• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2 - retooled

How far were you throwing those beat birds?
S-Line fd is a great fairway, decent hss and soft fade. Gstar TB has a very mellow flight compared to star, I suspect you will like them out of the box. The explorer has a similar flight to a gstar iirc.

I've been throwing the birds last season out to about 350 consistently, 300 on an off day. Honestly I learned to drive with a fairway with one of those new star birds 3 years back; and I wish I didn't. The majority of last season was throwing underatable/ stable discs trying to rebuild form. I didn't incorporate anything faster than my leapords until the last month before snow flew and I saw huge benefits doing that.

Either way, now I have an D line FD and while I don't throw it as much as my pro leapord, every time I do I love the thing. I have some seasoned star birds in the mail right now, but this season may very well be the season of the fairway for me. Explorer is on my list to try, as is a more stable fd, and perhaps the TL mentioned above.

Now that I type this who am I kidding, every season is the year of the disc and I just keep trying them. Whether they make my bag is another story!

Leo throwing the new FD2...
Surprised at how much these flip up at speed. Unless they're fairly beat, 2nd run FD's have no high speed turn. Also seems like the FD2 has a pretty dumpy fade compared to the 2nd runs.

It's been forever since I bought any discs, but this one might get me out of that drought!

The new fd2 is very close to 2nd run fd in terms of the profile. Different top than the proto fd2 and different bottom piece also (as in not the teebird bottom).

It is not a Teebird? I'm curious but mildly worried, the TB/FB lip is the secret of disc molding...

Surprised at how much these flip up at speed. Unless they're fairly beat, 2nd run FD's have no high speed turn. Also seems like the FD2 has a pretty dumpy fade compared to the 2nd runs.

It's been forever since I bought any discs, but this one might get me out of that drought!

It looks to be barely more stable than the night strike 2, I kind of have to try one...

It looks to be barely more stable than the night strike 2, I kind of have to try one...

Watching Leo throw them, it certainly looks that way. I max out at 350' so I'm pretty sure they will fly without the high speed turn for me. I've only thrown one of the new night strikes and it definitely seemed more stable than your average FD, but I have never thrown a max weight C-line.

First off, that disc looks SUPER clean. The aesthetics are nearly off the charts for me.
Second, that looks a lot like the Leopard3 top. I will for sure be buying one when they do the stock release, if not sooner.

Shuuuute, that looks REALLY comfy for FH. I love NOTHING MORE than a smooth, convex bottom wing. Got me salivating, going to need to get one of these I think.

Might slot really nicely into the overstable bookend of my FDs instead of the teebird3.

http://imgur.com/gallery/MSKcQqy

Here's a refernce. I had a pic next to a TB and it's not one. The flight that I have seen and heard about in reviews made me immediately buy it. On top of that it's the shape of the rim, it has almost that same neutrality of the FD, that straight slanted wing. Not concave, not convex just right. Obviously this one has a bit different shape but I still like it based on pics. One look at the wing shape and I was into a deal that landed me two of these bad dudes. Two things I never liked about the TB. the notch in the wing, and the fact that I can't get them to stand up without massive seasoning and even then. It's not really the flip to flat line shaper I always wanted.

Is that a tl wing with leopard3 top?

That might actually be the case! The wing/plh is higher than the new champ tl3 though, so I'm not sure if it's modified or just the plastic cooling differently. The fd2 is a fantastic disc, I feel like they nailed it this time. Fits just right to my preferences. Feels great both BH and FH, never really liked the Teebird for forehands because of the concave wing. These are also a bit straighter out of the box and will flip up from a slight hyzer release given about 330-350ft of power, no turn and a soft fade.

I have a little less power so not much initial turn for me unless in a headwind, which it fought well. Not too big fade either. The shimmer FD2 gets the boot. And I may end up switching the 2nd run FDs for something a little more understable to better differentiate from these Leo FD2s. Great feeling disc. You can just tell its going to fly nice picking one up. The bullet shaped nose is so comfy. Firmish rim and the right amount of give in the plate to really dig in.

I got my Royal Rage FD2(v3)'s yesterday. I got two max weights and one 170g. They feel really good in the hand. They have a nice low profile that is pretty flat, but not the flatest disc I've ever seen. I can't wait to test these out and see how they fly.

I got my Royal Rage FD2(v3)'s yesterday. I got two max weights and one 170g. They feel really good in the hand. They have a nice low profile that is pretty flat, but not the flatest disc I've ever seen. I can't wait to test these out and see how they fly.

I did the same but they won't arrive until Tuesday. Has anyone thrown theirs yet?

Hey can one of you lucky owners of the new retool post some profile pics next to FDs, TLs, whatever else floats your boat? A production run of this disc would likely make me open my wallet.

Hey can one of you lucky owners of the new retool post some profile pics next to FDs, TLs, whatever else floats your boat? A production run of this disc would likely make me open my wallet.

Looks like an FD top on a TL bottom. I don't own a TL but I'll snag the picture next to an FD tonight.

This sounds very Eagle-L like more than anything. Which also sounds great but I have a couple new S-line exodus already.
Wonder what will happen with my prototype FD2's?

Is the upper flight plate lip kinda sharp on anyone else's RR? All four of mine have a fairly sharp lip.

QUOTE=Alexplz;3435473]Hey can one of you lucky owners of the new retool post some profile pics next to FDs, TLs, whatever else floats your boat? A production run of this disc would likely make me open my wallet.[/QUOTE]

Alexplz, here i made this for you ;)
oZHCeEA

edit: ok im new, not sure why inserting that as an image didn't work but here is a link to some comparison pictures for the FD2 RR https://imgur.com/a/oZHCeEA
The lighting set up on my photo jig is not perfect for this type of disc comparison but I didn't want to mess up the jig so I left it like this. Hope its good enough for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts