• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firebird or TeeRex?

RoundWounds

Eagle Member
Hey guys,

So, I bought a DX Firebird about two months ago and it's by far my favourite disc. I use it 95% sidearm and sometimes when it's extremely windy. But, being DX, it's really trashed now and has become way too sensitive for my tastes. So, I was looking at getting a Star Firebird. But, I've come across the TeeRex which has more glide but also more speed. Are these comparable? The Firebird is 171g and I've been throwing it around 350 feet (sidearm).

Which should I upgrade to, Star TeeRex or Star Firebird? No, I don't have the oppurtunity to go try one.

I'd consider the Z Predator. It has more glide and D potential than the Firebird yet still has the reliable overstablility, even into the wind, of the Firebird.

i would actually go champion firebird for sidearm the it slides out of the fingers easier, and if you like firebirds stick with it hold off on the teerex until you get an opprotunity to try it

when i threw side arm I loved the teerex. I miss having my old beat in DX one, but still enjoyed the star one. I couldn't throw that far, but I was never a fan of the firebird to much either.

Yeah, I drive sidearm probably 80%+ of the time. The Firebird's worked well, I just want to see if there's better options for me. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have no experience with a firebird, but I will say that my Star Teerex has turn into a pretty flippy disc, I don't know why....
That being said, I've learn to use it as such and is a super long driver for me now! Not to mention great for long anny shots.

Also, the course I play on is very tight and low canopy (lot's of trees, fairways aren't wide). There's really only two holes where you can open up. So, I have to keep these nice and low.

I'd consider the Z Predator. It has more glide and D potential than the Firebird yet still has the reliable overstablility, even into the wind, of the Firebird.

another for the Z Pred. Great disc and will go farther than your firebird without being unpredictable like the Teerex.

Remember..star monster=Monster L......champion monster=Monster X..

Very different.....

I never knew that, good to know if you are right.

Personally, I think you could use both. The Monster/TeeRex/Flick/Force etc. are all much faster discs than the Firebird or Predator. The potential for distance is greater, but they're generally less controllable. The rims on the faster discs are going to be wider as well, which matters a lot to me for backhand shots, but seem to be less of a concern for forehanders, as the grip isn't as uncomfortable.

If you flick a Firebird 300', for example, you could probably expect 350' from a TeeRex. So for shots that you want 300', pull out the Firebird. For longer shots, pull out the TeeRex.

I will say this, I replaced my Firebirds with Predators, and have been very happy. So chalk up another vote for the Predator.

Lastly, if you like the way the DX Firebird flies, stick with DX. Champ or Star are going to fly very differently. For the price of a champ or star, you could buy two or three DX. Remember too that different weights will fly very differently as well, so whatever you buy, make sure to get a weight that's as close as possible to the one you have.

here you go..
Detailed Description
After the initial run of Champion Monsters, Innova tweaked the mold and ran it with a different bottom half. The result was "monstrous"! It was even more overstable than the original version and was found to be useful in specific throwing situations. The Monster-X is now the standard mold for the Champion plastic with the Monster-L mold being used for the Star plastic. The Champion Monster-X is Innova's most stable, powerful, wind beating distance driver. The Monster-X is not suitable for beginners. Innova's Champion plastic is a translucent material that has a 21st Century look and feel combined with maximum durability.
Available Weights: 165g-175g
Stability Rating: Speed: 9�� Glide: 2�� Turn: +1�� Fade: +3
Speed(1-10) is how quickly a disc cuts through the air, where 10 is the fastest.
Glide(1-7) is how much "carry" or "float" a disc has where 7 is the most.
The flight of the disc is broken into two phases and rated individually.
High Speed Turn is the first part and is rated from -3 (most understable) to +1 (most overstable).
Fade is the end of the flight and it is rated from 0 (stable) to +3 (overstable).

here you go..
Detailed Description
After the initial run of Champion Monsters, Innova tweaked the mold and ran it with a different bottom half. The result was "monstrous"! It was even more overstable than the original version and was found to be useful in specific throwing situations. The Monster-X is now the standard mold for the Champion plastic with the Monster-L mold being used for the Star plastic. The Champion Monster-X is Innova's most stable, powerful, wind beating distance driver. The Monster-X is not suitable for beginners. Innova's Champion plastic is a translucent material that has a 21st Century look and feel combined with maximum durability.
Speed(1-10) is how quickly a disc cuts through the air, where 10 is the fastest.
High Speed Turn is the first part and is rated from -3 (most understable) to +1 (most overstable).
Fade is the end of the flight and it is rated from 0 (stable) to +3 (overstable).

nice! :hfive:

here you go..
Detailed Description

Thanks Bikeknut, that consistent with my belief that my Champ Monster is the most overstable disc I've thrown. Makes a new Ram seem like a beat Stingray.;)

I like the champ firebirds, but I am currently auditioning preds to replace those. I had a Teerex and it was much longer than my firebirds but less overstable as well.

If you are happy I would stick with the Firebird. Great disc, especially for FH. TeeRex will give you more D but Firebird is a true stable disc while the TeeRex is speed stable. I would post a link to that thread but dont feel like digging.

Well, I think I'll give the Predator a try. If I don't like it, I can always go back to a Firebird. What plastic, Elite Z?? Also, can someone compare discraft plastics to Innova? I'm not sure what Elite Z is like.

Latest posts