• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finesse Midrange

peppermack said:
(...) I hope you all are right about the Fuse. I ordered two of em to try out to compliment my Buzzz. Two pink optos are on the way here from MS. I want something easier to keep on a anny line at lower power than my buzzz. Plus I have never been a fan of needing discs beat in to different stages to get the flight you want. I like durable plastic. (...)
From what you're describing, I don't think you will be disappointed. It will fit like a glove!

I know it's been a long time for this thread, but I have to agree with Spike. The Aero is a great disc. I have 3 Star Aeros, all at 180 and they go where I throw. I may screw up where I throw, but they follow the line all the way to the ground.

I have been bouncing between 2 discs the Comet and the Meteor. They are all really nice discs. The comet I really liked because of its versatility on different lines. I could do the same with the meteor and the fuse but it was just more work. The downside to the comet over the meteor is that it gets pushed around in the wind some and is not as forgiving as the meteor. However the comet sure helps keep your form in great shape.

You might also try the fuse it comes in that yummy Latitude plastic. I have a couple and tried them out but I always just seemed to reach for the other two discs. Though lots of people love them and they appear to be a really strong choice.

CHEERS - Koffee

Looks like you found the Cobra as a good compliment, but for my input QMS, Meteor, Fuse are all great discs. The cobra was a bit flippy for me when I had tried it. The QMS I didn't throw long enough to make a good decision on, but it definitely held lines well. The Fuse is like the QMS but glidier, and yet for some reason I just can't get control of it.

So for me, for an understable midrange that turns, I'll use the Meteor. But for shots you want to put a specific line on, I'd have to go with a beat Roc for holding lines. My Roc isn't beat per say, and it holds almost any line I put on it. A pinch more beatness (which it'll never get thanks to the lovely plastic) would hold anything.

I like a heavy glide in this spot or i have an E voodoo that hold a great anny. I used cobras for awhile but switched to squalls for that little extra distance and durablity.

marmoset said:
I have used many discs that fit your needs.

X, ESP, Z Comet
DX Cobra

The Comet is the one that stands out IMO. The DX Cobra is a good second choice.

For me its a cobra. Old school disc that seems to get overlooked these days.

After banging an ace last night with my Z-Comet(177g+), I was on the prowl for a replacement that I wouldn't have to beat up a bit to make it flippy like the one I aced with. After reading some of the comments I went to the store and picked up a GL Fuse. Took it to the course this afternoon and gave it a thorough working. First throw was off the top of the basket on a 300 ft. tunnel shot. I was almost pissed because I didn't want to retire a brand new disc(I retire all ace discs). I was very impressed by its flight pattern. It flew just like my beatup Z-Comet did. This disc is very easy to throw on almost any line you want. As mentioned, it won't do well in the wind, but does work great for almost any other type of mid shot.

Star Skeeter or a Champ Panther are nice choices for straight to anny lines also. The Skeeter will hold what you put on it and the Panther is indestructable.

Mako - all they way. Slow, putter-ish, no fade, holds the line. If a buzzz and an wizard had a bastard child, it would be Mako.

Wanted to throw in another vote for the Meteor. I have been carrying a Comet for a while and it just never agreed with me. Picked up a Meteor and I love it. Feels a lot more like my Buzzz in hand.

What about a beat X Buzzz? With the Glo Z Buzzz as my go-to mid, it'd be nice to keep the same mold.

I've recently rediscovered the dx shark for a nice finesse mid. I had a worn in 177g dx shark that I threw in the bag the other day after acing with my beat in z-comet. I am loving this thing for anything under 330 that needs to be straight'ish to turn over.

Mad Scientist said:
What about a beat X Buzzz? With the Glo Z Buzzz as my go-to mid, it'd be nice to keep the same mold.

I've tried to explore this option a couple of times. The problem I had was that the X Buzzzes I've tried took too long to break in and were overall too stable for my turnover mid. I've tried breaking them in artificially fast by hitting a lot of trees on purpose. This bent the X plastic visibly in many places and the discs looked like shit. Unfortunately this only seemed to make them fly worse. They didn't lose as much stability as you would expect and instead seemed to simply lose glide. When they turned over they just seemed to dump. I'm not sold on X plastic in general as it seems to have terrible mold memory. I have mostly tried flat X Buzzzes. I had one domey one that flew nicely, but it felt too weird in my hand. The Fuse feels much more similar to my Z Buzzz than most X Buzzzes do.

Latest posts