• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finnish Nationals 2018

Flick Maniac

* Ace Member *
Finnish nationals 1st round just completed. I posit that the Tampere Disc Golf Center in the tournament layout is every bit as difficult course as Idlewild. 1000 rated round is between +1 and +2. Ratings in Finland are usually a notch lower than in the US. This course also has fairly little OB to randomly kick into. My prediction is that the hot round will be -7 at best. SpinTV should have video at some point.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/36676

https://discgolfmetrix.com/?u=scorecard&ID=605804

Saw Henna Blomroos for the first time watching the Konopiste video. She is going to be an excellent disc golfer in 2-3 years.

At 11 strokes back after round 1 is Seppo Paju pretty much out of it already?
If he can shoot the remaining rounds under par, one of them preferably about -5, he will have a chance. Keep in mind this layout is similar to Idlewild in terms of overall difficulty, par was rated 1012 today.

My prediction still stands. Hot round today was -5 by Väinö Mäkelä which catapults him into 2nd, one stroke behind Leo who had bit of trouble today. Lead card all played worse than yesterday, so only 2 of them survive in the last group to tee off tomorrow. Leo is a household name, Väinö to some extent for the last 1-2 years too, others are young hotshots. Will be fun to watch. Almost anything can still happen. Starting and finishing holes on FB live.

I wouldn't say Leo had real trouble today, he took two lay-up pars in the last three holes. I'd like to see Väinö take the title now.

In the FPO division, Salonen shot a 993 rated +3 to take the lead at +15 overall. Blomroos is trailing by one stroke, and these two are getting away from the rest of the field as expected. Anna-Sofia Haipus is in 3rd place at +25.

Piironen and Hirsimäki are tied for the lead with two holes to go, Mäkelä two strokes behind them.

I don't want to spoil the SpinTV coverage with this...

Hirsimäki had a 15 foot birdie putt on 18th to force a playoff for the win, but he failed to convert. Unreal!

Why is the Finish Nationals limited to Fins only? Would love to know the background on this tourney :thmbup:. Do other countries follow this model (germany, sweden, etc.)? It would be odd to see the USDGC limited to US pro's only as the amount of global talent in attendance make it such a great event. Although, It does seem like a great way to identify up and coming finnish talent and determine who's the best in the country.

Why is the Finish Nationals limited to Fins only? Would love to know the background on this tourney :thmbup:. Do other countries follow this model (germany, sweden, etc.)?
I'm not sure why it's like that, possibly because every other individual discipline has a similar event here too. I'm pretty sure Germany, Sweden and Denmark have the same tournament as well. It replaced a Finnish championship tour in like 2009 or something.