• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

first snow throw

Paintball1084

Birdie Member
I am playing in my first snow throw on Saturday. I have played rounds and also tourneys before but never a snow throw tourney. Any hints or advice would be great.

No idea what a "snow throw" is? Is that a weird term for an Icebowl?

when you play in the snow. The tourney is called a snow throw so i thought that was a general term. ice bowl/snow throw......

really concentrate on your footwork and keep it smooth. Dont try to put too much power behind it, its super easy to losing your footings and sky the disc way off target.

I like to use understable plastic and concentrate on my lines - unless of course your throwing off of a nice dry tee pad :)

Feel free to PM me with any other questions, I play quite a bit in the snow.

good luck!

Paintball1084 said:
when you play in the snow. The tourney is called a snow throw so i thought that was a general term. ice bowl/snow throw......

Oh, well I didn't know if there was a difference because Icebowls don't necessarily have to be played in the snow, they are just charity tourneys' scheduled for the cold months- nvm who cares.

Just be careful with your ankles and throw your Buzz and VP a lot. 8)

If you play in a group, have half the group walk ahead and spot. Two sets of eyes is a million times better than just one. It may seem like a lot of time walking and waiting, but most likely you will be saving a ton of time you would have spent looking for discs. Both Ice Bowls I went to this year, whenever we had only one spotters or thought we were good enough to not need spotters, I guarantee you we spent ten minutes per hole locating all the discs. I personally called it quits on one and I was in with the search parties with at least three others being lost.

Also, splurge on whatever will keep your hands warm. Cold hands just become painful when a disc rips out of your grip. I personally have those hand muffs football players use and I have stuffed it with a rag and when of those hand-sized instant heat packets. I keep a thick glove on my left hand and keep my right hand tucked away until it is time to throw.

Ice bowl is a Discraft thing... It's usually a benefit for a local charity and Discraft thows in some goodies. Although the last one I played had innova stamped discs... I'm not sure what the affiliation is, but we always bring canned goods and the prceeds go to the charity.

Are you playing in Stevens Point on Saturday? Snow Throw Massacre? If so it's a tourny that seems to put good times in front of competition. The local Aceholes are all great guys of all different skill levels. I have no tips really... Throw em straight and encourage your group. It should be fun.

The greatest single challenge of throwing in snow and ice is footing. If you can't plant securely then your game suffers immensely. Even when you don't slip out, you still are not confident that you won't.

The best solution for poor footing is to drill sheet metal screws into the soles of your boots. Do it before the tournament so you can practice with them a few rounds.

Accept that loose footing will force you to lay up a bit in terms of just not ever trying to throw your hardest. Accurate throws are more important, unless it is a best throw team event. Throttle down your disc selection, focus on the upper body portion of the pull.

Some entry holes are elliptical, others are just disc-wide and 1/2" deep for a foot or so where they slipped under and displaced the snow. Mentally mark the landing, and you'll learn what to look for as you play. Blind landing zone = spotter, which actually speeds play more than hunting.

ps- you'll like Striker plastic even more

Depending on how the surface of the snow is, you may have to play for much more or much less roll/skip. If it is powdery, you can expect it to drop in, and stop immediately, so you plan your landing spot exactly. If the surface is a bit frozen over or icy, then expect it to skip like a mother. We get more ice here than snow, so when it is icy, sometimes you have to plan for up to 50 feet of skip/slide.

The snow throw massacre isn't really much of a tournament. It is more of a social gathering with a round of disc golf included. Make sure to bring your beer and anything else you do when you go out for a fun round. There will be people smoking and drinking in your group. If you do play well don't expect a good a good prize. Last year I placed decent in whatever division I played and I got some buffalo chicken seasoning, some coupons for noodles and company, and a day pass to sandy point. It is a very good time just don't expect serious golf.

I can't speak for the higher levels, but snowy/icy conditions are the quickest way for those with confident forehands to rise above the rest. Ellis touched on the poor footing which is quite a problem for backhand throws, but it's considerably easier to get a good bit of juice on a forehand with a single step or even no step and just a weight transfer.

thanks for the replies!!! rusch_bag I will bring some beers but dont smoke. should be a good time

well i finished 14h out of 44 in int. would have finished much better but my putting was the worst it has ever been. missed bout 7-8 putts from about 15 feet after i parked holes. makes me rage. oh well it was still a fun time, drank plenty of beers and was nice and warm out (like 30)