• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Firebird and Teebird: do I need them? Specs?

I carry both in champ plastic, FB is great for wind and side arm. The teebird is just reliable to me. There are other brands out there just one the ones that can fill those slots for your bag.

I personally think that you really don't need them. However, that being said, you WILL need an overstable fairway driver at some point. I find that Teebirds are a little overrated. Just my opinion, though.

I believe they are two of the best discs ever created, so I think you should at least give them a chance. You're only cheating yourself if you don't.

I'll second this.

There's a reason why every DGCR thread about a new overstable fairway driver contains the comparative phrase, "a _____ Teebird" somewhere in the description. They stand alone.

I prefer my Teebirds in Star, but either way they're awesome.

Firebirds are awesome as well. People are right about the flat, stiff champion runs - they're crazy overstable. This also applies to the Metal Flake runs. I carry 2 FB's for windy courses, a 168 Star and 175 Champ + mold...the one I throw depends on how much I need it to penetrate into a head or crosswind at the end of the flight.

I got them and threw them, and I'm quite happy about my purchase.

170g Star Teebird.
169g Flat-looking champion Firebird. (I chose that over a more domey looking 175 g Star Firebird, but we will see how that goes).

The Teebird I threw on second shots a bunch this morning and it seems like the easiest Teebird to throw I've bought. Still had better throws with the Volt, but got the same distance easily, and I'll give it a chance to wear in to straighten up a bit - it is a tad too stable for the straight/tunnel shots I want to use it for. But ya, it was only like 20 feet short of my distance drives most of the time - which makes me think I should just dump my distance drivers again for a while ;)

Firebird I didn't use as much, but the thing just immediately wants to get the left edge down to the ground. I used it on a hole I need a sharp hyzer line on, hole 2 at Dela, and had a nice throw that did what I expected - I'll really test it when I go to windy courses.

I'm not opposed to using Discs that work great, even if they are made by the top brand in Disc making. It is a bit frustrating it took me 3+ tries to find a Teebird that seems to act like the amazing disc people hype, but I know all disc manufacturers have these issues and Innova will have more because they have been around the longest and make the most discs. Part of it is just me getting better as a player too.

Thanks for all the good advice!

It's probably the last part of that paragraph. Make sure you're throwing nose down and following through (with any disc).

Also...throw that TB over the FB on Hole 2. That hole is super uphill. You want to throw understable discs uphill since you naturally have to throw more nose up the disc will act more overstable. :thmbup:

Latest posts