• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally got a tripod - please help me fix my backhand

You need to look away from the target more to allow your shoulders and hips to turn more in the backswing. Your swing is halfway over when you land on the front foot when it should only be starting as you land on the front leg. See below:

Bvh6dxj.png

CzRPwte.png

For more context, here's the top of backswing comparison. If you both farted at the top of the backswing, HUB's target would smell it, but anyone standing to the right of the teepad would smell yours.

9UNfvic.png

0to4OMe.png

Thanks for the feedback! I was doing some one step drills where I definitely get my back to the target, but I think the problem is I'm still leading with ear/top of head rather than chin as sidewinder mentioned. This throw felt smooth but I think I need to work on rocking the hips more and leading with the chin.

https://youtu.be/4WzGpPWHeLg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically looking at that one step - my head is leading my shoulders which are leading my hips and elbow. Seems like it should be hips -shoulders -chin/elbow. Gotta get my power from my hips, which is so different than how I've thrown for 8 years lol but it makes sense

Yeah it's a pretty fundamental change to go from "over the top" like you are doing to "shift from behind". So feeling weird is good.

It's not really the head leading in a rotational sequence - the head turning rotationally can't do anything to the shoulders, but the tilt of the head can affect posture and balance. It's a ground up balance/posture/tilt issue, not a sequence issue.

You are stepping out diagonally away from your center into a wide or awkward stance, instead of striding straight forward in a way to maintain dynamic balance like if you wanted to reverse back to where you came from. You are over committed to moving a certain direction where if you wanted to reverse or change direction it would be slow, instead of staying more inside your posture like a shifty running rack trying to juke quick in any direction they please.

RRsqViW.png

giphy.gif

Gotcha...so I make a controlled, natural stride into the brace. The disc and my arm is lagging behind. Once I'm braced, the disc is going to start coming forward. Trying to make the mind muscle connection as far as what is powering it forward. Feels like maybe it should come from my core? If I focus on pulling the disc across with my core, specifically my right obliques, it feels natural and powerful and keeps me from tipping over the top. Is that the right feeling?

Man looking through some drills today at work and I think what you talk about at 3:10 - 3:20 of the butt wipes drill is exactly what I'm missing. You talk about your chest being pulled towards the target. I can get the feel for it in my office against a wall, now need to get it out in the field

Threw some drives this morning, trying to get that chest pulled towards the target feeling from the butt wipes. Also trying to reach back low and start the throw by dropping into the swing like doorframe #2.
My throws were way more accurate and felt really effortless and like I was releasing further out in front. However, now that I watch the vid, I can see I'm still doing that tip my ear to the ground thing I always do. Ugh. Need to figure out how to fix that

https://youtu.be/Evql8JLEkgQ

Threw some drives this morning, trying to get that chest pulled towards the target feeling from the butt wipes. Also trying to reach back low and start the throw by dropping into the swing like doorframe #2.
My throws were way more accurate and felt really effortless and like I was releasing further out in front. However, now that I watch the vid, I can see I'm still doing that tip my ear to the ground thing I always do. Ugh. Need to figure out how to fix that

https://youtu.be/Evql8JLEkgQ

Note the spine angle change in SW's post #104. It's shoulder lean in backswing (\ spine angle toward target in line with rear leg) then focus on bracing which redirects your spine (from front leg alignment with brace /). This redirection from the ground is what changes angle of ear tip, as a by product. Good luck

Yeah I'm still not bracing correctly. I grew up skiing, I know what that brace is supposed to feel like, just can't seem to incorporate it into my swing. Probably need to go back to one leg drills and really work on swinging while braced against that front leg

Yeah I'm still not bracing correctly. I grew up skiing, I know what that brace is supposed to feel like, just can't seem to incorporate it into my swing. Probably need to go back to one leg drills and really work on swinging while braced against that front leg

Yep, Skiing analogy helps. Catch yourself on inside edge of front ski. Hop back and forth like Paige or shifting/changing direction rb like SW mentioned

Alright so I spent the weekend just walking around the house working on weight transfer, just stepping from one foot to the other like skiing. My wife thinks I'm a weirdo but whatever.

This was my longest throw ever. I realize I didn't turn my hips back at all, I was just focused on the weight transfer and the brace. Feels way different that how Ive been throwing my hole life. Really excited to see my distance once I get my back to the target. Is this weight transfer/brace closer to what I'm looking for?

Slow mo then full speed:

https://youtu.be/tgx94lvAkbg

Brought the camera out today. I've been working on adding a slow x-step. This is my longest drive to date, hole is 360 and I was less than 10 feet short of the basket. Looks like my back leg is still spinning out too much rather than coming behind the brace. Still working on getting that off arm to come into my hip like the turbo encabulator. Anything else ? Feedback appreciated

https://youtu.be/NOWwCXU1CTs

Nice rip. Is that cat hollow?

I think the spinning rear leg was because your weight got just a bit too far left (from the camera's perspective) and "over the toes". Watch your plant foot--you crushed the can, toe to heel, but then you spin on the mid foot (which looks to me like danger for the knee--that foot could just grip the ground). I think if your weight stayed on the heel, the plant foot releases faster, and the trailing leg naturally moves forward like a bowling finish.

It looks to me like you have 95% fixed the problem from your first post, and instead of blowing through the brace like it was never there you just slightly tipped past it.

Nice rip. Is that cat hollow?

I think the spinning rear leg was because your weight got just a bit too far left (from the camera's perspective) and "over the toes". Watch your plant foot--you crushed the can, toe to heel, but then you spin on the mid foot (which looks to me like danger for the knee--that foot could just grip the ground). I think if your weight stayed on the heel, the plant foot releases faster, and the trailing leg naturally moves forward like a bowling finish.

It looks to me like you have 95% fixed the problem from your first post, and instead of blowing through the brace like it was never there you just slightly tipped past it.

Thanks! That is Cat Hollow. I live about 5 minutes from the course and go out there every morning before work. Hole 4 is fantastic for form work since it's pretty hard to lose a disc, though I've come close lol. So yeah - first time a played the Cat over a year ago I couldn't even get over that hill, so feels really rewarding to park it today.

It's been unbelievably challenging to figure out this brace/weight transfer thing but I agree that I'm almost there.

Agree you are trying to rotate too much instead of shifting forward.

Need to get your right shoulder lower/left shoulder higher coming into the plant to match your pelvic tilt. Keep your lower arm below your elbow. You are swinging the lower arm downward with disc nose up.

First form post in about three weeks. Played a tournament and took a break from filming for a couple weeks, but I'm ready to get back after it. Currently getting dx aviars out to 270, rocs to 300, and dx eagles put to about 320 pretty consistently. I've had some random rips with my eagles that got out to about 340ish but couldn't put my finger on what I did different.

Here's an x step, one step, and windmill. My x step doesn't add a ton of distance, usually when I play rounds I throw from a stand still/one step. Still seems like the windmill motion allows me to get the best brace/body position and definitely gives me the most effortless distance.

I know my head turns back to quick in my backswing, I'm not getting my shoulders turned fully targetward, and I'm probably still rotating too much rather than striding laterally. Anything else?

https://youtu.be/-SLz1_i8xDc

Looking better except your rear leg is pushing your upper body over instead of shifting lower body forward ground up. So your swing is downward with nose up because your upper body is going over top. You likely need to adjust your grip to throw nose down with more upward swing. Your eagles should be pushing 350' with nose down.

Would keep working on drills, Drag the Right/Rear Foot(Your rear foot is not moving/dragging forward, your foot goes up to counter your tip over), Swivel Stairs/Chair, Riding the Bull, Slow Motion Drill/Perptually Longer Swing Drill. Find a big downhill lie and throw from that without falling or pushing over the front leg.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3440757#post3440757

Thanks, agree on the nose up issues, sometimes I'll out drive my fairways with my rocs so I know I have an issue there

Field work this morning. Found a downhill lie. First thing I noticed is something Sidewinder has been pointing out for weeks, but I never actually saw it until today. I've developed this sweet downward chop with my forearm, followed by a nose up release. Problem is it feels like a powerful hit and I can still get putters and rocs to fly pretty far cause they don't mind nose up. I really notice it when I only throw my eagles about 15 feet further than my rocs. So I need to fix this:

https://youtu.be/--QKMg-5s1s

Spent my morning working on the dinglearm, coming low to high. Problem is I just can't figure out how to get any snap without this stupid downward arm chop I've developed. Here is probably my best attempt at fixing it:

https://youtu.be/bwJvT9hvX5g

So I'm thinking I need to go back to closed shoulder snap drills and just work on getting snap with the nose down and a more upward trajectory. Any other drills that would help fix this, or just work on that one and the dingle arm?