it and its 177+ grams

Last edited:
I got one for my girlfriend. Definitely an FD or a new mold they created that replicates it. It may fly like an FD2 in the more stable halo plastic, but feels and looks identical to an FD. I personally don't like the way FDs (and now Hawkeyes) feel but love the FD2.

Got mine in today as well. Virtually identical to the Dark Rebel champs I got.

I compared it to several old FDs including P-Line, S-Line, C-Line, NS runs, and 2nd runs. I got 2 of em and the notes below are for the less beefy looking one. The other one I got has a slightly higher PLH and more dome.

• Rim width is identical.
  • Profile is identical to some runs - there is variation in all discs but there are some that are basically exact matches.
  • PLH is not close to a 2nd run or the Jackal stamped ones they did a year or so ago which are also beefy.
  • NS2 had a slightly higher PLH but less dome. Seems to differ from the post above so likely some variation in the run. My other one is closer to NS2 PLH but domier.
  • NS3 is almost identical to this disc.
  • Stock run S-Lines - some were more domey, some less, PLH was around normal.

I got a few throws before rain rolled in with what I anticipate to be the less beefy one. This is not a 2nd run or FD2 or Teebird like disc. It's an FD and my initial impression is that it is not as beefy a run as I would have assumed a halo one would be. Threw like 7/6/-1/1.5 out of box with the easiest comp being an NS3.

I'm happy to see FDs are still being molded while also kinda disappointed that the halo version wasn't beefier.

I thought it unlikely Dave D would BS that this is a different mold if that is what he said but looking at it next to other FDs, I have to think he was either confusing "new mold" with "new plastic" or they made such a minor tweak as to be unnoticeable from normal molding variation in the disc.

Last edited:
Rim width of new Halo Hawkeye:
nE2FRCn.jpg

Rim width of original champion FD:
h2cxrq5.jpg

Hawkeye measures exactly .7 inches which is 17.78mm. Original champ FD is .699 inches or 17.75mm.

Profile comparison:

aQfjcAo.jpg

Both discs have the same amount of dome, shoulder shape, and wing shape. The wing of the FD is a super, super subtle s-shape, with slight convexity for 90% of its wing, with a slight concavity at the very bottom. PLH is a hair higher on the original champ FD.

Latest posts