• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] First post, what do I need.

Squirrilah Fish

Birdie Member
Hello All,
Thank you for welcoming me to your community. I played disc golf a few years ago, but never got too into it. I have been working at Play It Again Sports for the last year, so I have a fair deal of knowledge, but it is only recently I have begun playing. As a newbie I feel I am ahead of the curve because I understand so much about the game already without really having played it very much. I went out today and HAD A BLAST. I even had a couple 350' + drives (In an open field, practice)
My question. I am looking to add a few more discs to my collection. I have a few in mind, but wanted to ask what you think.

I have:
Star Sidewinder
Star Valkyrie
Champion Archon (favorite ATM)
Discraft Nuke ESP
G-Star TL3
Innova Atlas
Discraft Hornet
G-Star Dart
Discraft Soft Magnet
Dynamic Warden

I feel like I have a pretty good mix. Obviously I am just starting out, and really only dial in a few of these when im on the actual course. I would like to have another midrange or two, and maybe another slower drive (>9 Speed)

I was thinking of picking up either a Dynamic Fugitive, or Dynamic Truth, my brother suggested I get a Champ ROC3, as far as drivers I was thinking of getting a Vibram Olace, so I have a good thumber disc. Any suggestions? do you see any holes in my arsenal?

Thanks a ton!

I would get a roc or a buzz and stop there, you already have too many different types of disc. My tourney bag only carries 7 molds, 2-3 of each mold in different condition.

Learn to use what you got before adding then add for what you need that you can't do with what you have now.

At max 350' range you only really need a roc/buzz. I play all our 350 and under courses with a 2 buzz's and a putter.

Untill your pushing 425+ you may as well put the speed 12 and over away.

I think a Roc3 would be a great choice. I would recommend a flatter Champ Firebird for Thumber/Utility disc.

It's always a blast trying out new discs and seeing how they fly, have fun!!!

I would get a roc or a buzz and stop there, you already have too many different types of disc. My tourney bag only carries 7 molds, 2-3 of each mold in different condition.

Learn to use what you got before adding then add for what you need that you can't do with what you have now.

At max 350' range you only really need a roc/buzz. I play all our 350 and under courses with a 2 buzz's and a putter.

Untill your pushing 425+ you may as well put the speed 12 and over away.

:hfive:

Maybe the greatest first post ever.

Cool thanks all. I went out and threw 18 again today, ranging from 410' to 168' I was really dialing in the TL3, think I may have even overpowered it a few times. Or just heisered the crap out of it and didn't realize, lol. Not a bad morning, I shot 6 over, but a few of those were two puts. Thinking of getting a practice target to work on my short game. I picked up a Champ ROC3 a Dynamic Lucid truth. And a LAT64 saint. Realized i didn't have an over stable, other than the Nuke, but I realized I don't have the speed for it yet. In excited to try these out. I was having mixed results with the Atlas today. As long as I'm not too sore. I could feel it in my grip this morning.

While were on the subject, what's the general perception of distance. Sometimes it seems my disc are going pretty dang far, but I just count my steps, or guess. Are you using range finders? I know there is range finder smart phone apps, are those any good? Gosh I'm so into this now. Lol

I actually recommend getting UDisc or DuckyDG (there might be others but those are the only two I have tried). They are scorekeeping apps but also have tons of other useful features including distance tracking. However, they are only accurate to +/- 16 feet and possibly worse depending on location. I usually count my steps... with a fast pace, one step for me equals 3 feet.

When I am doing field work though, and measuring multiple throws at once, the distance apps are very useful. Plus they can store records of your distance for each disc and display the info in nifty graphs.

By +\- 16 you mean there is a 16 foot margin of error? That sounds pretty good. I'll have to check those out. I counted 420 feet on a throw yesterday, but again it was just takin steps and counting, I was doing shorter steps counting by 2

While were on the subject, what's the general perception of distance. Sometimes it seems my disc are going pretty dang far, but I just count my steps, or guess. Are you using range finders? I know there is range finder smart phone apps, are those any good? Gosh I'm so into this now. Lol

I ran concrete boom pumps for many years, everything from a 28m up to a 52m so I can guess distance up to 450' within 15'-20'. When you set up and/or make moves you don't always have the ability or time to get out a tape. After enough time and getting yelled at for guessing wrong, it becomes instinctual. This is why I have no problem using disc speed to range/limit distance at new courses.

I found a great tracking app!! It's called shot tracker, it's free. You just hit start, from the shot, and walk to your disc, and it records the distance (in yards or meters) it's made for Golf, but you can customize your "clubs" and keep track of every disc, seems pretty accurate this far.
Anyone know of anything else like this?

You're juggling a lot of molds so you're gonna want to simplify things if your scores stagnate. Learn some workhorse molds inside and out and then branch out the rest of your bag from there.

Exactly my plan, I'm going to try a new course tomorrow and just focus on mids and approach. All the holes are under 300' basically I'm just bring my New Truth, my Hornet, my Warden, and my Dart

Thanks for the tips everybody. My first nine were rough, shot 9 over, but I got dialed in on the back nine, 4 par, 3 birdies, and 2 bogies. + 8 for the day. My arm is hella sore. I absolutely love my Licid truth. Birdied a 3 par from like 160' it was sweet! I'm addicted.