• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Flippy Xcal?

Project8046

Has anyone else encountered really flippy Xcals? My friend has a first run Xcal that i have no problem throwing huge hyzerflips with, its not really that beat up either. It has the protostar stamp and is *XC marked. The top on it almost looks vulcan like. I also have a Star xcal clearly marked *LXC any difference?

I have a pretty well worn star XCal that holds an anny line pretty nicely, but it's far from flippy!

I used to have an Xcal that I could flick on an anny and it would hold a good line, but the one I currently use is stable. I'm curious a out the LXC though, never seen that.

I stopped throwing xcals because I used them as overstable sidearm discs and backhand headwind fighters and they just didn't last (I threw first run stars and echo stars). Once they got flippy they lost their use for those shots and I didn't want to have to keep adding new ones every few months.

Then I found the night shift destroyer...

After getting to test a lot of discs, here's my list of the overstable high speed drivers(2.2cm rim width at least) in order from most to least overstable:

Nuke OS
PD2
Force
Blitz
Xcal/Ape (too close to call)

I did this quickly in my head, so I maybe overlooking something. As you can see, the Xcal is at the bottom of this list. The reason for this is because most of them, especially the Stars, have a little high speed turn if you really yank on them. Also, I feel like it is a very late fading mold, too much so to really trust a flex shot with.

..I was throwing xcals a year or so ago and experienced several different Xcal runs. Some super overstable, some stable, some flippy. I never had two that would fly the same.

..I then found the p-pd2 and c-pd2, much better more reliable than the xcal.

..I tried the Nuke OS and it's the most overstable of the lot. It's flying great, now that's it's broken in.

...pd2 for distance, Nuke OS for hyzer shots.

I had a pearly star Xcal that NEVER flipped. Then one time I threw it on a swamp hole and it flipped it self into a watery grave.

I had a pearly star Xcal that NEVER flipped. Then one time I threw it on a swamp hole and it flipped it self into a watery grave.

That's my history with the Xcal. I got a champ back when they were CFRs because it was supposed to be the most overstable disc imaginable in the most durable plastic. The only reason I wanted one was to combat the crazy swirly winds that come around on my home course, especially during the tournament (November). I tested the disc quite a bit in calm and light wind situations. It seemed really overstable and never went very far, so I thought it was footing the bill nicely. Then the tournament came, of course with crazier winds than usual, and on a shot that I wanted to simply hold hyzer all the way it flipped up, over, and never even tried to come back. It went out into the middle of the lake. To this day I've never done that with another disc.

BTW, is that new course at the state park in Bay City in yet? How is it? My wife is from there and I'm always looking for some good golf when I visit.