• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feldberg's Towel Tip?

Please do this. I am getting only the "ruffling" noise and no pop. Can't figure what I'm doing wrong...

I'm starting to figure this out finally. I was doing it earlier tonight and I think I got it. You have to loosen your wrist and right before the "hit" let it pop back a little and then forward and you will get the pop down. I think the key is super late acceleration, not sure though. I hope I'm somewhere in the ball park, so to speak.

and one key is to be close to the pec, only way a towel snaps for me
and of course late, quick acceleration

The way I envision it is that the snap from the towel happens a fraction of a second after the hit/snap of the wrist.

The arm comes forward to the pec, the lower arm swings out, the wrist extends (hit), and then the arm follows through continuing the rotation.

The towel gets thrown/accelerated forward by the hit and its the sudden pull back by the continuing rotation of the arm that causes the towel tip to double in on itself causing the "snap" sound.

Sound about right?

i gotta try this.

i seem to have regressed back to 250 from 325 last year :(

Finally! The only way I could get it is that my hand that is holding the towel almost touch my other shoulder as I start my pull through (being that close to my chest). I guess I was holding the disc and my wrist too far out from my chest. I thought I wasn't, but I guess I was wrong!

Wahoo! Now if I can just do this on the course...

Daniel

This Fascinates me. I need to try it.

Just to be clear, does it have to be a dish towel, or does your bag towel work? I have a Fade towel and I dont see where it would be any different.

Well, poop. Now I can't do it anymore.

A friend of mine who is starting to play in the big boys' leagues, has talked to, played against, and befriended Dave F. I'm going to talk to him and get some tips about all this either today or tomorrow. We shall see...

Anyone able to do it consistantly and post a vid? Tried it a few times and seems I dont get the SNAP sound really, but I dont get flutter until it goes past my right pec.

also try...
in dg...
pull your wrist back (maybe 25-30degrees) on your throw and focus on "snapping" a towel when you throw. (It's a coordination trick to throw a disc with nose down, wrist back and slightly hyzer..... )

- too far back adds tons of spin, reduces distance.

i learned this from a dg video i watched.
it's quite similar.... moving your wrist back a "touch" really amplifies the natural spin motion of the throw.

it takes a bit to master.

also try...
in dg...
pull your wrist back (maybe 25-30degrees) on your throw and focus on "snapping" a towel when you throw. (It's a coordination trick to throw a disc with nose down, wrist back and slightly hyzer..... )

- too far back adds tons of spin, reduces distance.

i learned this from a dg video i watched.
it's quite similar.... moving your wrist back a "touch" really amplifies the natural spin motion of the throw.

it takes a bit to master.

What do you mean when you say "pull your wrist back"? Is that back toward the inside or outside of your forearm?

Last night I was practicing in my street and bent my wrist and elbow in a curl, almost giving myself a hug. I was throwing my mids and I could really feel the pull of the disc on my fingertips (in other words, getting more snap). I was getting 250' throws with no run up with my mids. I'm going to have to work on this in the field with my drivers.

I've been having issues trying to develop a forehand throw so I tried the towel trick with that motion last night. Hubby said it looks like I finally got the move down without getting my elbow stuck at my side :clap:. A few more days of reps with the towel before trying it with the disc is in order, I think.

I've heard your muscles need at least 1,000 reps of a movement before it finally "grooves". Ack.

Should the towel be damp or dry? Just wondering, cuz its always easier to snap a wet towel

Should the towel be damp or dry? Just wondering, cuz its always easier to snap a wet towel
Dry. Watch the video someone linked a few posts ago. Unfortunately for me I can get the towel to snap, but when I try it w/ a disc I seem to go back to my old habits. :\

I'm going to have to get this on video, because tonight I started snapping the towel so hard and loudly that it woke up my son (18mos) all the way across the house with the door closed to his room!

These pops are LOUD. Wow. The only thing I've done differently was to 1) keep my hand as close to my chest as possible and 2) Accelerate hard when my hand passes my boobs. (No, I don't have man-boobs.)

Good luck to the rest of ya who are practicing...

Daniel

I'm going to have to get this on video, because tonight I started snapping the towel so hard and loudly that it woke up my son (18mos) all the way across the house with the door closed to his room!

These pops are LOUD. Wow. The only thing I've done differently was to 1) keep my hand as close to my chest as possible and 2) Accelerate hard when my hand passes my boobs. (No, I don't have man-boobs.)

Good luck to the rest of ya who are practicing...

Daniel

If you did have boobs I would come over and pee on them for you.

The point on the video he is making with the towel is that acceleration with the disc is not uniform from start to finish but that there is an exceleration that picks up as the disc passes the chest. This extra speed results in the pop of the towel.

Latest posts