• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying with Discs

stun

Par Member
For those of you that have flown to other locations with their discs, did you pack them in a suitcase with your bag separate, or did you use it as a carry on? Or, is there another way that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

For those of you that have flown to other locations with their discs, did you pack them in a suitcase with your bag separate, or did you use it as a carry on? Or, is there another way that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

I did it last night. I carried my Grip bag on the plane and had a handful of backups in my checked suitcase.

Did they give you a really puzzling look going through security? Haha

I fly with my discs all the time. I just use my disc golf bag as a carry-on. This question seems to come up every few weeks, and I give the same answer every time, so here's a new anecdote from my most recent trip.

After my bag went through the scanner at the West Palm Beach Airport, the TSA agent took a long look at the monitor. Our conversation went something like this:

"Is this your bag?"
"Yes"
"Can you tell me what's inside?"
"Golf discs"
"What?"
"Golf discs"
"What?"
"Frisbees"
"Ohhhh, okay"

On the same trip. On the way out, as my bag went through, I could overhear two agents talking. One was explaining what disc golf was to the other.

Usually I get little to no reaction though.

Carry on. Ain't no way I'm checking my disc bag. :\

I had one guy scan my bag, look really preturbed/scared, pulled the bag out, opened it like he was expecting a bomb, and then said in a really disgusted tone, "FRISBEES?!?!?"

I just nodded and smiled dumbly and they let me through just fine. :)

Thanks, guys! Sorry that I'm creating a repost, but with as many posts in this thread in a week, I didn't feeling like searching through it.

Last question... Is the Grip bag too big for a carry on?

Thanks, guys! Sorry that I'm creating a repost, but with as many posts in this thread in a week, I didn't feeling like searching through it.

You don't fly much do you? People take small suitcases as carry-ons. A grip bag is well undersized compared to most carry-ons I see.

I fly quite often, but the Grip bag is awkwardly sized with its fatter bottom... Also, I completely despise the people that carry those excessively large carry-ons, and I never want to be that guy.

Nope. Even fits nicely under the seat.

I fly quite often, but the Grip bag is awkwardly sized with its fatter bottom... Also, I completely despise the people that carry those excessively large carry-ons, and I never want to be that guy.

I carry-on my grip bag. It likely won't fit under your seat but fits easily in the overhead bins.

Edit: Apparently is does fit under your seat. I've never tried.

Thanks for all the help, guys! May the chains be ever in your favor...

Yup, I fly a fair bit with my discs. Mostly for travel other than specifically disc golf though so I'm usually packing my small bag, a squirrel monkey. I carry it on most times but I've thrown the whole bag inside my suitcase a fair bit as well, just depends on the packing situation.

Carried it on this weekend on my trip to Toronto and had no weird looks or questions.

I always carried a backpack style bag when I flew. Don't see what the difference would be in using a disc golf bag in its place.

That being said, you might want to pack a few things in your disc golf bag that you might need on the plane, but wouldn't necessarily need on the course.

I carry-on my grip bag. It likely won't fit under your seat but fits easily in the overhead bins.

Edit: Apparently is does fit under your seat. I've never tried.

I have put my Grip bag in the overhead bin and under the seat. No problem either way.

Some TSA agents have been interested in the discs, but most of them don't care either way in my experience. I do not trust the airlines enough to check any bag, let alone my disc golf bag.

FWIW, I have also taken my revo dual-pack as a carry-on, but I had to put that in the overhead bin because it was too big to put under the seat.

I've both checked and carried on my discs in the past. If I have a large suitcase, I will just put my dsic bag in and pack around it. This past weekend, due to lack of space and not wanting to pay to check a bag, I filled up the side pockets of my duffel bag with discs and put the rest in my backpack. The TSA agent got a rather puzzled look on his face and called me over, "sir, are you traveling with plates today?"
There was some definite judgment when I explained to him what they were.

The TSA agents get curious because of the weighting agents and stabilizers in the discs. They cause them to show up with more contrast on the monitor, and they key in and take notice when something looks like an array of regularly repeating metallic objects...
I met one who must've been a disc golfer, he knew right away what they were, and told me about why they showed up more than run-of-the-mill plastics.
Plus, they gotta do something to pass the time, and "Identify the Object" is probably the best option. One guy guessed plates once.

Carry on for tournament discs... packed suitcase with a dozen or so other discs.

Problem for me was in STL while waiting for my flight, I decide to test out some new putting techniques in a remote corner away from everyone... or so I thought. Security was called on me and I had to stop. I was making everything from 27 feet too! Too bad that didn't carry over to the Memorial the next day...

When I flew to Houston last fall, I packed a small bag, the one that discraft gave out at the 2011 Ace Race in my carry on bag. It was in with my clothes and such. I took about 6-8 discs max. They thought they were plates at the local airport. And one guy running the scanner told the trainee that they were frisbees. Coming back at Houston they didnt say a word about them.

I have a max sized carry on bag and the disc golf bag goes under the seat. The rules for most airlines say camera bag sized or equivalent for under the seat so no worries.

Latest posts