• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flx plastic

I just bought a couple of Flx Challengers because they felt so good in the hand. Havent tried them yet, but I hope they will be great for both driving and putts. Any Flx Challenger throwers out there?

The Flx Drone was the only Flx disc that lasted in my bag, but even that got replaced with a Pro D Drone. The only real positive I found for the plastic is the lack of kick off of the tree's.

i have a drone, buzzz, avenger, and surge is FLX
my experience is similar to all yours, except i dont have the arm for the surge, so its only been tossed a few times

the avenger i just got, haven't thrown but 7 times, and i dont have another avenger to compare to

flx is crazy slippery when my fingers are "pruny" wet... when it just the disc landing in wet grass, its grippy, but if i'm playin in the rain, and my fingers literally feel soaked to the bone... then the disc is as slick as they come (towelling off both discs of course)

for me, i think the flx buzzz is less stable than my z, but it may be due to added grip/inconsistent grip
flx drone is great, i like the d for actual drives, but flx is in the bag for skips and hooks

courses round here are tightly wooded, which is the main reason i got into the flx, its a huge difference when nicking a tree, hitting full, landing control... so much less deflection = easier 2nd shot,

2 things flx won't do is roll worth a poo, or "ignore" the thin limbs

i've always wanted to try flx for overhands... anyone have experience to compare the predictability? it'll take alot to get the ch firebird outta my bag, but i could see flx "stayin" where it hits more often, maybe an flx pred or flick? i dont even think they could make a flick in flx, it'd be ridiculous floppy... but i'd try one :D

NoMoreTinCup said:
While I would be hard put to pick a favorite plastic for my beloved Buzzzes, the FLX is always in the bag.
Proto Glo Z
2 FLX (Heavy and light)
2 Pro-D (New and beat)
There is definitely something to like about the flight of each of these, and I have no grip problems with the softer plastic.
FLX Drone stays in the bag too.
FLX Challengers have more glide, IMO, than any other Challengers.
FLX Preds are pretty wicked, getting ready to re-test some in a field for overstable control spot.
Other than that, all the FLX drivers I have thrown are meh. I have noticed however, that some people, usually with less power throws, seem to like the FLX versions of drivers moreso than regular plastics, so I can't say that there isn't a place for them in the world.
KP

This. My FLX and soft x Challengers have noticeably more glide than my pro d's. I also absolutely love my FLX Drone. I can't say that about any of the FLX drivers I've tried though (didn't like any of them.) I also agree with previous posters who state that the FLX plastic is VERY slick in the wet and cold. 2 1/2 years of golfing in Oregon taught me this lesson. One thing I have noticed lately about my FLX Challengers is that they seem to lose that predictable low speed fade into the chains on long putts all at once without warning.(funny that this was mentioned earlier) I never throw off the tee or practice putt with my main putter (putts on the course only) and the last two I've had in my bag have decided to just lose that predictable fade all of the sudden one day. This had led me to become more of a fan of the soft x for a main putter with a new pro d and beat FLX for compliments. The used FLX's are now designated for straight to turnover duties only. I have a white FLX that I bought when they first came out that is beat and is money for anny putts in the woods and short turnover lines. I honestly don't know if I'm going to buy anymore FLX Challengers for these reasons though. I may just do soft x and pro d because they cycle more predictably.

I've noticed a difference in flexibility between my white and light green Flx Challengers. The white one is very flexy, but the green is not that flexy.

So the Flx Challenger lose its original flight characteristics soon. It still sounds as they are pretty useful (I like to think that, I just bought them). A straight putter with little fade.

the FLX challengers are pretty kick ass, very grippy and easy to throw in very cold conditions, and the flx drone is pretty sweet too, but I have never thrown the D or Z to compare it to.

I'm not a big fan of flx for any drivers though.

I am going to go in the opposite direction of most of your sentiments. I love the FLX plastic in the winter. Beaten a little to take the newness sheen off the plastic and these discs have outstanding grip in colder or wetter conditions. I can live with the drawbacks that they seem to have a little less glide and distance than their ESP or Z versions, but the increased grip gives me more confidence in snapping and thus makes most of that distance back up.

I admit there is a loss in distance and glide but the other benefits of the plastic are huge. The plastic soaks up impacts, making ricochets off of trees less traumatic. While I have heard others observe that FLX just suddenly dies one day; up to that point they are impossible to damage and retain their flight characteristics up to that day where they just die. Finally, they are perfect for skipping off the ground (obviously more of summer thing than when snow is on the ground). I can think of at least four holes in my area where I purposely skip them off the ground, in each case I do it where they take an immediate 70 to 90 degree turn. The FLX Buzzz is perfect for tomahawks as I know it will not do something funny if it hits the ground at any angle less than flat.

My winter bag consists of a FLX Surge, Surge SS, Predator, Buzzz, and Drone.

During the summer I will replace the FLX Drone with a Z Drone for open field shots but only because the Z glides better. The FLX plastic just takes a beating, giving me the confidence to keep going back to it, especially when I am in trouble. I have a 2008 Worlds FLX Drone and it does it all from putting to 320 feet drives.

I love FLX plastic, especially the FLX Buzzz, and dont' have any problem with release. Maybe many of you are gripping too hard?

I can throw over 400ft and I don't "warp" the disc when I grip it. The FLX Buzzz has replaced all of my midnight and 1st run buzzzes.

I'm a FLX plastic fan as well. I only throw the drone and the buzzz, but I love them both. The FLX buzzz is probably the most stable of the buzzzes and the FLX plastic just absolutely never breaks in. I've had a FLX buzzz in my bag for over a year that never changed its flight in the slightest. Some people like to wear their plastic in, but I'd rather everything just flew like it did out of the box forever! I never power grip my buzz, I only use a control fan grip. No release issues for me. But then again, I've never thought any disc was "inconsistent"; I've seen a lot more inconsistent throwers than inconsistent discs :p

I will never ever go out to the course without my beloved flex drone. I use it for drives FH&BH up to 330', but my main use for it is flick upshots, getting around obstacles, skipping, FH Roller Escape shots and just plain crazy shots that I cant accomplish with any other disc. I use this disc more than any other disc in my bag and I have had the same one in the bag since they came out. I even tested this same drone against a new Z drone in the field and it was about a year old when this happened and it was still more overstable than the brand new z.

I will take a 2 of my brand new backups and the golden oldie out sometime this week and compare their flights to see how much stability it has lost and post results after the flights.

The drone is the only good FLX disc IMO though I have had one or more of eacb of the other ones and wasnt that impressed with the other molds.

NoLifeLeft said:
I dug up this thread just because I felt the need to rant. We've had at least a little snow and ice on the ground here in NorVa for the last month with winds consistently 20mph+ but I needed my DG fix so I figured with crappy conditions it'd be a fine time to try some stuff I don't normally throw. So, I picked through my bins of discs I've bought and never gave an honest try to hack together a bag to experiment with. Among these were the FLX versions of the Buzzz, Predator, and Surge. Result were:

FLX Buzzz - I use the Buzzz as my main mid usually and tried it in every plastic currently run. I think I can safely say this is the least desirable version of the mold. It lacks some of the glide of each of its brothers and I felt like I had to force it out to the distance I wanted. This extra effort is made even worse by the plastic flexing under the stress of a appropriately tightened grip.

FLX Predator - The FLX version of this disc loses all of the lovely glide that made me love the mold to begin with. I stuck with the Pred over all of the other overstable drivers because it was the first one I found that actually wanted to fly. A glide-free Pred is just sad. However, judging the disc on its own brings up even more problems with the plastic. The grip flex problems I found on the Buzzz were even worse on the lower profile discs and the FLX plastic doesn't handle the stresses of a hard forehand toss well at all.

FLX Surge - This one actually did glide fairly well. I still didn't like the flexy grip but learned to work with it as the day went on. With the ice and snow everywhere a new complaint against the plastic arrives, it's crazy slick when wet. Discrafts commercials always preach about the grip of this plastic in the cold, wet and cold... not so much. All of my FLX discs are very glossy and I had to towel them off like a madman between throws, especially the drivers. I think this stuff actually got slicker than hard Z when wet.

So to sum it up, I think plastic is somewhat useful for mids and should be avoided completely for all drivers. I do have a FLX Drone that I use all of the time. It has such a thick rim that it feels totally different (stiffer) to all of the other FLX discs I've tried.

My FLX Buzzz and Surge are used and don't have any shinyness.Yesterday they flew just fine and I can throw them reasonably far and well without using coconut crushing pinch power. So the discs won't deform to fly well. Especially Buzzz being a mid does not need huge snap thus hard pinch to fly well for most of the distance range of your power. Just throw 85-90 % of your full power and see if the flexing stops.

I can stand flx preds but I didn't like any other flx discs even remotely. Plus like others mentioned they just die one day.

I have 1 FLX disc in my bag.

1 FLX pred.

I use the FLX pred for overhand stuff because it hits, bends, and stays. I don't get erratic roll aways off of my overhands. This allows me to throw over obstacles, stick it on sloped chips, and it stays.

I also of course carry a Z pred for everything else I need a pred to do.

But I think that FLX works phenomenally for overhand

I carry two FLX discs in my bag. A drone and an avenger. Both in my opinion are killer discs. The FLX drone is WAY more over stable then the Z's, which is the whole reason to have it. I love using my flx avenger because I play very rocky and tree filled course normaly. I need a disc for my hyzer spike shots that wont be ruined after one throw. Also works great for VERY tight tree holes. If you hit a tree, it does not bounce 100' out of the fairway(or OB). It just falls to the ground.

However thats all that will ever make my bag, other then that its Z all the way!

anyone know if the 2008 worlds flx drones are the same (as far as the feel) as the production run ones?