• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fixing warped disc

Jimmy

Eagle Member
The search function is still down...

How can I go about fixing (flattening, straightening) a warped disc? It's slightly tacoed, kind of bent. It's a KC Aviar if that matters.

run hot water on it, hot from the tap, not from boiling water if your in a hurry use a weight
you want domey, put it on a lid or another disc upside down, put weight in middle - while running hot water

want flat, lay upside down on flat surface, put weight round rim evenly somehow - get creative - while running hot water...

con cave top? put stamp side up, weight in middle, water...

i'd say if you have really hot tap water, you can "untaco" a disc in under 15 min, unless its really bad, 20-30 minutes you can start manipulating the dominess

if its a bad taco, you may have to gently bend it back once its warmed up, reapply your weight/water method, also, running super cold water over it BEFORE you move the weight off (think of using the cold to "set" the plastic)

any other questions? or clarifications?

jimmy, I think frank delicious said he somewhat fixed clovering on wizards. I'm not 100% though. Anywho,he said he put boiling/hot water in the flightplate and stuck marbles or bearings in it and it fixed it somewhat.not 100% fxed but better o think. I'm sure he'll chime in

MotoDj said:
run hot water on it, hot from the tap, not from boiling water if your in a hurry use a weight
you want domey, put it on a lid or another disc upside down, put weight in middle - while running hot water

want flat, lay upside down on flat surface, put weight round rim evenly somehow - get creative - while running hot water...

con cave top? put stamp side up, weight in middle, water...

i'd say if you have really hot tap water, you can "untaco" a disc in under 15 min, unless its really bad, 20-30 minutes you can start manipulating the dominess

if its a bad taco, you may have to gently bend it back once its warmed up, reapply your weight/water method, also, running super cold water over it BEFORE you move the weight off (think of using the cold to "set" the plastic)

any other questions? or clarifications?

Did I read wrong or did you just tell him to run hot water from the tap for 15, even 20-30 minutes, for a disc? Man, and some people get angry if you don't shut the tap while brushing your teeth or washing your hands. =)

booter said:
jimmy, I think frank delicious said he somewhat fixed clovering on wizards. I'm not 100% though. Anywho,he said he put boiling/hot water in the flightplate and stuck marbles or bearings in it and it fixed it somewhat.not 100% fxed but better o think. I'm sure he'll chime in

yeah what I did was a slightly modified version of the DX roc flattening process. Here is what I did.

1) Put disc flight plate down in microwave and fill it with water, heat for a couple of minutes

2) Soak up water (be careful, it's hot) and remove disc from microwave

3) Fill disc with something like marbles, ball bearings, or sand (compact well if using sand) and put the cookie sheet on top, weighing it down with something heavy.

4) Let cool for an however long you want. I usually do this a little bit before I go to bed and let it sit over night.

hot water from the tap stays hot for a lil while, you don't have to let it run for 20 minutes... get it hot, let it sit, do again if needed

I had a first run champ teebird that was tacoed as well as a first run champ boss both of these had very warped flight plates and I was told by a close friend to put water in the underside of the disc and then stick it in the microwave for no more than 20 seconds and then check it and continue the process until it is back to its original shape.
Now this worked on champion but I dont know about any other type of plastic.

Frank Delicious said:
1) Put disc flight plate down in microwave and fill it with water, heat for a couple of minutes
don't do this if you have a "foil" stamp
i put a discraft disc in the microwave before with a foil stamp and the stamp disintegrated and left small black burn holes in the disc after maybe 30 sec
not sure if the stamp was actually metal or what