• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

For you Gateway guys - The Apex

dgdave said:
Frank_Delicious said:
Isn't the Apache an old name for the demon or something?

The Hatchet was an early mid that turned into the Demon.

Thought is was the Scout and the Hatchet was something a little different?

I think I even saw some Hatchets and they may have been Early Speed demons (Post EDGE pre SD)

The Hatchet became the Demon.
The Edge became the Speed Demon
As for the Sabre and Apache thing, I don't know what to tell you on that one. I know that the Apache seemed kind of short lived. I might still have one or two in the closet.

From my memory, the Sabre and the Apache were originally the exact same mold.

The Sabre was run in stuff like the current S Plastic, the Apache was run in a more durable Urethane type plastic. The Blaze/Warrior were the same deal.

That original urethane plastic made the Sabre/Blaze much more understable. I had a 150g Warrior that was remarkably straight and glidey for approach shots.

When Gateway introduced the H Plastic, they ran the Sabre in those, and still called them the Apache (or G1i Apache)

Then Evolution Plastic came out, the G1i name came and went, and the Sabre name is all that remains.

So...I got some of the finished product testers today and hit the field. I got two crystal clear ones, one kind of cloudy/transluscent and one cloudy orange and semi translucent. So here are my findings...

The two crystal clears were very beefy in nature from what I was expecting. Reminded of a teebird in stability with more speed.

The cloudy/translucent one was noticeably less stable and similar to a TL. Threw some nasty bombs with this one as it stayed straight for a very long time.

The orange semi-translucent was the best flyer of them all. It had a slight bit of turn and it held it for about 90% of its flight. Threw some sick nasty bombs with this one too.

I would like to revoke my previous statements about these discs and give my new take on them.

1. I would not consider them to be in the same category of a wraith in speed or stability.
2. I would say that the glide is comparable to that of an assassin.
3. I'm not sure if I would consider this to be a fairway driver or a distance driver.

What were yours labeled? I was in St Louis for work thrs-fri and stopped by the shop. I picked up and played three rounds Saturday with a 172 savage translucent yellow , and with another disc Justin said they were going to call the apache. It was labeled 172 proto and was very clear with some orange and yellow starting to swirl in.

The apache was comparable to the sabre of the same weight but not as deep feeling in the hand and longer. I was bombing it at Endicott and JB keeping it low and flat or hyzerflippin' but it had trouble with the wind off the lake at Creve Coeur. It was easy to account for the wind and put more hyzer on it to get it out there. I'll be getting some more and trying them out a little heavier than the 172 I have. I'd have to call it a long fairway driver, not wraith fast at all.

The savage, also 172, was both faster and more stable than the apache. Maybe not wraith/desroyer fast but close. it seemed to be the same disc as the proto apache disc but with more of a bead. At 172 I needed to put a ton on it to get it to hyzerflip. Compared to the apache proto I was also trying out on second drives all day it flies straighter, faster, and farther before it fades off. I didn't throw this one as much as the other new driver. I'll do more field work with it this week.

Sorry for not having more "it flies like disc x, but fades like disc b" type descriptions. I've only been seriously throwing backhand drives for about a year now and I'm sure my comparisons to other things I throw wouldn't be too helpful since all I really backhand are sabres/eagle x's/destroyers

Coldpunk said:
Maybe not wraith/desroyer fast but close.

I don't think the Apache or Savage are close to the speed of a Wraith or Destroyer. I would say speed-wise, it is closer to that of a Viking or a Tracker.

I have two labeled as Savages and two that were labeled as proto's...which were the Apache's. The Apache's have a similar stability to that of an Assassin, maybe a touch less. I was throwing them at about 75% and flat and they would turn over right out of the hand and stay over for 95% of its flight. The Savage was like a beefier Assassin. I had to put some juice on the Savage to hyzer flip it. With a tailwind...the Apache flies very faaaar. Had a few shots with it that were well over 400.

The real difference between the Savage and the Apache is in the angle of the nose. The Apache has a sharper nose where as the Savage has a more rounded nose.

I just received the Savage and Apache...NOT Impressed at all.

I think these discs could have potential in different plastic cause I did have some nice tosses with them.

The CE plastic these were run in is just WAY to flexy. For me I want my drivers to be much more stiff like Champ/Star/Z etc.

The plastic these were run in reminds me of the flexy Daredevil Plastic and me no likey that plastic (which is the Only reason why I dont throw the Timberwolf, I loved that disc but the flexy plastic sucks)

Any way....unless the Savage and Apache are run in firmer plastic, I will never throw another one

Who wants 'em :wink:

Actually I told Dave that he needed to firm up the CE plastic. Anybody remember the semi-translucent "e" plastic from the bowling green am tourney about 2 or 3 years ago? They had the budweiser stamp on some sweet e-elements. That "e" plastic was the shizzle. If we can get some Savages and Apaches in that type of plastic...then it would be a winner. I too am in the same boat as you with the flext type plastic...not a winner in my book.

disc junkie said:
I just received the Savage and Apache...NOT Impressed at all.

I think these discs could have potential in different plastic cause I did have some nice tosses with them.

The CE plastic these were run in is just WAY to flexy. For me I want my drivers to be much more stiff like Champ/Star/Z etc.

The plastic these were run in reminds me of the flexy Daredevil Plastic and me no likey that plastic (which is the Only reason why I dont throw the Timberwolf, I loved that disc but the flexy plastic sucks)

Any way....unless the Savage and Apache are run in firmer plastic, I will never throw another one

Who wants 'em :wink:

SUPRISE!!!

dgdave has some protos flying his way

I didnt mind the flexy plasti at first when I threw the Savage but more and more I'm def. wanting to see it in traditional E plastic instead.

Latest posts