• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

For the love of Baseline plastic! Best baseline driver

Best driver mold in baseline plastic

• Dx Destroyer

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Pro D Force

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Dx Other

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Pro D Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ladysmanfelpz

What have you folks come to like for a DRIVER in baseline plastic and what role does it fulfill in your bag?

This is more so a discussion of drivers in the cheap plastic rather than the drivers themselves. I find most people in my area tend to find cheap plastic inferior to the champs and stars, but I think they are misinformed and just don't know how to use it. These two are what I believe to be the best molds for cheapy plastic drivers and since DX and Pro D tends to get some love on these forums I thought I see what others think on the opinion.

I've been playing about 5 years now and used to buy DX to wear one in quick and the low HSS helped me reach far when I was only like a 280 ft driver. I started turning them over more and more and my bag has cleared out of cheap plastic except for a few mids and putters, but I miss a good cheapy driver that I can rip far. I'm not much of a roller guy (Haven't learned the shot yet :? ) and prefer something I can give power to and don't have to worry about it turning over for a dive in the dirt, although I do prefer flippier discs and hate throwing super stiff overstable plastic that feels like a brick. I've come to like pro plastic the best and my driver line up currently is an S line hysteria, Star wraith, and pro boss. My pro katana is too flippy for me now, even with downwind shots, where I don't feel comfortable with it and find myself reaching for my boss more for the big open rips. I would like to pick up something to fill this downwind, hyzer, and even some left to right controllable drives and thought baseline plastic could do the job. So I'm really trying to find the best driver in the cheap plastic as I love the grip and the snap that comes with it. I find them all to be more understable at HS than stiffer plastics, but retain the LSS of its mold. That's why I would try to find the most stable, heaviest mold in baseline plastic and they season into looooong fliers with fairly good control and can do things no other plastics could. If I remember correctly I would say some outlived my pro's as pro's break in nice, but once they get passed a certain point in their seasoning they become unusable whereas the stiffer plastic of the dx will retain some of its flight characteristics even though the rim looks like it got chewed up by your neighbor's dog. The big difference I've noticed from the DX plastic to the Pro D is that the DX tends to chip the rim whereas the Pro D tends to fold more. By folding I mean like 1/8 to 1/2 inch wedges in the rim. Both offer incredible grip in any weather although I found the feel of Pro D plastic amazing. Through my experience the DX tends to last longer as I found my dented DX's becoming seasoned longer fliers where my Pro D's became too wedged up leading to a unusable, unpredictable disc. I haven't tried baseline plastic recently, but last time in a disc store it looks as if Innova changed their DX plastic and it looked more durable than ever. Does anyone know if this is true? Let me know your guys thoughts/experiences and what you think the best baseline driver is. Thanks a lot.

My experiences with cheapy discs:
Dx destroyer: The first disc I ever bought. This is what I learned on and I love the mold and had it going pretty far especially for such a young noodle arm both forehand and some weak back hand. I lost my first and picked up another down the road when I was much improved and driving in the 330 range. It flies like a destroyer and honestly I think it could outlast a pro destroyer as pro destroyers become way too understable with seasoning and unusable as a good driver. It becomes fairly understable although I wouldn't say more so than my pro katana. Release it with some sharp hyzer angle and that transformer stamp will shine at the heavens for a long smooth turn and still fade back with the same resiliency as the +3 its rated, but less so than its more OS champ and star counterparts.

Dx Valkyrie: Does not work in DX. Picked one up wanting to try the mold. Took one whack and rendered it completely useless. I discovered there is no way you can buy anything with a HS turn over -1 in dx. The plastic is already more understable and any seasoning will just cause a turnover machine.

Dx Boss: Sweet disc, sweet stamp. Tough to find in dx but I bought a one in 172 and had it going faaaaar. First drive with it was crushed. It flew like a boss requiring good height and nice slow flight, but definitely more understable. It seasoned fairly well for me and I continued to use it until lost.

Dx Firebird: Very overstable and works well in dx. Faster than a fairway, but slower than most drivers. I hated the thin rim on this guy, but I could see him seasoning into a long fairway driver with a nice gentle turn with the reliability of its overstability.

Dx Teerex: Best mold for dx. Grab one if you find one. Got one in AZ at memorial and had this guy going 380+ on forehand rips when I was a FH only player. Just like above, it developed a nice gentle turn even though its rated at 0, but still came back with its rated +4. After the firebird and this guy, overstable baseline plastic is the way to go for a far flier.

Pro D force: Amazing grip and feel. Big rim driver in pro D is just fantastic and had this guy going far, in fact so far that I lost it on a hole I overshot. Not as stable as dx in my opinion and wasn't even close to the stability rating of 2 it has. Makes me think pro D can't be used for drivers as this is one of the most stable molds offered in the plastic. This was many years ago so maybe I beat it up too quick and may give it another go now that my drive is much more predictable.

Dx Viper: In the bag now 8) Very overstable at +1 turn and +5 fade. I thought it would be toast by now but its lasted through 2 seasons and barely has any dings and keeps flying better and better. Fairly slow and flutters when released hard, but I've had it going over 350, but doesn't have near as smooth as flight as a higher speed driver.

My Verdict:
The Dx destroyer and Pro D force are the best drivers made in baseline plastic and can be used by a veteran player. My throw has changed quite a bit over the years and I have definitely increased my power, but I believe the dx destroyer and pro D force are capable of handling power and are durable enough to where you don't find yourself running back to the store to pick up another one and aren't altering your throw after each shot with it. I think if they are kept in good condition they will season into one of your furthest drivers and fill a unique spot in your bag. I am eager to pick up a destroyer for next season.

Pro is not a baseline plastic. I have tilted a TB 30 degrees to a depth of over an inch with a single tree hit. Since Eagles are supposed to flip and come back better from an anny than the TB i would pick that. My Pro Beast has been my go to driver for years on a rocky course that slashes DX on the first round. Too many trees and tight spots here for DX so i avoid it. Pro in a Beast and a SOLF lasts way longer and they are medium grade plastics. Soft P PDs are way less durable and the Destroyer wears much faster than the harder driver Pro blend.

Have you thrown Gateway S plastic that in most cases is the most durabke base line plastic. It can take tree hits well for a base plastic but it is still going to scar fast against bed rock on my home course. Cannot complain about sitting atop the thickest slab of rock on the planet because our earthquakes are rarely felt. I have not felt one in my life.

Pro D gets hurt faster than DX around rocks and it is too slick for me.

Mixed reviews for me on the DX plastic...

DX Roc - flew like a Roc at first... then quickly went from straight to unpredictable
DX Teebird - super flippy off the shelf
DX Leopard - super flippy off the shelf
DX Valkyrie - less stable than the Champ or Star versions but still usable
DX Orc - less stable than the Champ or Star versions but still usable... really close to an old mold beast

I've never used Pro-D.

That seems odd. How old are those discs because DX Roc material has changed over time and the older ones soft or hard were never that bad nor the DX TBs were hard flipping. Mine did flip a little when new and it is ancient. No idea about the DX Orc but i tested a used Pro Orc that was ridiculously flippy and the owner said it got that way fast. Valk was fine until the first hit which turned it into a roller! DX Leo old flipped a hair more thna old Champ when new and broke into fairly flippy in normal time for DX which is fairly quickly.

I love Dx Teebirds. I always keep one for a certain water carry hole because I can get them locally and cheap, but i find myself using it a lot on other holes. I also carry a Pro D Crush for yet another water hole. Again, cheap and locally available. I have an X Force, but may try the Pro-D when I lose the current Crush.

Not talking about dx mids or putts here. Dx seems to retain its flight characteristics at slower speeds. Plus most mids and putts are made with a bead, like the roc, which slows down the rate of wear of the plastic anyhow. You must've had a fluke roc or taken a large hit to make it unpredictable that quickly.

How does the avenger and crush fly compared to a higher end plastic and what do you use it for? Do you find it more understable, similar flight lines, has to be thrown at lower speeds, etc? Or do you grab it for the grip or simply because you don't care about losing it?

I might try a dx teebird next. I find the overstable discs with no rated turn, like the teerex and forgot to mention I had a banshee at one point, tend to make great dx discs as when they are snapped hard, they bring out just a tad bit of turn that can extend the distance, but won't turnover and still retain its original fade characteristics. That is why the teerex was awesome in dx, but I don't believe they make it anymore. I originally picked it up for the same reasons as you, a disc I didn't mind losing. The dx was the cheapest route to go and the overstability of the mold made it useable for 350+ arms. I found it became one of my top drivers and me reaching for it more. It fit a unique role spot in my bag as you could laser it as hard as you want and bring out a slight bit of HSS with the strength of your throw completely determining the distance of the flight.

the prod d avenger that are flat start out just as stable as the higher end plastic but breaks in faster.

Ehh I guess I was looking for something unique in that it is stable enough for my drive now where I am not altering my shot from disc to disc, but understable enough to fill the left to right shots for driver and tailwinds. And being dx plastic you get cool stamps and a plastic that hardly anyone throws. All my drivers are pretty stable, but to shape my drives with my wraith and boss it takes a lot of effort and doesn't always come out as intended. Think I'll end up going with a champ beast as my understable driver.

I will say though I do think the dx viper can fill a spot in anyone's bag. It is made to be in dx and excels at it. I can give it just as much power as my other drivers and it goes far. I had to start giving it a little more hyzer at the end of the season as my drive still slowly improves, but nothing where it feels out of control or you will turn it over. Great spot in the bag for a 90's day.

I went with the dx gator instead for my overstable mid. Its crazy beefy even in dx, but it still gives me a little give on throws. I've used it over a season and have noticed it isn't as predictable for FH shots as it used to be.

And shoot. I was thinking the beast would make the best understable driver in my bag but now I'm hearing mixed reviews on its plastic. From what I've heard the beast can be OS in champ and fly more like a -1, 3 but people say for dx as it holds up fairly well and say it flies more understable and is great as a downwind driver which I am looking for. Is it time to try a dx beast?

I know with my power now I can't have too much variability in my weights and stabilities or it will alter my drive. I've mostly gone away from dx drivers for this reason as I don't want something that changes dramatically from shot to shot and playing in mostly wooded courses here in the NW that can happen with a big whack. My drives are consistent and reach ideal flight for all of my drivers and I'm loving it :D. Now I would like something I can crank on just as much as my wraith but get more turn out of it without turning it over. I want something that can stay in my bag and handle my 380 ft power range but be more shaping than my go to wraith. BTW I've used a valk which I've heard is similar to the beast and it made great straight shots, but was fairly slow but had crazy good glide so was thinking a flat top beast could make great hyzer and S shots.

Help me out! I'm gonna pick up either a dx destroyer, dx beast, or champ beast here on Friday. Gonna spend the day calming myself and clearing my mind before I take the dreaded medical school admissions test :thumbdown: by playing some disc and then get to go down to visit my bro in AZ who lives right next to memorial :)

Sorry the DX Beast does not last in grassy landings for long and it is more understable than pro etc. Beasts. Around trees you will need something os to last any kind of time. So the Teerex would be better than the Destro. Besides fast plus 380' power plus trees demands more from dx than it can take. I have not thrown pro d drivers because i do not like the slickness but the d Force should start out os enough to break into something useful. Gateway S may be a safer bet for logevity. And slow is good for durability so maybe an Assasin would suite you. It is Valkish but straighter in having more hss although my experience is with e plastic.

I have no idea about what kind of disc that will be. I got a premium at release time and iirc Kai said that they turned out os so the later ones are not faster Firebirds any more. I also looked at basics and all had lower plhs but the plh varied a lot between discs. Being such a fast disc i am afraid of the thin outer edge bending in basic. Rocks and trees are probably not too friendly for it.

It's not what I hoped. Truer to -2 2 than reviews would suggest. Easy to turn at 350. I should have bought the premium plastic. I'll pick up one of those on next order.

I hope you get regular Slaidi then and not the super beefy at release type. Not every first run Slaidi was super beefy. Others have told that the regular straighter Slaidi is much more common now than they were during release. I don't know if they have even made those beefy variation discs since the release batch.

Dx Teebird always has a few spots in my bag at varying wear levels so that's an easy choice for me. They never beat in too far.

Next would be a toss up between the Firebird, Beast or Destroyer.

Firebird is a great all round utility disc that gets better as it beats in, forehand, backhand, overhead + predictable rollers - it would probably get in on its all round appeal. I have had some weirdly understable molds of this in the past though.

Beast I use only for two shots BH rollers and hyzer flips, so not that great an allrounder but definitely at least one always in the bag. Tend to get battered very quickly in woods. Straight out of the bag a new DX beast flys beautifully with long slower S curves, a few tree hits later and not so much, but allows long range sky rollers and the like with little effort.

Destroyer. Love them until they get really beat up and then they are a bit ruined for me so have stopped using so much. They were great for throwing long BH annys and FH, they just beat up past a usuable stage and I have to retire them which is annoying.

A few DX rocs will always be in the bag - not a driver but a goto disc on many holes. Never beats too far in. Beautiful discs.

Baseline drivers are underrated IMO. Base plastic feels and performs so well, but players gradually seem to be adopting more durable plastics for obvious reasons. Gateway makes truly amazing baseline drivers. The illusion is a fantastic all-around overstable high speed driver, the spirit is very fast and very overstable, and the slayer is very fast and turns and glides forever.