• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Yeah, some molds just seem to hold up better than others in g* for some reason. The teebird is one of them. It's not surprising. You could probably make a teebird out of paper mache and it would probably hold its stability until it got wet and fell apart.
Dave D. said in some interview that Thunderbirds mold up well in G* because of the thick shoulder, I assume TB is same.

I throw Rivals, but I have a 150g G* for a couple upshot at my home course. Even at that weight it does not feel too floppy ( but I like grippy discs). YMMV

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey does anyone know where I can get a champ glow(or color glow) teebird, in lower weights(165ish), for less than $20? Everything I see is either max weight, or $22+.

Hey does anyone know where I can get a champ glow(or color glow) teebird, in lower weights(165ish), for less than $20? Everything I see is either max weight, or $22+.

DiscGolfCenter has Glow Champion CFR Teebirds for $19.99 (and free shipping). There are several at 167 so not quite 165 but close (and just barely under $20 too).

Yeah, I think some of the lightest I've seen are still around 167-168. I have a 178 glow already, and love how it feels, I just think I'd be better off with something closer to my normal weight range. Thanks.

I like all of them but I just find that the stock runs are too beefy for what I would carry a teebird for. I like simple straight shots that carry for a while with a controlled but mellowish fade. I can't get that from the current stock runs cuz I'm probably a weenie arm. The Mint Alpha seems to have a pretty firm lock on this spot now. Before that, it was good feeling flatish Icon Rivals. The Alpha is longer for me.

Sometimes I carry a Brinster bird or a swirly star AJ Tour Teebird if it's really windy or I need it for certain shots. But the RDG Tyrant has also been holding down that slot for me pretty well lately too.

The older 11x era ST/B just flies so reliably and controlable for me at 300 feet. It's good to still have a few around if nothing else just to remind myself of where it all started for me 10 years ago. Cheers.

Which Alpha are you getting this kind of flight out of? I have one with a lot less hss than my tbs and another with a lot more fade, nothing in the sweet spot for me. Fun utility discs but not something I find myself reaching for on the tee very often. They seem to be a lot swingier than the birds I like, that go straight for a long ways and then fade.

I have an e* bird that I love! Great hss and glide for days, I'm worried about how I'll replace it as it beats in. How are the current star runs?

I do have a g* that I like, a little less glide and now that it's worn in a little it has less dependable hss.

Newer Star Teebirds that I've thrown are very stable. Significant fade with very little high speed turn. These are 2 newer AJ Signature Teebirds, one that I've been bagging as the stablest Teebird in my cycle. It's starting to beat in some now after a couple months in the bag. It has a titch of high speed turn now, but very little lateral movement. The fade is still there, and when it hooks up it does so in a hurry, and often with a big flair skip if thrown low and flat. I'm trying to beat it in in hopes that the HSS will stay and the fade will become less over time. I've noticed the fade kicking in later, but how hard it fades hasn't changed much, yet. It's a straight to fade fairway driver that I can crank on with 350' of power without any fear of it turning over, but it is currently fading harder than I'd like. Some people really like the very stable teebirds that have been coming out lately, but I pine for the old ones that have a controlled high speed turn and fade forward.

Hmm. I may have to start beating a new star in. Either that or live with the Gstar cycle.

I've relied on the Teebird for years now to take care of most fairway duties. For those of you that throw multiples...what plastic blends are you throwing? I have FIVE 'birds in the bag now and have thought about adding a sixth (but that might be overkill). For this winter I would like to slim the bag down a bit and keep it minimal...maybe only keep two in there until spring time. Right now I'm bagging...

- JL Teebird3: Wind Fighter / Skip Shots
- JL Brinster: Flex Lines and Hyzers
- G* TB: Straight Shots, Slight Annys, and Tunnels
- Starlite TB: Backhand / Overhand throws
- Pro Teebird: Rollers, Turnovers

Which shots are most needed? How can I cut this down to only a couple Teebirds to keep my winter bag minimalist?

I recently cut my overstable teebird in favor of a Sexton Firebird. I'm down to one 11x TB for straight to fade and an old beat in 10x for hyzerflips and turnovers that hold the line all the way. I want my teebirds to fly straight and have that magical glide. The sexybird is also much more controllable for sidearms.

In my bag:
E* workhorse straight to fade
G* similar but less stable, more for headwind lasers/hyzerflips and other situational spots
Star plus mold. More stable, great for flexing.

I use a g* thunderbird for any moderate headwind.

Teebirds in my Bag:

1) |Stable Teebird| Newer run max weight AJ Signature. Fades hard when it hooks up. Use it for headwind shots and things I want to finish left but not fade left as early as a firebird. Good for skip shots. I also use it for forehand rollers. I've also used a new Jen Allen Glow Champion Teebird in this slot lately, but have been trying to beat in the AJ sig because a beat in stable disc is lots of fun to throw.

2) |Workhorse| PFN Star *TB penned 172g. Broken into the sweet spot. Turns a little, fades forward. Versatile workhorse fairway. Any straight shot 300' and under, this is what I'm throwing. Also does just fine for hyzers.

3) |Flippy Workhorse| PFN Star S-TB penned 171g. This disc has been in my bag for 7 years now. Served as the stable teebird for a few years before becoming the workhorse teebird the last couple of years. Great disc, but it's starting to get noticeably more flip on it. Still good for straight shots, but requires more lateral room to operate than my current workhorse. Holds anny lines well without turning and burning. Decent for backhand rollers and forehand rollers that don't need to hold as long. #2 and #3 account for probably 2/3rds of my teeshots.

4)|Flippy Utility| Old DX Glow Teebird. I mostly use this for something I need to turn over immediately. Occasionally sees some use for rollers that need to get overquick. I probably throw this once a round at most unless I'm really hacking through the woods.

I cracked my 11x KC Pro Teebird at this weekend's tournament:(

I noticed it on the last hole of the first round. I was very sad. It has a one inch split in the very center... ah my poor watermelon red. I couldn't believe my eyes but knew it was the end. It was lightly seasoned, very stable, and I had hoped would glide to many more birdies for years to come. It would hold a hyzer into a moderate headwind and fade out of 350' flex shot on a lower line. I often flicked it through the woods and with 250' FH power I had it dialed in how much it would turn or flip up.

Anyway, as soon as I noticed the crack I spiked flicked rolled the bird 30' to my card mate bud in disbelief to show/pray the crack wasn't all the way through the flight plate. Another dude on the card immediately said that was my throw and insisted that I throw from my now illegal TB lie; even though I was 15' behind my mini and was obviously upset about the loss of my beautiful bird when I rolled it to my bud. I quickly said warn me for a practice throw if you must jerk but read the rules before trying to "F" someone. Dude has been playing for 25 years, you'd think he'd be more sympathetic to the loss of a good solider by now;)

Thanks for letting me vent/cry

I cracked my 11x KC Pro Teebird at this weekend's tournament:(

I noticed it on the last hole of the first round. I was very sad. It has a one inch split in the very center... ah my poor watermelon red. I couldn't believe my eyes but knew it was the end. It was lightly seasoned, very stable, and I had hoped would glide to many more birdies for years to come. It would hold a hyzer into a moderate headwind and fade out of 350' flex shot on a lower line. I often flicked it through the woods and with 250' FH power I had it dialed in how much it would turn or flip up.

Anyway, as soon as I noticed the crack I spiked flicked rolled the bird 30' to my card mate bud in disbelief to show/pray the crack wasn't all the way through the flight plate. Another dude on the card immediately said that was my throw and insisted that I throw from my now illegal TB lie; even though I was 15' behind my mini and was obviously upset about the loss of my beautiful bird when I rolled it to my bud. I quickly said warn me for a practice throw if you must jerk but read the rules before trying to "F" someone. Dude has been playing for 25 years, you'd think he'd be more sympathetic to the loss of a good solider by now;)

Thanks for letting me vent/cry

Sorry to hear about your loss(been there, done that, it sucks). Your cardmate should have given u a penalty for a practice throw if he felt like calling it, but you shouldn't have had to throw from that lie

Sorry to hear about your loss(been there, done that, it sucks). Your cardmate should have given u a penalty for a practice throw if he felt like calling it, but you shouldn't have had to throw from that lie

right, i'm still bummed... I got it in a trade with a friend and it made me happy

right, i'm still bummed... I got it in a trade with a friend and it made me happy

That's rough. Lost a circlestamp Ontario Cobra recently that I acquired from a buddy a while back. Good inch+ gash through the rim...it still hurts. My roller game is on point with a freshy but the air shots just aren't the same.

I'm here because I was a Teebird hater for the longest time [zero good reason] and, well, now I can't see myself ever stopping throwing them. Currently bag a Brinster, team stamped glow T3, and 160ish slight dome Star. Why the hell was I so stubborn all these years:wall:

That's one of the reasons I've moved away from OOP discs and plastics lately. Too afraid to lose them, and when it gets cold, the older plastic tends to crack on trees. And boy do I hit a lot of trees.

That's one of the reasons I've moved away from OOP discs and plastics lately. Too afraid to lose them, and when it gets cold, the older plastic tends to crack on trees. And boy do I hit a lot of trees.

May the chains of Sedge keep your SE Rhynos alive and prosperous.

For real though, yeah OOP stuff sucks in that regard and coincidentally I just read through your ITB thread. Apparently I gave you two sentences of advice five years ago? Anyway, I'll never stop throwing DX Cobras - nearly all of my shots with them are FH control/finesse rollers and not reliant on distance whatsoever. Seldom does an air shot even occur with one. Luckily with that style of use even one fresh old mold will last another decade-ish. Haven't held a current run DX but as of a couple years ago when the King Cobras first came out the DXs were plus rimmed like the "Ontario" King Cobra. Which by the way was totally NOT an accurate remake of the oldiebutgoodies.

I digress. /derail

Latest posts