• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flexibility effect on flight

BirdieMachine

Michael Moore Fan Club President
How does a discs flexibilty effect its flight? Are more flexible disc plastics more understable and more stiff overstable assuming everything else being equal?

I believe the density is gonna affect it more in that way than actual flexibility.

I would guess if you were throwing at a proper speed, a more flexible disc would flatten out due to the force the spin is creating pushing all the weight as far to the edge of the disc as it rotates around the center, but im not sure how that would affect stability in general. I guess it would be easier to tell comparing mold to mold as opposed to this plastic vs that plastic. It may have different effects on different molds.

Let's talk about a Blowfly on a summer day after it's been sitting in your trunk. Or those woven (knitted?) frisbees that you can fold into your pocket. I've thrown one of those and it's crazy overstable (maybe because of the small diameter?)

In theory the underhang (everything below centerline, so wing basically) would try stretch/twist away from the center, raising PLH, increasing overstability. But you'd need a pretty floppy disc to achieve that.

The only real difference I've noticed at normal power levels is that floppy discs seem to often be better at absorbing OAT. The P-P1 for example is great for my horrible forehand, loses the wobble in an instant.