• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Flipping MVP

I am a noodle arm. My bag is all MVP / Axiom. The only disc I have of theirs that "Flys like a brick" is the Resistor. It wants to fight to the ground. But it was designed to do that. While maybe low on the glide scale, I would not say the crave or Servo are glide less. Both get great distance and are accurate.

The highest glide I have I would say is the Wave followed by the Inertia and inspire. The fade comes much later in flight on their discs that have less glide than comparable discs from other companies though.

So the blanket statement that MVP lacks glide is not an entirely accurate picture, and tends to sound negative when it shouldn't.

Not true just stating facts. I throw with lots of spin, my discs don't fade as much compared to most good players.

Are you arguing that MVP have good glide because of the discs on the market they are easily the lowest. Most all of them have really flat tops and glide suffers. It's not even disputable.

We may be getting into semantics of what "glide" is. I doubt that any MVP disc will ever be mistaken for the high-gliding Lat 64 River or Fury when it comes to "glide". But my Impulse and Waves are not (relative) bricks like Firebirds and Starfires, either; they (Inertia and Waves) have decent carry in the air...

I find it kind of funny that this is even an argument.
MVP discs don't glide as much because they don't stay in the air with a low powered shot. MVP are not floaty discs.

I can't really blame the overmold, because the Nova and Atlas are decently glidey, both of which I throw. So it's something else, I'm leaning towards the molds themselves, and plastic material, and weight distribution.

Man you guys must throw some magical plastic. If MVP discs dont glide i must be able to throw some crazy far lines now with non gyro discs and not even try. :|:rolleyes:

I found the Wave to flip up fairly easily, at 169g for a newbie with somewhat of a noodle arm. I think a lot of the MVP drivers need some serious love though before they stop falling out of the sky for smaller arms. I struggled a lot with the volt and the photon at 169g. The fission photon I had at 160g was better though.

I can't really blame the overmold, because the Nova and Atlas are decently glidey, both of which I throw. So it's something else, I'm leaning towards the molds themselves, and plastic material, and weight distribution.
The Innova overmolds supposedly don't share the weight distribution characteristics of MVP-made overmolds. Not saying the softer full rim isn't a valid approach. But it retains the closer-to-center mass of a normal disc.

Anything with more mass toward the center is gonna fly better at under-powered shots, have more lateral work in the line (and I'd say a shallow turnover is mistakable for glide), and be overall easier to throw. Lat's thick plates have a lot to do with how their stable-understable stuff flies.

Coming from hyzer-flipping Millennium stuff all the time, I had to work towards a more flat release with MVP stuff. That was the hardest adjustment and I can't fault any hyzerflip throwers who don't feel like making that adjustment.

Yep i agree. Angles hold much better than conventional center mass weighted discs but glide isnt an issue at all.

MVP take more power(or snap if you prefer), simple as that. If you don't got it, you don't like it.

And once again, the thread gets detailed due to a couple of people.
I owned one of the plasma prototype switches and could never get it to flip(playground ate it eventually). I can flip my Inspire but not by much....well, its turn duration is shorter than most discs that speed. The Clash hyzer flips well, but the beauty of it is more for a forehand s curve.
For me, the Atom, Plasma Volt, Neutron Inertia and Fission Photon are the ones I throw on hyzer flip lines.
The plastic blend matters for me on what line I throw it on.

Lack of glide you will also notice with MVP. I've thrown many discs and that is based on experience.

This^

Lack of glide on many of their molds and i do think the gyro adds a bit of resistance to turn AND fade of the MVP discs great for certain shots but a big turn is often needed at times.

I agree with Birdie.
Pound for Pound, MVP does not glide as well as other brands. Moreso, I don't like how overstable ALL of their discs are. They are just naturally stable due to design. Even what you consider flippy is a brick compared to say, a diamond, sidewinder, fuse, etc...

This is a good disc to hyzer-flip. It is one of the few pre-2015 models that actually has decent glide.

I agree 100%. In my limited experience with MVP, their discs do not glide (most noticeably in Neutron plastic, which just falls out of the sky). It seems like their softer plastic does glide a bit, but holy lord I have a Neutron Volt that flies like a brick and is way too overstable for regular use. You are right, their discs are all very flat which takes away from the glide.

I find it kind of funny that this is even an argument.
MVP discs don't glide as much because they don't stay in the air with a low powered shot. MVP are not floaty discs.

This^

Lack of glide on many of their molds and i do think the gyro adds a bit of resistance to turn AND fade of the MVP discs great for certain shots but a big turn is often needed at times.

I even had a Theory but it's no Fuse. It's brick like for being an understable midrange.

I even had a Theory but it's no Fuse. It's brick like for being an understable midrange.

Yeah, the Fuse just goes and goes. Opto's are very usable, but GL's are hard to control. The Theory, like the Tangent, is a slower more putter-like mid. But Tangent's can be pretty glidey and long, it was almost right there with a Gauge I used to throw.

I've been mostly MVP for almost 3 years. I've bought and thrown almost every mold.

I love the brand because of how much control they have. They do have less glide. But less does not mean none.

If I want a really flippy disc I'll get a trilogy disc.

MVP so far can't replace my Comet, Fuse, or light blizzard Katana because of that lack of glide. The orbital sounds like it's the answer to the katana

It looks like MVP is getting better at this. The latest discs still have that control but seem to add more glide.

My 167 Wave is my money disc right now. I can make it do almost anything.

I've had problems hyzer-flipping MVP discs. IMO, it's due to nose angle sensitivity.

The Tangent is the only MVP disc I have a lot of experience with, but that was my impression with the Volt and Anode as well. (They weren't supposed to hyzer-flip, but I did notice some fairly harsh punishment to missing nose angle.)

I've been mostly MVP for almost 3 years. I've bought and thrown almost every mold.

I love the brand because of how much control they have. They do have less glide. But less does not mean none.

If I want a really flippy disc I'll get a trilogy disc.

No one ever said MVP has No glide. But it is noticeably less glide versus other companies.

And your implying about flippy disc = trilogy, is wrong. They're not all flippy. Stiletto, enforcer, scythe, xxx, trident, there are a lot of overstable trilogy.

I guess the thing I mainly don't like about MVP is it's too catered to one thing. If you notice flights, they are all pretty similar at the end. they are very dumpy when they lose their juice.

If anything, MVP should be thanking me for pointing these things out, so that if they're smart, they will improve upon.

MVP take more power(or snap if you prefer), simple as that. If you don't got it, you don't like it.

I subscribe to this theory as well. Many of the more recent MVP discs are easier to get going.

But des any of this really matter? Does anyone here really believe their game would drastically improve or suffer if they were forced to throw discs exclusively from one of the major manufacturers?

I'm positive my game really wouldn't change. Give me all dynamic, innova, discraft, or whatever and I'll figure it out.

I subscribe to this theory as well. Many of the more recent MVP discs are easier to get going.

But des any of this really matter? Does anyone here really believe their game would drastically improve or suffer if they were forced to throw discs exclusively from one of the major manufacturers?

I'm positive my game really wouldn't change. Give me all dynamic, innova, discraft, or whatever and I'll figure it out.

I think that's due to them filling out the more understable side of the lineup. Also lower weights. Used to be that getting an MVP disc under 170g was next to impossible, even for their drivers. They went down to low 160's and even into 150's with the 20mm drivers, normal Neutron and Proton...and then Fission. So, they're going to be usable for a larger % of disc golfers. And that's a smart move.

Put me in the low glide camp. Keep in mind that I am playing 5,200 ft. I have 36 MVP/Axiom disc that I almost never throw. A couple of week ago I put some dome on a few of them and the results are very promising. Switch now flies more like a TeeBird than a mini Katana and both the Photon and Wave bomb like a good, moderately domed Wraith.

In my opinion there are 3 types of discs, specifically drivers, that exhibit the appearance of glide or lack thereof.

First is a domey disc that flies straight with fade with the dome providing lift to keep the disc in the air longer, like a TeeBird or domed Volt.

The second type is a flat disc, like a FireBird or Motion, that has no turn and hard fade. They just don't stay in the air long.

The third type is is a flat disc, like a Valkyrie or Inertia, that has a lot of turn and solid fade. The flatness helps it cut through the air and the tension between turn and fade keeps it in the air.

For me, I'm throwing a mixture of all three types. A bag full of only flat MVP/Axiom doesn't work for me. Every time MVP has come to me with a sponsorship offer I have turned them down.

MVP discs are thin for the most part. MVP makes a lot of flat discs. The new drivers don't feel as thin so that should help.

I might have to film some stupid clean flying glidey turnovers with my MVPs for you folks. This is sad.

Latest posts